Matt DiBenedetto appreciation thread

The Matt D story is overblown and taken on such an emotional context that I'll be glad when it's over;

AND ALL THE emotional coverage it garners DURING and AFTER the race is getting sickening.

That's not me looking too much into it - that's NASCAR/Networks and their cackling talking heads investing too much time into the Matt D narrative.

He's getting moved -- life goes on.

Your wording is more aggressive than mine, but yes, I agree right here.

Pretty relevant if sitting in Newman's seat. Matt wins and it puts him on the playoff bubble. Haven't you been listening to the head gerbil? EVERY POINT MAAATTERS! :p

Newman always has a reason.....most of the time it's because he's one of those "racers."

Bad move by Toyota, I doubt the story is going away. People still know and recall what happened to Joey, and Barney no matter how much B.S. is piled on top of it.

The Joey, Barney, and perhaps the Matt stuff loses all credibility because of the anti-Toyota bias. Find me a true fan of the company that agrees with you.

The Joey, Barney, and perhaps the Matt stuff loses all credibility because of the anti-Toyota bias. Find me a true fan of the company that agrees with you.
keep telling yourself that. Nowhere in the same time period has anybody, team owner or OEM, pulled what Toyota has done. But ya know winning is everything right?

Matt D is trying to make NASCAR a soap opera or maybe Oprah. Too many hardened NASCAR fans in here melting when they see the Matt D sappy emotions -- it's a bad look. It's even worse than watching Natalie D grab a hat and throw it down.

And if I were his owner/string puller -- Bob, Joe, TRD, Toyota, Sponsors or whatever else is in your imagination -- and Matt D is trying to amp up pressure to keep him in the ride, I'm probably cutting him loose just to get the clingy emotional wreck away from my team climate and race cars.

There's always more to the story of why one driver is chosen over others. Austin Dillon at RCR is pretty simple to figure out. Chase in a top ride is easy to figure out.

But Matt D? Who knows what else Bob knows or considers when navigating the elephants in the room for keeping his team competitive. I don't live in NASCAR circles, but there's always seems to be more to the story when it comes to high profile big money decisions.
This is pathetic

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Much of the fan base doesn't think he is getting moved but getting screwed. ;)

That's kind of the problem I have with all of this drama. I wish one of the "journalists" would ask him the question regarding whether or not he knew what the plan was--he wasn't screwed because he was aware--hell, we were all aware. "Journalists" won't ask that question because it would take all of the drama out of it. The bottom line is this.....Do you keep Matt in that seat, or put Bell in that seat? I love Matt, but this is a no brainer, and everybody including the dislikers knows it.

That's kind of the problem I have with all of this drama. I wish one of the "journalists" would ask him the question regarding whether or not he knew what the plan was--he wasn't screwed because he was aware--hell, we were all aware. "Journalists" won't ask that question because it would take all of the drama out of it. The bottom line is this.....Do you keep Matt in that seat, or put Bell in that seat? I love Matt, but this is a no brainer, and everybody including the dislikers knows it.
Time will tell but I think Bell will find himself down the rat hole driving outdated leftover equipment, and the Shills will be saying it's all ok. Toyota should have done the right thing and helped Leavine field a second car

keep telling yourself that. Nowhere in the same time period has anybody, team owner or OEM, pulled what Toyota has done. But ya know winning is everything right?

There is no point in arguing this really. We are on the opposite sides of bias. I suspect that the middle says....Five cars and the lead in the Drivers and Manufacturers Standings is pretty damn epic. They haven't pulled anything that hasn't been pulled by Hendrick, Roush, etc. a million times over. The optics are different for obvious reasons. Joey is doing just great. Barney did what he wanted to do. Hopefully, Matt will take advantage of the opportunity NOBODY else was willing to give him, and turn it into something big.

Toyota should have done the right thing and helped Leavine field a second car

Sure, then we would be hearing about how Toyota outspends everybody. You can't have it both ways. I am sure they helped, but as much as I would like it, yo are not going to see a Toyota sponsored car for a whole season.

