Martinsville Pre-race Race Thread

Did you know?

57 drivers have Coors Light poles at MartinsvilleSwy led by NASCAR Hall of Famer D. Waltrip w/ 8 Jeff Gordon leads all active drivers w/ 7

Did you know?

Jeff Gordon has made 40 career NASCAR Cup starts at tight, physical Martinsville, and been running at finish in all of them.

I like Junior,...but that just aint gonna happen
You know he still has been beating 33 other drivers minimum each week this year. Not really unthinkable that he would win at Marty. Jr. has one of the major skills his dad had,.lap after lap within a 10th. If he's got gaps he's got laps. Playing this way gets you top tens, and "put's you in position" more often then not.

Brad tweets famous picture: "Dumbasses, my view".
Only my opinion here but if I was Jimmie's spotter I would have HAD gobs of time to see and predict what was happening and then tell Jimmie "3 wide stay high!" . If he had managed to give Clint and Jeff the room to side argue, at worst it was a fight back from 8th or so. It really was his dive into the second lane to try and beat Jeff out of corner that caused the wreck. The danger of hyper focusing on one other driver only.

Dal Jr. Martinsville ride.

BG3GB9aCMAAmUeD.jpg:large

I really liked that dark green and black scheme he had a couple times. I think last years martinsville and michigan

I really liked that dark green and black scheme he had a couple times. I think last years martinsville and michigan

The Amp paintjob? I think he runs that about 25% of the time. Diet Dew gets the other 25% and National Guard car is the other half of the year.

I don't think Gordon will win this weekend but I believe he will record another solid top 5 at the paper clip. It will probably come down to Johnson, Kahne, and maybe Kurt Busch. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kurt in victory lane.

Yeah the AMP one. I didnt know he ran that paint more than a few times. It did just start last year though I think.

What I like about short tracks and superspeedways is that under funded teams get to have a real shot at getting a good finish. I think short tracks especially get to reflect the driver a lot more than intermediate tracks

You know he still has been beating 33 other drivers minimum each week this year. Not really unthinkable that he would win at Marty. Jr. has one of the major skills his dad had,.lap after lap within a 10th. If he's got gaps he's got laps. Playing this way gets you top tens, and "put's you in position" more often then not.
I just looked up Jr's last 8 Cup starts there 3rd, 21, 2, 7, 15, 7, 8, 29........not bad at all and better than I remembered for some reason. Anyhow I hope he does well and am looking forward to Racing!

Thanks. The curbs = Lohan comparison is a image I'll never be able to get out of my head again.

66 posts in and nobody has mentioned Princess Sparkle Pony yet. This Smoke vs. Home Slice shemozzle must be worse than I thought.

Goodyear Tires Notes / Fast Facts

• Tire:
    Goodyear Eagle Short Track Radials (Sprint Cup);
    Goodyear Wrangler Short Track Radials (Camping World Truck)
  • Set limits:
    Sprint Cup: 5 sets for practice/qualifying, and 11 sets for the race;
    Camping World Truck: 4 sets for the event
  • Number of Tires:
    Sprint Cup: Left-side -- 1,325, Right-side -- 1,325;
    Camping World Truck: Left-side  325, Right-side -- 325
  • Tire Codes:
    Left-side -- D-4588; Right-side -- D-4590
  • Tire Circumference:
    Left-side -- 87.5 in. (2,222 mm);
    Right-side -- 88.6 in. (2,250 mm)
  • Technical Inspection Inflation:
    Left Front -- 25 psi; Left Rear -- 25 psi
    Right Front -- 25 psi; Right Rear -- 25 psi
  • Minimum Recommended Inflation:
    Left Front -- 10 psi; Left Rear -- 10 psi;
    Right Front -- 23 psi; Right Rear -- 22 psi
  • Notes: Teams in both NASCAR series in action at Martinsville this week will run the same tire codes, though the Sprint Cup tires will be branded "Goodyear Eagle," while the Camping World Truck tires will be branded "Goodyear Wrangler" . . . this is the first time these teams have run on either of these two tire codes . . . compared to what was run at Martinsville last year, this left-side tire code (D-4588) features slight construction and compound changes, while this right-side code (D-4590) features a minor compound change and has slightly less gage (tread depth) . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Martinsville last August 7-8 . . . drivers and teams participating in that Gen-6 test were Carl Edwards in the No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, Kevin Harvick in the No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet, Jimmie Johnson in the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet and Martin Truex Jr. in the No. 56 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota . . . as on most NASCAR ovals one mile or less in length, teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Martinsville.

I am VERY excited for Martinsville! The last few years I would argue that M'ville and the road courses have gave us the best racing...as good as the first few races of this season have been, I am really looking forward to seeing it get turned up a notch at the paper clip!

Did you know?

20 of 128 races at Martinsville have been won from the pole.

6 of those 20 wins came from active drivers: Tony Stewart ('00), Jeff Gordon ('03 twice), Jimmie Johnson ('08, '12) & Denny Hamlin ('10).

Did you know?

The deepest in the field that a NASCAR Sprint Cup race winner has started at Martinsville was 36th, by Kurt Busch in the fall of 2002.

I am VERY excited for Martinsville! The last few years I would argue that M'ville and the road courses have gave us the best racing...as good as the first few races of this season have been, I am really looking forward to seeing it get turned up a notch at the paper clip!

Agreed.

For all of the negativity that gets posted about NASCAR, racing is still the purest from of entertainment one could ever hope to enjoy.

Still being served web ads (via trailing cookies) for Martinsville tickets. Still a little astonished it's not sold out. Should be a great race.

Personally, I hate this track because its so hard to pass on. There are so many other tracks that nascar should be racing at. I have no idea why the paper clip is still on the schedule.

Personally, I hate this track because its so hard to pass on. There are so many other tracks that nascar should be racing at. I have no idea why the paper clip is still on the schedule.

This right here should raise some hackles :D

While I don't agree that Martinsville shouldn't be on the schedule, I do wonder if the racing there doesn't translate well to TV. I guess it's good that they race on a variety of tracks so most of us can be equally dissatisfied ;)

This right here should raise some hackles :D

While I don't agree that Martinsville shouldn't be on the schedule, I do wonder if the racing there doesn't translate well to TV. I guess it's good that they race on a variety of tracks so most of us can be equally dissatisfied ;)

YOu have a point. Possibly the wrecks and ensuing drama makes for good tv and ticket sales and God knows nascar needs both right now. I would still preferre Rockingham or another date at Darlington.

Back
Top Bottom