Maybe something coming around the corner(s)?

I think the bigger problem was that NASCAR didn't have a bigger plan in mind. Now we've seen them run in Canada and Mexico in Busch/Truck recently but they also started up national series there around the same time.

Across the border is one thing. I just think logistically it's too difficult/costly to justify going overseas. But I guess if China wants to open up the wallet, they may consider it

I figure it is just a way to find out if there is an interest in NASCAR style racing. I can see a NASCAR style series in Asia, probably a branding deal. But I don't think any future series will be part of the current series.

I figure it is just a way to find out if there is an interest in NASCAR style racing. I can see a NASCAR style series in Asia, probably a branding deal. But I don't think any future series will be part of the current series.[/QUOTE]

It is remarkable the impact branding and culture have in different parts of the world. Levi's jeans are the be all and end all in some areas all because of a little orange or red tag and some people will swill the worst tasting beer around just because of how it is marketed and packaged. Buick automobiles are a status symbol in China and in the US and other places the brand and version of your phone is of the utmost importance. IDK if it is the marketing that has made people so shallow or that people are so shallow they are easy to manipulate.

[/QUOTE]
That clip proves that it isn't US NASCAR. They are racing in the rain.

(Its a joke about the rain delays we've experienced lately before you jump in and reply that NASCAR has rain tires for road courses).

Domestically Nascar is dealing with a lot of problems including the loss of fans, poor demographics and the lack of money flowing in so looking to other markets could be ideal. Nascar could use some love and what better way to get it than to expand to a market where it would be appreciated and patronized? The NFL and NHL understand the importance of Europe and Asia when it comes to brand expansion so Nascar should get on board.

I remember reading that for whatever reason Pabst Blue Ribbon is popular in China and I think it would have to be 35 years or more since I have seen anyone sipping those suds here. Other things like certain food products or entertainment programming that don't register a blip here are big elsewhere like David Hasselhoff (Who?) for instance.

Makes you wonder how spoiled we are. What if what we have is actually cool to somebody else. Might temper the bitching just a bit I think. I follow WRC, and those fans actually talk about the racing. Side by side, attendance, and TV ratings are irrelevant. Cars, drivers, courses are the topics of the day. Imagine that.....I should add that there are plenty of fanbois who get roasted, however. Warms my heart.

NASCAR steps up international push, eyes China and Brazil
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...nd-Governing-Bodies/NASCAR-international.aspx

NASCAR is stepping up its international expansion efforts, including ambitions to start developmental series in China and Brazil, as the sanctioning body eyes the NBA’s model to grow the sport overseas.

NASCAR distributes programming in more than 185 countries and territories. And since the early 2000s, NASCAR has launched developmental series in Mexico, Canada and Europe, all of which are growing fan bases and starting to contribute drivers to NASCAR’s national series in the U.S.

NASCAR is making several moves that indicate the global push is an increasingly important initiative.

“To truly grow the brand and our unique type of racing — close, side-by-side stock car racing — we need to take the brand to the market,” said Brent Dewar, president of NASCAR, who has lived on several continents and used to travel to China frequently. “It’s a little bit of the NBA model and tip of the cap to the NBA. We saw how they focused on [global] markets and their best stars [in those international markets] eventually graduate to the biggest show.”

Over the last several weeks, NASCAR has moved three executives to new international roles: Jim Cassidy, chief international officer; Chad Seigler, vice president of international business development; and Jimmy Small, senior director of international business development. Small, who was formerly president of the NASCAR-owned Iowa Speedway, will be based in Los Angeles and focus on China and Mexico.

Additionally, NASCAR executives have been working on initiatives in China. The sanctioning body sent a contingent to the country last year to take in the grand opening of a new road course. The track was built by Mitime Investment & Development, a subsidiary of Chinese auto company Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which is building several tracks in China and has invested in motorsports ventures both domestically and in the U.S.

During an interview last week, Cassidy, who said he has been in touch with NBA executives, said NASCAR is drawn to China because of its massive 1.4 billion population and the 20 million cars sold there last year.

Cassidy couldn’t specify an exact year when NASCAR wants to start a developmental series in China, but said 2019 might be overly optimistic. He added that NASCAR wants to move quickly.

Opportunities NASCAR is evaluating with Chinese groups include investments into NASCAR’s core operations in the U.S.

“There’s interest in business going both ways,” said Cassidy, who will continue to be based in Daytona Beach, Fla. “So there’s obviously going to be conversations about opportunities to bring business to the U.S. as well as introduce it the other way.”

Dewar described Mitime as a “great” group that NASCAR has talked to, but said the league isn’t ready to reveal its partners.

While getting into new markets such as China and Brazil is a priority, NASCAR is also focused on improving its existing international series. Cassidy cited a crowd of more than 50,000 that was on hand in Mexico City for the NASCAR Peak Mexico Series finale in November as proof that NASCAR’s international efforts are catching on.