Time will tell but I think Bell will find himself down the rat hole driving outdated leftover equipment

No he won't, and the narrative will then become Matt did more than Bell with less--unless Bell lights the whole series up....then the narrative will be that Matt got set up to make Bell look good. The disliker narrative is becoming predictable. Matt is worthy. There are many owners out there. They have their shot now--just like they did with Joey.

. They haven't pulled anything that hasn't been pulled by Hendrick, Roush, etc. a million times over. .
Like I said when in the same time period have you seen multiple drivers released/screwed, team owners bankrupted by inflated fees, teams/crews on competing teams suspended for racing hard. Sorry dude, some of us aren't buying the shill. We have seen the backstabbing first hand.

Time will tell but I think Bell will find himself down the rat hole driving outdated leftover equipment, and the Shills will be saying it's all ok. Toyota should have done the right thing and helped Leavine field a second car
Yeah maybe bell is the next david ragan. We really don't know, the hauler driver can win in gibbs NXS cars.

Like I said when in the same time period have you seen multiple drivers released/screwed, team owners bankrupted by inflated fees, teams/crews on competing teams suspended for racing hard. Sorry dude, some of us aren't buying the shill. We have seen the backstabbing first hand.

Spin it hard man. Spin it hard. "First hand" is a bit of an overstatement don't you think?

Yeah maybe bell is the next david ragan. We really don't know, the hauler driver can win in gibbs NXS cars.
They got rid of a cup team that gave them 1 of their two championships. I sure don't see them giving Bell/Leavine anything they can win reliability with. Leavine doesn't have enough money or sponsors like Barney had.

Pretty relevant if sitting in Newman's seat. Matt wins and it puts him on the playoff bubble. Haven't you been listening to the head gerbil? EVERY POINT MAAATTERS! :p
It wouldn't change Newman's point of dollars by 1.
The leader passing him only means he has to run one less lap.
and backmarkers should not effect the outcome of the race.

Wrong. Newman is #15 in the championship standings. I can't think of anyone out there who would have done anything differently than he did.
Except every other driver!

They got rid of a cup team that gave them 1 of their two championships. I sure don't see them giving Bell/Leavine anything they can win reliability with. Leavine doesn't have enough money or sponsors like Barney had.

Barney didn't have sponsors.

you don't know what you are talking about. If Matt would have won the race the win and your in kicks in and the win less all move down a position. In Newman's case that would put him in the last spot for the cutoff. A bad day or another first time winner and Newman is out of it. That's the view from Newman's seat. Hamlin winning again wouldn't make any difference to Newman's position, but Matt winning would. Matt was also the driver that was going to put him a lap down also. I'm not defending Newman, it's racing for points and position.

Look, I'm not a superfan of Matt D at all, but for him to have a straight face after everything that has occurred is tough. Guys like Matt D, Chastain, Bowman, and Keselowski are modern stories of coming from the bottom. Stories I thought many fans would like, we slob all over Chastain (no offense to his fans), but Matt D is a bit different. He's never had anything decent to show his potential, he's crawled from BK Racing and Go Fas. Made those teams better than what he originally came from, even had some good runs for BK Racing. Bristol is one of his better tracks, and it shows from last night.

I don't mind the raw emotion from him, it goes to show how much this ride meant to him as an opprotunity. He shows more fire than most so called PR robots we have now in days fans complain about. Now we complain, bitch, and moan about showing emotion. Yeah, the redditors can be annoying with their fandom, but hell give this man a round of applause for his performances the last two months. Matt D has been fantastic and has earned his keep, I hope he keeps up this momentum for the rest of the season. As someone who also who wears his emotion, I understand where he is coming from. This so called soap opera stated by another poster is BS btw. He just needs to keep kicking ass and being himself, being emotional is fine.

I hope he wins at Road America next week.

And if the caution had come out, as it does occasionally at Bristol? Big difference between being on the lead lap and restarting 11th in line vs. getting the lucky dog and restarting at the back of the pack.

The extent this stuff is going towards, is about to make me buy a Ryan Newman shirt

Barney didn't have sponsors.
5-Hour leaving was the nail in the coffin, that was the primary sponsor for the organization. Every other sponsor, I'm not sure if any of the sponsors were Truex's personal bids. 5-Hour was the anchor of them all though and Barney didn't want to spend anymore of his own money. It's just brutal honesty of it all and JGR raising prices didn't help.

