Maybe something coming around the corner(s)?

Who knows?

China has been a godsend for GM and it could work for Nascar too. At this point the Chinese don't care about the quality of the product or service more than the country of origin so Nascar could benefit greatly.

So this looks like it's a part of the Mitime group (Geely/Volvo). They said earlier in the year they were interested in hosting an IndyCar race and they actually got some TV/Internet deals signed between the series and a few different Chinese outlets. They could be angling for the same thing with NASCAR since there doesn't really appear to be TV coverage there yet (outside of Macau and Hong Kong).

http://racingcircuits.info/asia/china/ningbo-international-speedway.html#.Wd49D2CWzcs

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05-27-International-broadcasters

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/22/international

right now on a racing board in China, there is a poster saying, we don't want any foreign cars racing, another saying they spent 500 million and they are going to go broke soon, another saying every since so in so Yang took over he's ruined the racing, and another saying short tracks forever, this will never work.

right now on a racing board in China, there is a poster saying, we don't want any foreign cars racing, another saying they spent 500 million and they are going to go broke soon, another saying every since so in so Yang took over he's ruined the racing, and another saying short tracks forever, this will never work.

Right now in the Excited States there are people on racing forums that believe that the racing has never been better and it is on an upswing. Yeah....I know!

Eh, don't care for a race that's outside of America. Canada would probably be but not going to watch a road course race in China.
Okay, I'll bite. Other than the broadcast time, what difference does it make where the track is located? More specifically, what difference does it make to the racing?

If your favorite track was suddenly transported to Kenya, would you still watch the race? How about Mexico? Guam's in the U.S.; would that be acceptable?

Last edited:
So it's just like here? Race fans are race fans everywhere, I guess. :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll bite. Other than the broadcast time, what difference does it make where the track is located? More specifically, what difference does it make to the racing?
For me personally, I'd watch it just because it would be a new venue. Whatever country it is in is irrelevant to me and to my DVR.

I look at the dramatic increases in the company I work for travel budget and I am curious how many teams can afford this.The race promoters or NASCAR would have to help teams out.

Geez you all want to bash the roval but that track looks like a boring F1 layout that would be even worse for Nascar

Geez you all want to bash the roval but that track looks like a boring F1 layout that would be even worse for Nascar
They have different configurations they can use so it's hard to say really. And in this case it'd probably be an exhibition race, a bonus, rather than replacing something else on the calendar.

North American road courses are obviously the best on the planet but NASCAR isn't going to run a non-points race at Road Atlanta for ****s and giggles. This would be a small part of a much larger plan.

They have different configurations they can use so it's hard to say really. And in this case it'd probably be an exhibition race, a bonus, rather than replacing something else on the calendar.

North American road courses are obviously the best on the planet but NASCAR isn't going to run a non-points race at Road Atlanta for ****s and giggles. This would be a small part of a much larger plan.

NASCAR Asia?

Where do I sign?

They Should find a way to make North Wilkesboro Speedway into that. #Triggered

Domestically Nascar is dealing with a lot of problems including the loss of fans, poor demographics and the lack of money flowing in so looking to other markets could be ideal. Nascar could use some love and what better way to get it than to expand to a market where it would be appreciated and patronized? The NFL and NHL understand the importance of Europe and Asia when it comes to brand expansion so Nascar should get on board.

I remember reading that for whatever reason Pabst Blue Ribbon is popular in China and I think it would have to be 35 years or more since I have seen anyone sipping those suds here. Other things like certain food products or entertainment programming that don't register a blip here are big elsewhere like David Hasselhoff (Who?) for instance.

If your favorite track was suddenly transported to Kenya, would you still watch the race? How about Mexico? Guam's in the U.S.; would that be acceptable?

Just don't like these leagues going to other countries. Hate the NFL games in London and Mexico. Its NASCAR not GASCAR(Global) or WASCAR(world) so I'd rather they stayed in the good ole US of A.

The 1800s called they want their world view back

Sorry just makes no sense to me being a National entity and taking your product somewhere else. I'm sure this would be an exhibition race which isn't as bad but when the NFL takes regular season games away from their home market to give London or Mexico a game that's ridiculous in my opinion.

A NASCAR race in China, oh heck yes, bring it on.

Sorry just makes no sense to me being a National entity and taking your product somewhere else. I'm sure this would be an exhibition race which isn't as bad but when the NFL takes regular season games away from their home market to give London or Mexico a game that's ridiculous in my opinion.
Okay, now you've offered a reason beyond 'I hate it'.

I can back you on the NFL taking 'home games' to another market. It screws the team and its fans out of a game in the home stadium. I'd bet the fans get charged the same amount for that short season that they do for a full one. Maybe @Johali can comment; I believe he's a Jags fan and their games seem to get shipped to London more than other teams. (What the British did to deserve the Jags should be discussed by diplomats in an effort to prevent well-justified economic sanctions.) Mexican games aren't as bad because they're in a time zone that's common to the US and the teams don't get jet lag any worse than they do on a normal cross-country trip.

However, I'd feel the same way if that 'home game' was moved to another city in the US several hours away. And since adding an exhibition race doesn't deprive any existing track of a weekend, that objection doesn't apply to NASCAR.

Okay, now you've offered a reason beyond 'I hate it'.

I can back you on the NFL taking 'home games' to another market. It screws the team and its fans out of a game in the home stadium. I'd bet the fans get charged the same amount for that short season that they do for a full one. Maybe @Johali can comment; I believe he's a Jags fan and their games seem to get shipped to London more than other teams. (What the British did to deserve the Jags should be discussed by diplomats in an effort to prevent well-justified economic sanctions.) Mexican games aren't as bad because they're in a time zone that's common to the US and the teams don't get jet lag any worse than they do on a normal cross-country trip.

However, I'd feel the same way if that 'home game' was moved to another city in the US several hours away. And since adding an exhibition race doesn't deprive any existing track of a weekend, that objection doesn't apply to NASCAR.

You can foist the Jags on the Brits as they are happy just to see American football and it would be the same with NASCAR abroad. What millions have turned away from would be a huge deal in Canada or Mexico let alone outside of North America?

I didn't know about the Jags going anywhere, but I do know Nascar has had series in Mexico, Canada and Europe for a number of years..it isn't a new phenomena. Both the Nascar Canadian Pinty series and Nascar Whelen series in Europe have added more tracks and extended their series this year.

The Pinty's Series is currently enjoying it's 11th season under NASCAR ownership and features stock car racing throughout the county with five events remaining on the 2017 schedule.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom