Larson reinstated by nascar for 21

His manufacturer could have stayed the hell out of it, but instead decided to grandstand.
NASCAR made a statement and so did all of his core sponsors, including Chevrolet. Why should Chevrolet act any different?

Mars condemned Kyle Busch for his pit road fight with Logano. If that sponsor abruptly leaves, arguably that entire #18 operation goes under. Are they not allowed to say something?

Yeah, BS on the personal attack stuff. I don't want him to fail. I want his change to be real....and honestly, I don't see professional athletes as role models. I don't trust them in that respect because they are not worthy of trust--we don't know them. The dude drives a car really fast, but he went to places we cannot tolerate. Just because he says something, doesn't mean dick to me. He is a race car driver. Let me be really clear about this....I hope that Kyle Larson is a changed man and is part of the change this world has to have....I don't want him to win races because he isn't in one of MY Toyotas--nothing changes there. The fact of the matter is that he had a lot of reasons to "change," and much of it has to do with $. I am skeptical when it comes to the "transformation" of wayward athletes--particularly when they come out the other end in better shape then when they entered.
I don't think the change is inauthentic on Kyle's part. I think what you may be implying here is that his change is due to circumstance, and isn't natural within the course of his life. His career taking a hit has forced him to re-evaluate his own racism, rather than naturally becoming sensitive to it, perhaps. As a result, we can't know authentic it is. I get that.

Would he have gone through this change if he didn't get in trouble? Probably not. Is there a professional motivation for him to change now? Yes.

So when do we start to value the behavior for change, instead of assessing his motivation for change?

I'm not sure this makes it inauthentic, and I'm not sure that not knowing Kyle's true motivation negates the effort he's put into change. It does make it circumstantial. I've long believed that we have to make mistakes to truly grow. Sometimes, we really need to **** up in order to make deep, personal changes. Whether it's a slow path that leads us towards change, or it's an event that rattles us to our core, sometimes a mistake can result in authentic change. A drug addict may not want to change for the right reasons, until he ***** up. Does that make it wrong for him to change? Yes, Kyle's change is circumstantial, but maybe this is the kick in the butt he needed to experience authentic change. Maybe Kyle was never meant to be sensitive to racial injustice without such a mistake. Maybe a supposed circumstantial inauthentic change is what guides him towards real change.

I do think his efforts are genuine, and being the child of an interacial couple himself, Kyle really may be learning from this experience. He's the the driver who said the N word. He could be a phony who followed the rules to get his job back. Or he can become a symbol of unlearning racism due to personal circumstance.

Either way, like DW said, "what you don't know, you don't know". I guess we have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think the change is inauthentic on Kyle's part. I think what you may be implying here is that his change is due to circumstance, and isn't natural within the course of his life. His career taking a hit has forced him to re-evaluate his own racism, rather than naturally becoming sensitive to it, perhaps. As a result, we can't know authentic it is. I get that.

Would he have gone through this change if he didn't get in trouble? Probably not. Is there a professional motivation for him to change now? Yes.

So when do we start to value the behavior for change, instead of assessing his motivation for change?

I'm not sure this makes it inauthentic, and I'm not sure that not knowing Kyle's true motivation negates the effort he's put into change. It does make it circumstantial. I've long believed that we have to make mistakes to truly grow. Sometimes, we really need to **** up in order to make deep, personal changes. Whether it's a slow path that leads us towards change, or it's an event that rattles us to our core, sometimes a mistake can result in authentic change. A drug addict may not want to change for the right reasons, until he ***** up. Does that make it wrong for him to change? Yes, Kyle's change is circumstantial, but maybe this is the kick in the butt he needed to experience authentic change. Maybe Kyle was never meant to be sensitive to racial injustice without such a mistake. Maybe a supposed circumstantial inauthentic change is what guides him towards real change.

I do think his efforts are genuine, and being the child of an interacial couple himself, Kyle really may be learning from this experience. He's the the driver who said the N word. He could be a phony who followed the rules to get his job back. Or he can become a symbol of unlearning racism due to personal circumstance.

Either way, like DW said, "what you don't know, you don't know". I guess we have to wait and see.

Why are you bringing Kyle into this, doesn't he have enough problems with no wins this season?
:sarcasm:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the idea that Kyle is a racist at all. I think he just got caught talking to a black friend the way they probably talk to each other, and how they probably talk among themselves in a group, which is why it probably came out of him so easily. I've heard some of the things that black men (and women) will say to each other that shocked ME, and I feel like I've heard it all. It's one of the traps you can fall into when you hang WITH a group, but aren't quite one OF the group. I was a witness to a similar situation with straight friend and a gay couple that he was friends with, and I was an acquaintance of. Those guys were a lot of fun, and when the liqour started to flow, they would say some of the most offensive things to each other and laugh it off. One night my straight friend got a little tipsy and basically repeated what one of the couple had said to the other, and in about two seconds, the temperature of that room dropped about 50 degrees. It all got smoothed over, but I don't think I have ever been more uncomfortable in my life. I personally feel that in Kyle's situation, all of this sensitivity stuff is just a dog and pony show, more for public consumption than any need to change his heart.