Business is business at the end of the day and Barney's decision has to be respected as well.

Look, I'm not a superfan of Matt D at all, but for him to have a straight face after everything that has occurred is tough. Guys like Matt D, Chastain, Bowman, and Keselowski are modern stories of coming from the bottom. Stories I thought many fans would like, we slob all over Chastain (no offense to his fans), but Matt D is a bit different. He's never had anything decent to show his potential, he's crawled from BK Racing and Go Fas. Made those teams better than what he originally came from, even had some good runs for BK Racing. Bristol is one of his better tracks, and it shows from last night.

I don't mind the raw emotion from him, it goes to show how much this ride meant to him as an opprotunity. He shows more fire than most so called PR robots we have now in days fans complain about. Now we complain, bitch, and moan about showing emotion. Yeah, the redditors can be annoying with their fandom, but hell give this man a round of applause for his performances the last two months. Matt D has been fantastic and has earned his keep, I hope he keeps up this momentum for the rest of the season. As someone who also who wears his emotion, I understand where he is coming from. This so called soap opera stated by another poster is BS btw. He just needs to keep kicking ass and being himself, being emotional is fine.

I hope he wins at Road America next week.

I'm not a super fan either, but his coming out in a Rocky costume and doing all he did not only at Bristol but at certain races where the driving matters, what he has done in a second rate car all year has been impressive. It's a 20th place car at best for the most part. Fan or not no one can doubt his ability at the cup level.

5-Hour leaving was the nail in the coffin, that was the primary sponsor for the organization. Every other sponsor, I'm not sure if any of the sponsors were Truex's personal bids. 5-Hour was the anchor of them all though and Barney didn't want to spend anymore of his own money. It's just brutal honesty of it all and JGR raising prices didn't help.

Business is business at the end of the day and Barney's decision has to be respected as well.

yep Barney/FRR did have a sponsor, snatched from HScott/Boyer. It's amazing how some want to try to change history when the facts are there first hand.

There is speculation “inside the garage area" that 5-Hour Energy could be headed to Furniture Row Racing next year, where it will be the primary sponsor of a new second Cup entry from the team, according to FS1’s Kenny Wallace. FRR Owner Barney Visser would be “getting his wish” of adding a car to the No. 78 Toyota currently driven by Martin Truex Jr., and there will be “money coming along with it.” Wallace said, “For the last five years, everybody has always roughed up (Visser) -- ‘Barney, when are you going to start a second team?’ And Barney has always said, ‘Listen, we'll start a second team when we have a sponsor.’” FRR GM Joe Garone indicated that “all the key elements and pieces are coming together” for a second car. FS1’s Kaitlyn Vinci noted Erik Jones has been mentioned as a possible driver for the car, as he “already is in the Toyota family.” 5-Hour Energy currently sponsors the No. 15 HScott Motorsports Chevy driven by Clint Bowyer (“NASCAR RaceDay,” FS1, 7/31).

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...ing-and-Sponsorship/Furniture-Row-Racing.aspx

I've been following MattD this season. Someone on this forum recommended him at the start of the season (sorry - forgot who). It was a good call.

yep Barney/FRR did have a sponsor, snatched from HScott/Boyer. It's amazing how some want to try to change history when the facts are there first hand.

There is speculation “inside the garage area" that 5-Hour Energy could be headed to Furniture Row Racing next year, where it will be the primary sponsor of a new second Cup entry from the team, according to FS1’s Kenny Wallace. FRR Owner Barney Visser would be “getting his wish” of adding a car to the No. 78 Toyota currently driven by Martin Truex Jr., and there will be “money coming along with it.” Wallace said, “For the last five years, everybody has always roughed up (Visser) -- ‘Barney, when are you going to start a second team?’ And Barney has always said, ‘Listen, we'll start a second team when we have a sponsor.’” FRR GM Joe Garone indicated that “all the key elements and pieces are coming together” for a second car. FS1’s Kaitlyn Vinci noted Erik Jones has been mentioned as a possible driver for the car, as he “already is in the Toyota family.” 5-Hour Energy currently sponsors the No. 15 HScott Motorsports Chevy driven by Clint Bowyer (“NASCAR RaceDay,” FS1, 7/31).