Another positive result for NASCAR from Mexico has been the emergence of Daniel Suarez, the young Mexican driver with Joe Gibbs Racing in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. The NASCAR Whelen Euro Series has produced Alon Day, who last year became the first Israeli to race in the Monster Energy Series. And the NASCAR Pinty’s Series in Canada produced Cole Pearn, who drove there before becoming a championship-winning crew chief in the Monster Energy Series last season.

Cassidy noted that if not for the Mexico Series, Suarez may have opted for open-wheel racing. That’s traditionally been the preferred form of racing in Mexico, which has produced several Formula One drivers over the years.

“This is all what would have been an incubation project, and now we’re moving it forward as we put dedicated leaders to start building the next phase of the evolution,” Dewar said. “But in true NASCAR spirit, we’re going to do it right … and at the appropriate moment.”

It would be interesting for them to go to le mans and other big international. But only like the NFL in london.

I'm fine with NASCAR starting a new racing series in China.

That said, NASCAR should not host a points-paying Cup/Xfinity/truck race overseas.

Drivers and crews in the top 3 series should not have to travel overseas to participate in a required race.

After the cluster I fear the Roval race will be, a Chinese road course would look good.

Not sure that the teams will like the expenses and travel time required to race in China. Particularly when teams are complaining about travel costs already and have even formed the Race Team Alliance to supposedly do something about it...

They also complain that the season is already too long... will NASCAR cut an existing race to fit a China race in?

Not sure that the teams will like the expenses and travel time required to race in China. Particularly when teams are complaining about travel costs already and have even formed the Race Team Alliance to supposedly do something about it...

They also complain that the season is already too long... will NASCAR cut an existing race to fit a China race in?
If they go, they’ll get some help with the additional costs.

Domestically Nascar is dealing with a lot of problems including the loss of fans, poor demographics and the lack of money flowing in so looking to other markets could be ideal. Nascar could use some love and what better way to get it than to expand to a market where it would be appreciated and patronized? The NFL and NHL understand the importance of Europe and Asia when it comes to brand expansion so Nascar should get on board.

I remember reading that for whatever reason Pabst Blue Ribbon is popular in China and I think it would have to be 35 years or more since I have seen anyone sipping those suds here. Other things like certain food products or entertainment programming that don't register a blip here are big elsewhere like David Hasselhoff (Who?) for instance.
My friends and I drink pbr nearly every weekend even pbr light if we can find it.

NASCAR steps up international push, eyes China and Brazil
NASCAR is stepping up its international expansion efforts, including ambitions to start developmental series in China and Brazil, as the sanctioning body eyes the NBA’s model to grow the sport overseas.

Over the last several weeks, NASCAR has moved three executives to new international roles: Jim Cassidy, chief international officer; Chad Seigler, vice president of international business development; and Jimmy Small, senior director of international
business development. Small, who was formerly president of the NASCAR-owned Iowa Speedway, will be based in Los Angeles and focus on China and Mexico.

While getting into new markets such as China and Brazil is a priority, NASCAR is also focused on improving its existing international series. Cassidy cited a crowd of more than 50,000 that was on hand in Mexico City for the NASCAR Peak Mexico Series finale in November as proof that NASCAR’s international efforts are catching on.
Cassidy noted that if not for the Mexico Series, Suarez may have opted for open-wheel racing. That’s traditionally been the preferred form of racing in Mexico, which has produced several Formula One drivers over the years.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...nd-Governing-Bodies/NASCAR-international.aspx

brb

Looking up ways to move to China.

It would almost be worth it it, wouldn't it? If you ask me the ONE defining moment when NASCAR jumped the shark, it would THAT. If I had never seen a NASCAR race before, and tuned in and heard that, I'd have the channel changed before the cars got to turn one, and I actually LIKE Darrell as a person....

Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

And no, Win Win isn't a two Chinese driver.
I think the name is "Win One Soon" driver of the 36 horsepower, decaled skin braced (really just throw it away with the used skin after the collapsing event ) Jiangnan TT.
Note: Horsepower is actually measured in units of Greyhound Chihuahua, not horse.

they pronounce it bru rick over there. Saturn might be a good choice...but they like Bru rick's
Oh, wait a minute. You originally said Buick, but I mentally heard 'Oldsmobile'. I can never keep straight which one of them was discontinuted.

Some marketing pukes at GM probably would have had a cow, but I could never tell any difference between Buicks, Olds, and Caddys. To me, they're all land yachts driven by blue-haired AARP members peering under the steering wheel, along with Chryslers and Lincolns. But then, I was never much of a car guy.

You probably have no idea how many Buicks GM is making and selling in China. 8 to 1 ratio. There's no need to make that case with drivers in China, where Buick, outsells Honda, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

Back
Top Bottom