Matt DiBenedetto appreciation thread

I missed that one.

So ... in summary, it’s fair to say that all of the participants in this on-going series of business transactions are in compliance with NASCAR’s rules and with the RTA’s membership requirements.

Anyone know how serious barstool sports is about sponsoring DiBenedetto ?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Honestly, I think the odds are pretty good that we see them on a car next year. Maybe him, maybe someone else. Portnoy has fallen in love with the sport since he first came out to the track in February for the 500. The drivers have really taken to him as well. I think it would be a great relationship.

I would say those guys have been weeded out...the only veterans left are Harvick, JJ, Kurt and Newman. Would you say JJ and Newman are the wheel holders because Harv and Kurt are still producing at a high level
I’m talking about guys like Newman, Clint Bowyer, Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Aric Almirola & Paul Menard.

I’m talking about guys like Newman, Clint Bowyer, Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Aric Almirola & Paul Menard.
Interesting take. I consider Bowyer relatively successful but if you have a chance at a Matty D or Bell in the 14 I’d thank him for his prior service and move on. Almirola id have no problem doing the same. Stenhouse I was on board with seeing how he’d do at SHR, but you know what? I’d take the prior two drivers I mentioned over him, Newman is showing it might not be the Roush equipment...might be the driver of the 17. So if we lost Bowyer, Almirola and Stenhouse not sure that’s a big loss. Menard? Same. I think with Penske equipment and solid sponsorship (MAYBE some help from Menards? Motorcraft would stay) Matty D in the 21 would peak my curiosity. Brings me back to Newman...I think he has some left in the tank, If I’m Roush I keep him and get a new driver for the 17. But again this is all speculation and other people’s money. I think this silly season is going to be really really interesting and surprising when all is said and done.

Honestly, I think the odds are pretty good that we see them on a car next year. Maybe him, maybe someone else. Portnoy has fallen in love with the sport since he first came out to the track in February for the 500. The drivers have really taken to him as well. I think it would be a great relationship.
The El Stool Presidente. Lmao. I think at age 34 I’m a bit old for their target demographic ( isn’t it college kids to late 20’s?) so I don’t know what bar stool sports is never been on their website or browsed their coverage. I do however follow Portnoy on twitter and he seems like he’s hooked on NASCAR and giving coverage to the sport on his twitter feed which is pretty awesome.

Newman proves RFR is not a serious threat for wins in Cup this year -- but Newman is doing what it takes (sorry Matt) to point his way into the bloated field of 16 for the Playoffs. Stenhouse is wedded to the House of Jack and apparently is under contract to wreck their cars thru next season. Stenhouse, like Larson, are both getting a bit exposed by their elder teammates.

Last edited:
Interesting take. I consider Bowyer relatively successful but if you have a chance at a Matty D or Bell in the 14 I’d thank him for his prior service and move on. Almirola id have no problem doing the same. Stenhouse I was on board with seeing how he’d do at SHR, but you know what? I’d take the prior two drivers I mentioned over him, Newman is showing it might not be the Roush equipment...might be the driver of the 17. So if we lost Bowyer, Almirola and Stenhouse not sure that’s a big loss. Menard? Same. I think with Penske equipment and solid sponsorship (MAYBE some help from Menards? Motorcraft would stay) Matty D in the 21 would peak my curiosity. Brings me back to Newman...I think he has some left in the tank, If I’m Roush I keep him and get a new driver for the 17. But again this is all speculation and other people’s money. I think this silly season is going to be really really interesting and surprising when all is said and done.
Remember a rising tide picks up all boats. The level if young talent in the feeder series now eligible for Cup and current Cup drivers like Buescher & Matt D. ready for better equipment should ring some alarms for wheel holding veterans.

All I know is, Nascar needs more drivers like DiBenedetto. He at least shows personality and emotion. Enough drivers like that will draw fans in. Outside of a few like Bubba Wallace and Ross Chastain, a lot of these kids are just so ... boring. I watch Xfinity fairly often but I'd have a hard time picking Bell, Reddick, or Custer out of a lineup. I hope Matt lands in a decent ride. He's a good guy, and good for the sport. (We also need some more "bad guys" too. Kyle Busch won't be around forever.)

I don't watch NASCAR or other forms of motorsports, for personalities.

Calling out your boss on social media for having a mental issue -- because he won't retain you is absurd, immature, and unwise. Whimpering on TV after you lost a race is just awful. And that hug with Hamlin was just a bad optic, Matt looked like a fragile child.

Calling out your boss on social media for having a mental issue -- because he won't retain you is absurd, immature, and unwise. Whimpering on TV after you lost a race is just awful. And that hug with Hamlin was just a bad optic, Matt looked like a fragile child.

