Looks like Jimmie is getting a New Chief

Kyle Busch provides more than sufficient fodder for use when whacking The General.

His injury, medical waiver and championship earned in the same year does not fall into that category. Just my opinion, of course.
Fair enough and duly noted, I have zero qualms with your opinion on this topic.

You might be the first person to EVER use the word diva and Jimmie Johnson in the same sentence. The absurdity of that comment aside, if anybody in this sport has ever EARNED the right to be a diva, JJ would be in the top five.

Jimmie "Diva" Johnson

It's Show Business

and if you don't think that Jimmie has been making demands -- then Bless Your Heart.

LOL wow......

That's about the same as calling Harry Gant a diva. Complete nonsense

Jimmie "Diva" Johnson struggling on stage and looking a bit used up -- so now he's making demands to move personnel. Chad not good enough, Meendering not good enough, blah blah blah...

“We have to act now is the bottom line,” Johnson said. “We don’t have any time to waste.”

#jjdiva

Jimmie "Diva" Johnson struggling on stage and looking a bit used up -- so now he's making demands to move personnel. Chad not good enough, Meendering not good enough, blah blah blah...

“We have to act now is the bottom line,” Johnson said. “We don’t have any time to waste.”

#jjdiva
You should tweet this to him. It would be a fun back and forth lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#jjdiva

And even if we accept your version of events, this would make him different than what champion driver? How many crew chiefs has Kyle, or Kurt or Kevin or even Denny burnt through? Between 1989 and 1995, Rusty had five crew chiefs.

the problem I see is meendering hasn't been bringing one of the better HMS cars to the track each week. every week I look at practice times. Its rare that jimme is the fastest of the 4 right off the truck. The thing I see that really says it IMO is the 24 car is outrunning the 48. That should flat out not be happening. The 48 car needs to be at the top when it comes to speed simply among the HMS cars if nothing else. From what I am seeing that doesn't happen. That to me says the CC is the problem. We are also seeing the 24 be faster in the race too in many cases. Like I said in another thread if jimme was driving the 24 instead of the inexperienced william byron, I think he would have at least been in contention to give the leaders a run at least twice this season. Instead jimme isn't challenging the leaders and is often the slower number 3 or even 4 HMS car.

#jjdiva

How many CC's did Dale Sr. have from 1992 to 1998?

#jjdiva
Yeah, they had to make the move now before the *insert drinking word* starts and JJ is on the outside looking in. Time is a ticking not only for this season, but for JJ to get results and his career as well. Every race counts at this point and he knows it.

Its not as crazy as you make it out to be. A diva, too? Man, folks are really reaching... A diva would be someone who would put it out there publically for everyone to hear. That's not JJ's style, he handles it behind closed doors and keeps his business hush until ready to disclose.

I don't think there is ANY doubt that Jimmie and HMS as a whole are concerned about improving the 48 car and getting into the playoffs. One Jimmie IS the marque driver on that team, he is what Jeff Gordon WAS there. Two, I'm sure Jimmie knows (as does Rick and everyone else) that Jimmie doesn't have two or three years to see if a crew chief pans out. Also consider that they have a new sponsor on the 48, a sponsor I'm quite sure HMS would like to keep for the rest of Jimmie's career and beyond, so I'm sure there is pressure there to get results from a sponsor of that magnitude. One thing is for sure, Jimmie is a loyal soldier and a team player, and we'll likely NEVER know whether he had a little, a lot or no input at all in the crew chief decision. And as I implied, even if it was 100% his decision, ( I seriously doubt it) he's EARNED the right to demand changes like that. That does NOT make him a diva.

How many CC's did Dale Sr. have from 1992 to 1998?

Well. let's see.... Kirk Shelmerdine, Any Petree, Larry McReynolds, Kevin Hamlin. Kirk insists that he quit RCR, others still maintain he was shown the door. He HAS made jokes in my presence about getting fired though. Petree left to own his own team, and Hamlin was his CC when Dale died. I think it would be fair to say though that Dale got Larry Mac "moved" from the 3 to the 31 car.

Well. let's see.... Kirk Shelmerdine, Any Petree, Larry McReynolds, Kevin Hamlin. Kirk insists that he quit RCR, others still maintain he was shown the door. He HAS made jokes in my presence about getting fired though. Petree left to own his own team, and Hamlin was his CC when Dale died. I think it would be fair to say though that Dale got Larry Mac "moved" from the 3 to the 31 car.

Didn't he have another guy in '96, after Petree and before McReynolds?

BTW, the Blackened Shrimp and Grits at ACME Lowcountry Kitchen in Isle of Palms is amazing -- I love visiting Charleston!