I mostly agree. I think he needed more to change how he acts than needed to change what's in heart, although I think there's mor reason to change his behavior than just how the public perceives him.

Not completely sure about that source, however, if true, I wonder if this is more due to funding etc, whether due to his pay cut this year or the economy in general, or if it could be more to do with his new boss (Hendrick?) not wanting him to go race there.
I'm not sure how much sense the latter makes, given that he has someone else driving for him.

You want him to fail, just say the quiet part out loud. The guy ****** up and said the gamer word to a live audience. He’s a public figure and more than that he’s a husband and a father. He’s admitted his imperfections and made purposefully himself vulnerable at the national level. He’s made himself wide open for education and maturity. He’s followed all of the necessary steps by his former employer for reinstatement and has agreed to continue to follow future guidelines of the recovery program. He’s done literally everything.

Humans are imperfect and sometimes we step in a huge pile of dog ****. You’re on a high horse about him and virtue signaling a holier than thou mentality.

You either have an unhealthy obsession with his failure or you are willfully staying ignorant and unsatisfied.
This...
It’s okay to cut a guy loose when he could danage the company. It’s okay to rehire him when he’s demonstrated he lnows what he did wrong and says he wouldn’t do it again.

As to whether anyone is watching, remember that nothing has been announced yet. We don’t know what the media will cover or how the public will react. You make it sound like redemption is never publicly acceptable.
And this.

Not completely sure about that source, however, if true, I wonder if this is more due to funding etc, whether due to his pay cut this year or the economy in general, or if it could be more to do with his new boss (Hendrick?) not wanting him to go race there.
I'm not sure how much sense the latter makes, given that he has someone else driving for him.

Definitely true and officially announced. Yes, it is likely to do with his sharp cut in income this year and the financial difficulties created by the pandemic. You're correct, he did not drive for his own team and its existence would not be a problem for Hendrick. Kasey Kahne owned his WoO sprint car team through his tenure as a Hendrick driver.

Definitely true and officially announced. Yes, it is likely to do with his sharp cut in income this year and the financial difficulties created by the pandemic. You're correct, he did not drive for his own team and its existence would not be a problem for Hendrick. Kasey Kahne owned his WoO sprint car team through his tenure as a Hendrick driver.
and IMO, he was distracted so much so that his performance was affected enough to cost him his ride.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. You nailed it. Perfect analysis.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the idea that Kyle is a racist at all. I think he just got caught talking to a black friend the way they probably talk to each other, and how they probably talk among themselves in a group, which is why it probably came out of him so easily. I've heard some of the things that black men (and women) will say to each other that shocked ME, and I feel like I've heard it all. It's one of the traps you can fall into when you hang WITH a group, but aren't quite one OF the group. I was a witness to a similar situation with straight friend and a gay couple that he was friends with, and I was an acquaintance of. Those guys were a lot of fun, and when the liqour started to flow, they would say some of the most offensive things to each other and laugh it off. One night my straight friend got a little tipsy and basically repeated what one of the couple had said to the other, and in about two seconds, the temperature of that room dropped about 50 degrees. It all got smoothed over, but I don't think I have ever been more uncomfortable in my life. I personally feel that in Kyle's situation, all of this sensitivity stuff is just a dog and pony show, more for public consumption than any need to change his heart.

Work to do.

For the record, I don't think he's racist either. But he did ignorantly make a racist statement. What I'm saying here, is that I don't think any of it really matters, because the change he is making is good, and is likely authentic.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. You nailed it. Perfect analysis.
Just to piggyback off of it, give him a chance. Regardless of the motivation for change, he's making efforts to change. Maybe he is learning something and is really taking it all in. I'm a glass half full kinda guy, and I like Kyle. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I totally understand where you are coming from though.

Just to piggyback off of it, give him a chance. Regardless of the motivation for change, he's making efforts to change. Maybe he is learning something and is really taking it all in. I'm a glass half full kinda guy, and I like Kyle. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I totally understand where you are coming from though.

I really want it all to be real. Skeptical is probably not the right word....more like reserved. Change is essential in this process. The world can't just start over.

happened

Larson signs with hendrick to drive the 5

Back
Top Bottom