I'll just leave it at that because personalities is what made this sport what it is. I mean this is a different age and time. Now it's bad to give respect to competitors? I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. Dapping up Denny in VL is a bad optic? Okay then, its called respect for the guy who raced you hard. I guess its a bad optic he stayed past midnight signing autographs to fans, I guess its a bad optic for every finish, he gets a tad bit emotional. I remember the 6th place finish for BK vividly, dude raced his heart out and you see the entire team embrace him.

That's all bad optics from your POV though to show emotion and be your own man or woman.

Matt has said he made inquiries about the 20 Xfinity car for JGR and there's nothing there for next season. Sadly I think the best this guy is gonna get is a FRM ride

So much for the golden parachute like Hendrick did for Kahne when he went to Leavine. Not surprised. It would be nice if they at least lifted a finger with a ride or two in something. As far as I am concerned, a large corporation not taking into consideration the public's perception from a large group of fans and showing at least a little good faith for what has turned into being a black eye for all involved, is not good business.

Most people are fans of drivers and not make of cars in this day and age I hope you know.

I would agree with you which makes the anti-Toyota sentiment so perplexing. You can't be a fan of a manufacturer, but you can dislike one? Interesting. Regardless, still looking for the Toyota fan who supports the JGR Evil Empire narrative.

So much for the golden parachute like Hendrick did for Kahne when he went to Leavine. Not surprised. It would be nice if they at least lifted a finger with a ride or two in something. As far as I am concerned, a large corporation not taking into consideration the public's perception from a large group of fans and showing at least a little good faith for what has turned into being a black eye for all involved, is not good business.
Are you jumping the gun or jumping the shark?

After Bristol I think all 3 of these corporate entities owe the young man further opportunity. Perhaps we should wait to see if they deliver.

You have a courageous and unique take on this situation. One that I really do not disagree with. I love Matt (like everybody else today), but I don't necessarily agree with his narrative in light of the fact that he knew about this for a very long time. His emotion within the context of "yeah, I knew it was coming" would be more authentic IMO, but there is a desperate need in this forum for some to advance an anti-JGR/TRD theme.

Slightly off topic.....Hamlin's apology for winning concerns me as a Toyota fan. I have never ever heard an athlete gunning for a championship apologizing for winning--ever. In sport (which this is--not real life....even though we have heard that Matt is driving for his life), you step on the throat of your competitor when you have him down. You do not apologize for success. Do you see the greatest champions in the history of our sport doing that? Hamlin has never been better than he is right now. He has never had a better chance to win this, but his Matt love shows a fragility that suggests he is vulnerable. I hope he doesn't overthink this.

All I know is, Nascar needs more drivers like DiBenedetto. He at least shows personality and emotion. Enough drivers like that will draw fans in. Outside of a few like Bubba Wallace and Ross Chastain, a lot of these kids are just so ... boring. I watch Xfinity fairly often but I'd have a hard time picking Bell, Reddick, or Custer out of a lineup. I hope Matt lands in a decent ride. He's a good guy, and good for the sport. (We also need some more "bad guys" too. Kyle Busch won't be around forever.)
Reddick and Custer have pretty good personalities. Bell I never see speak or on social media.

Are you jumping the gun or jumping the shark?

After Bristol I think all 3 of these corporate entities owe the young man further opportunity. Perhaps we should wait to see if they deliver.

How about I was looking at it from a PR angle. It's conceivable that Bell and his bunch could suffer from the bad taste that was left because Matt has attracted the attention of the racing public and pulled some heartstrings. I guess Toyota can double up on their new country style adds.

How about I was looking at it from a PR angle

Here's another angle....How about a narrative (which is without bias) that these three corporate entities provided Matt D. with an opportunity to advance his career? Where would he be this year without this chance? If Matt was promised something more than he got, then I can accept the "screwed over" narrative, but the truth is that he wasn't. He knew. They knew. I am not sure anybody owes him anything, honestly.

I think they are missing a hell of an opportunity. They should put him in adds, put him in a top car and promote the hell out of him. He sure as hell has more personality than most of the drivers in Nascar.

I think they are missing a hell of an opportunity. They should put him in adds, put him in a top car and promote the hell out of him. He sure as hell has more personality than most of the drivers in Nascar.

Lots of money on a guy who has yet to prove that he will run in the top 10, and contend every week. Don't get me wrong....I hope he does, and he might just have the talent to do so, but this isn't what he has done....and again, I know there are reasons for that, but nevertheless, the millions it takes to promote a guy needs a return that lasts more than a couple of weeks.

I would agree with you which makes the anti-Toyota sentiment so perplexing. You can't be a fan of a manufacturer, but you can dislike one? Interesting. Regardless, still looking for the Toyota fan who supports the JGR Evil Empire narrative.