Anyway, bringing in another CC to wet nurse Jimmie will hopefully solve his issues.

David Smith?

You are so right, Snappy, don't know how I missed that one. Probably because long time RCR guy Smith sort of blended into the woodwork, even while working for the Intimidator. I think he got benched to bring in McReynolds, which in retrospect was probably not a great move. Larry Mac and Dale always seemed like the odd couple to me, and despite his success, I know a lot of people were never real high on Larry.

Yes Hendrick we get it. JJ is the Diva -- all must make him look good or leave. It's just business -- Show Business.
Rick didn't get to his level because he wouldn't take chances. I am sure he is aware JJ's time in the sport is short now and it is to his advantage to get the most out of it. He has other good drivers but they are not quite on par with JJ. Many say it was all Chad but lets remember, not even JG could drive JJ's set ups and those setups are dictated by the driver.

You are so right, Snappy, don't know how I missed that one. Probably because long time RCR guy Smith sort of blended into the woodwork, even while working for the Intimidator. I think he got benched to bring in McReynolds, which in retrospect was probably not a great move. Larry Mac and Dale always seemed like the odd couple to me, and despite his success, I know a lot of people were never real high on Larry.
Larry Mac wasn't a bad CC at all, but it seemed like he was a much better fit with RYR. He did great with Allison and Irvan. Just seemed like he and Dale did not really gel as expected.

Dale Jarrett was typical Jarrett diplomatic, but on the Dale Jr's podcast the other week, he didn't exactly have glowing memories of his one year with Larry Mac. I think maybe he is just an acquired taste. Hard to argue his success with Davey and Ernie.

#jjdiva
I wasn't at the meeting so I wasn't aware JJ gave Chad the boot. I thought Rick made the decision to get his future star running better. Looks like that decision is starting to pay off.
Why waste one of the better CC's in the garage on an older experienced Driver. Notice how Kyle B. changes CC frequently and keep running up front? Same can be said for Dale E.

Most driver/crew chief pairings sour after a few years. Jimmie and Chad were the one in a million, just ANOTHER reason that they DESERVE praise for. For a decade and a half, they put success as a team ahead of everything else.

Larry last two years I think before Dale didnt put up too much of a fight when Mac was moved to the 31 of Skinner. I always liked Shelmerdine, seemed like the perfect pairing with Earnhardt and gosh he was so young too! He just disappeared, cool guy though from what ive read and heard of him on the Dale Jr podcast.

Larry last two years I think before Dale didnt put up too much of a fight when Mac was moved to the 31 of Skinner. I always liked Shelmerdine, seemed like the perfect pairing with Earnhardt and gosh he was so young too! He just disappeared, cool guy though from what ive read and heard of him on the Dale Jr podcast.
Memory serves me correct Dale had Mac moved. He helped him win the Daytona but the two never got along as CC and driver.Dale ran that team and got what ever he wanted.

2019-07-30-16-16.png

Comparison of stats from last year with Knaus.

Everything is better for the most part... Look at the average qualifying and finishing position though. JJ already has one more top five and is extremely close of matching his top 10 mark from last season. He's not far off IMO, but they need results and results now. This is only after 21 races, so far.

Still, improvement is needed big time to compete.

Kind of reminds me of Dale Jr in 2009-2010.
That dude lost confidence, his crew chief was so lost...not sure if I’d go that far the 48 has shown signs of life this year. What Jr went through in that time period that 88 was so bad, I felt bad for the guy. Nothing is worse than Lance McGrew. Whew bad memories.

I think maybe at Jr Motorsports he was his C.C. in some 88 Hellman's one off's. Believe they won Richmond together.
I thought they said Kevin was a rookie CC

I thought they said Kevin was a rookie CC

maybe they meant in Cup..... I could swear he was the CC for Jr when he raced the 88 at JRM. Racing-Reference will show us the way

Who subbed for Knaus during his several “sabbaticals”?

Who subbed for Knaus during his several “sabbaticals”?

Well, despite popular myth, there were only two. The first four races of 2006, Darian Grubb subbed for him. The finishes with Darian on the box were 1, 2, 1, 6. In 2007, Chad missed races 19-22 when NASCAR threw both him and Steve Letarte out for four weeks for the bodies they showed up with at Sonoma. Supposedly the bodies actually FIT the templates at every MEASURED spot, but were radically altered in between those points. HMS appealed the suspensions and lost, so the suspensions didn't begin until a couple of weeks later. Ron Malec subbed for Chad and they went 37 (crash), 39 (crash) 5, 3.

What happened to Malec again? Didn't he retire or go to a different organization?

Back
Top Bottom