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...ing-and-Sponsorship/Furniture-Row-Racing.aspx
HScott (RIP) already was in the middle of dissolving though, 5-Hour was out in the open to be taken away at that point. Not to mention, Erik Jones needed 5-Hour to sponsor that 77 car that season. 5-Hour was ready to leave Clint and that insane mess Harry Scott's team was in 2016.

HScott (RIP) already was in the middle of dissolving though, 5-Hour was out in the open to be taken away at that point. Not to mention, Erik Jones needed 5-Hour to sponsor that 77 car that season. 5-Hour was ready to leave Clint and that insane mess Harry Scott's team was in 2016.

yep, and Barney was sponsoring Truex for the most part out of his pocket with a brand new alliance agreement from Toyota. 5hour stayed with the company when Jones moved over to Gibbs after they booted Kenseth and they sponsored Truex. Why couldn't Barney continue to sponsor Truex again? The costs skyrocketed with no manufacturer help.

"They would have to have their heads examined to get rid of me." That was before Bristol happened.:p Personally it looks like another foot in mouth move by the Toyota camp to me, not very popular with fans of the sport anyway. I think it will be a good outcome though, a real good chance of Matt getting a decent ride and hopefully better than a 20th place ride.

upload_2019-8-18_11-23-38.png

Knew it would be bad around here today, but completely aware that it would be worse had the 95 won. There isn't one entity involved in all of this that won't benefit. Yet, many skew this to the Evil Empire/Preacher/Puppet narrative. What a shame. It's a great story bringing out the worst in this forum.....again.

Personally it looks like another foot in mouth move by the Toyota camp to me, not very popular with fans of the sport anyway.

Who are these "fans" you speak for...oh, sorry.....of.

5hour stayed with the company when Jones moved over to Gibbs

...and of course you are aware that due to the Monster Series entitlement sponsorship, they were required to stay with FRR, right?

nonsense.

Oh no, it isn't sir. No, it isn't. 5 Hour was frozen with FRR as part of the Monster deal with NASCAR...which was better than all other energy drinks being forced out.

OPTIONS LIMITED: YAHOO SPORTS' Nick Bromberg noted 5-hour joined Furniture Row in fall of '16 and was "allowed to keep its sponsorship" despite Monster Energy inking an entitlement deal for NASCAR's Cup series. However, the brand has been "prevented from moving to another team if it wanted to keep sponsoring someone in the Cup Series" (SPORTS.YAHOO.com, 10/15).

Homework is essential.

I could see he or Buescher being named as a potential replacement for Jimmie at HMS.

Being that there is no heir apparent to that seat right now, I certainly could get on board with Matt getting that seat. I think you would have to find a place for him to hang out for at least one more year though, and so far, the rides that have been mentioned are not up to what he deserves.

nonsense.
Remember, 5-Hour was grandfathered in after agreeing with FRR to sponsor the 77:

This was after Monster announced they would takeover as the primary sponsor of NASCAR. 5-Hour was given the blessing from Monster to allow sponsorship as they are both energy drinks/shots/supplements, etc.

Irregardless Barney had sponsors, but the OEM/Gibbs jerked the rug out from under him.

This may not hurt Furniture Row Racing as much as Lowe’s leaving Johnson’s car, however, as Truex Jr. has Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats and Auto-Owners Insurance as primary sponsors with Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats on his car (along with 5-Hour ENERGY) for the majority of this season’s races. Meanwhile, Johnson has never had a primary sponsor other than Lowe’s in his Cup Series career.
Furniture Row and Denver Mattress have also sponsored Truex Jr.’s car in the past, and with Furniture Row sponsoring the team themselves, the departure of 5-Hour ENERGY should not really put the team in any imminent jeopardy in any way,

https://beyondtheflag.com/2018/07/19/nascar-5-hour-energy-leaving-2018-season/

Back
Top Bottom