I never said that, I just said that they are more people who are a fan of drivers over what they drive. Of course you got people who only like a driver if they drive a certain car, and you got people who dislike someone who drives a certain car. :idunno: I got drivers from Chevy, Ford, and Toyota that I cheer for. I also got drivers from each that I don't like.

Lots of money on a guy who has yet to prove that he will run in the top 10, and contend every week. Don't get me wrong....I hope he does, and he might just have the talent to do so, but this isn't what he has done....and again, I know there are reasons for that, but nevertheless, the millions it takes to promote a guy needs a return that lasts more than a couple of weeks.

Look at what he's done at tracks that are driver tracks. Road courses, Bristol, etc......and he done it in OLDER JGR Equipment. Only one JGR car beat him the other night, the rest of the ones behind him, had better cars and he still beat them. Dude can drive for sure. Put him in some up to date stuff, and let him loose.

Hamlin's apology for winning concerns me as a Toyota fan. I have never ever heard an athlete gunning for a championship apologizing for winning--ever. In sport (which this is--not real life....even though we have heard that Matt is driving for his life), you step on the throat of your competitor when you have him down. You do not apologize for success.
It's called empathy. Everyone of these guys has fought for their first win. At the Cup level, some are still fighting. It hurts to be so close and then lose it, and every one of them knows what that feels like.

You'll notice his empathy didn't stop Denny from winning the race.

Tell ya what, the OEM's say they are in it to sell cars. Which one of the drivers would sell the most cars. It sure as hell wouldn't be any of the Gibbs bunch, and they pour millions in that bunch and KDB almost got booed off the stage at Bristol. They have a driver who could sell a bunch of cars, good for the brand, a darling of the east coast seaboard, and currently driving a Toyota...and they are getting rid of him.

Look at what he's done at tracks that are driver tracks. Road courses, Bristol, etc......and he done it in OLDER JGR Equipment. Only one JGR car beat him the other night, the rest of the ones behind him, had better cars and he still beat them. Dude can drive for sure. Put him in some up to date stuff, and let him loose.
On Saturday night there was only 1 car that was better than his.

Tell ya what, the OEM's say they are in it to sell cars. Which one of the drivers would sell the most cars. It sure as hell wouldn't be any of the Gibbs bunch, and they pour millions in that bunch and KDB almost got booed off the stage at Bristol. They have a driver who could sell a bunch of cars, good for the brand, a darling of the east coast seaboard, and currently driving a Toyota...and they are getting rid of him.
He almost won a race.

Building a brand around him might be a good idea ... or not.

That as well yes, but since he only cares about JGR and Toyota, and doesn't like anyone else I was putting it to him in away he understands.
I wouldn't question that poster's ability to understand things.

There are plenty of people on the Internet who would rather hate something without liking any of the alternatives.

I saw a guy at Richmond years ago who gave Jeff Gordon the finger all night. He was in my line of sight to turn 4 and every time I looked over there, he was watching the #24 to flip it off. He didn't have a hat or shirt from another driver. $125 and 400 laps watching someone he supposedly hates.

I wouldn't question that poster's ability to understand things.

With some of the stuff he's said around here before, trust me it's probably a good idea.

Plus I was also pointing out the fact that with older equipment than Kyle, Jones, etc.. that he did better than them this weekend.

He almost won a race.

Building a brand around him might be a good idea ... or not.
He was the show of that race.;) Millions watched. Hamlin did a good mister rogers type job, Kyle gave his usual 5th place turd in mouth interview. Guido was the show.

Y
Slightly off topic.....Hamlin's apology for winning concerns me as a Toyota fan. I have never ever heard an athlete gunning for a championship apologizing for winning--ever. In sport (which this is--not real life....even though we have heard that Matt is driving for his life), you step on the throat of your competitor when you have him down. You do not apologize for success. Do you see the greatest champions in the history of our sport doing that? Hamlin has never been better than he is right now. He has never had a better chance to win this, but his Matt love shows a fragility that suggests he is vulnerable. I hope he doesn't overthink this.

I agree with ya there.

Tell ya what....Walk into your local Toyota dealership, and there will not be one person in there who knows who Matt is. Enough said. Remember what Senior said about booing....You know that.

Toyota of course thru preacher Joe who could use some good PR should announce two cars for their puppet alliliate Leavine family racing and give that team more support than table scraps.IMO.

It's called empathy. Everyone of these guys has fought for their first win. At the Cup level, some are still fighting. It hurts to be so close and then lose it, and every one of them knows what that feels like.

You'll notice his empathy didn't stop Denny from winning the race.

I agree, but it concerns me. Denny overthought New Hampshire IMO....it nagged him for a week. He cannot second guess himself.

Back
Top Bottom