Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

*laying on the couch with a cold compress on my forehead*
hug.gif

2014 alone disproves that one.

Not to mention he was dealing with a bad back, and frankly at that point in his career he probably WASN'T as good as he once was. I NEVER got the impression Jeff was just phoning it in. Look at how many fights he got in. :) Look at how excited he was at Martinsville. Look at how in stepped back into the 88 car. He didn't HAVE to do that, and wouldn't have unless he wanted to. Bowman could have run all the races and frankly SHOULD have. None of that tells me Jeff was goofing off out there. If they didn't need a spot to park Elliott in, I'm not so sure he wouldn't STILL be racing.

Jeff Gordon a wheel holder at the end of his career?
If your asking do I think he gave less than he should my answer is yes. You don't have to agree with me. I remember JG and JJ front row restart on old tires and pissed off because Brad tried to race him. I also remember JG getting pissed at JJ because he also raced him hard for the win.
So Yes in My mind I considered JG as one who thinks he is privileged and above all others.
Glad to see him retire, he was no longer entertainment for me.

If your asking do I think he gave less than he should my answer is yes. You don't have to agree with me. I remember JG and JJ front row restart on old tires and pissed off because Brad tried to race him. I also remember JG getting pissed at JJ because he also raced him hard for the win.
So Yes in My mind I considered JG as one who thinks he is privileged and above all others.
Glad to see him retire, he was no longer entertainment for me.
LOL

Gordon's career was a bit frontloaded, he got 3 of his 4 championships and more than half of his 93 career wins prior to 2000. Not to say he was a slouch after that though, he still won 44 races and a championship from 2000 on. Only Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart won more races/championships in that timeframe.

Gordon's career was a bit frontloaded, he got 3 of his 4 championships and more than half of his 93 career wins prior to 2000. Not to say he was a slouch after that though, he still won 44 races and a championship from 2000 on. Only Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart won more races/championships in that timeframe.

Jeff was a talent and Ray was a genius and together they were Chad and Jimmie before anyone had heard of the pair from the 48. They accomplished much more together than apart and one can only wonder what might have been. IMO Jeff succeeded in spite of Robbie Loomis not because of him.

I will say The points format from 2004 on didn't do JG any favors. As he aged as he went from guy who a wins 5-10 races a year up front all the time to a guy that lingered at the start of the race and ended up bringing the car home to top 10 finish. That works well in the pre Chase format, but in the Chase/Playoffs it's just win baby and in those last 10 races the luck didn't go his way for whatever reason. He became ultra consistent instead of the guy who had that earlier dominance. Him missing the Chase once in his career, backs up my point as he was a Title threat every year. I guess I would compare it to that gunslinging QB earlier in a career who can win games and Super Bowls by himself to a guy who becomes an aging QB who relies more on his team but you can never count him out. That's what JG to me was at the end of his career.

Not to mention he was dealing with a bad back, and frankly at that point in his career he probably WASN'T as good as he once was. I NEVER got the impression Jeff was just phoning it in. Look at how many fights he got in. :) Look at how excited he was at Martinsville. Look at how in stepped back into the 88 car. He didn't HAVE to do that, and wouldn't have unless he wanted to. Bowman could have run all the races and frankly SHOULD have. None of that tells me Jeff was goofing off out there. If they didn't need a spot to park Elliott in, I'm not so sure he wouldn't STILL be racing.
I don't know if he'd still be racing if Hendrick didn't have Chase, it'd be interesting to wonder though as I never really thought of Jeff racing into his late 40's early 50's like drivers before him. The schedule looked to be a grind on him and I think he got out at the right time. I sort of wish he was still out there, I wonder how'd he be doing full time compteting right now. I will say I'm surprised he's not racing more IMSA races, or select Xfinity races I really thought he'd do that along with the odd truck race here and there.

I had pegged Matt as one of those drive around guys like JG was near his end. Of course even at RFR Matt would qualify poorly and be at the front at the end of the race. One thing that bothers me is that Kurt was not really welcomed at SHR other than by the man who hired him. I am wondering if that could be why he doesn't seem to be getting what he needs or does it mean he needs a new CC?

Matt is a stand up guy, if he has a car that can win he will be up there, if he has a 5th, 6th place car he finishes the race there and does not try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear. JMHO

Okay, not NASCAR but I'm sure NASCAR would love to be able to announce some sort of deal soon.....

Mello Yello Extends Title Sponsorship Of NHRA Premier Series

Coca-Cola's Mello Yello brand this morning will announce an extension of its title sponsorship for the NHRA’s premier series through ’23, a significant and stabilizing business win for the drag-racing circuit. The sides are not releasing financial details of the agreement, but sources said the annual value is worth around -- or even slightly above -- $5M. Previous reports pegged the last agreement, which was set to run from '13-18, as worth $3-4M annually. The NHRA and Coke started their entitlement relationship in ’02, with Mello Yello being the third brand that has been pushed over the years.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2017/08/31/Mello-Yello.aspx

What was NASCAR's annual $ agreement with Monster? I don't remember. I thought someone else may as I'm too lazy to look it up.

What was NASCAR's annual $ agreement with Monster? I don't remember. I thought someone else may as I'm too lazy to look it up.

Never officially confirmed by NASCAR of course, but widely reported to be between $20 and $25 million.

That's good news for the NHRA certainly, the length of the extension and the increase.

Coke has much deeper pockets than Monster.

Monster is partially owned by Coke and Monster is Coke's energy drink brand. However, Monster does seem to be managed fairly independently. The Monster brand is massively popular and profitable though, they have plenty deep pockets. I think they've taken a cautious approach to the NASCAR sponsorship and are in wait-and-see mode.

Last edited:
Monster is partially owned by Coke and Monster is Coke's energy drink brand. However, Monster does seem to be managed fairly independently. The Monster brand is massively popular and profitable though, they have plenty deep pockets. I think they've taken a cautious approach to the NASCAR sponsorship and are in wait-and-see mode.
They should be, the way nascar is going right now it might not make much sense to throw any more money at it.

Coke has a 16.7 percent stake in Monster Beverage, and that can not exceed 25%.

What's funny, Coke had their own energy drink, Full Throttle, in 2015 , they transferred that ownership to Monster and they took ownership of Monsters Hansen's Natural Soda's company.

Last edited:
They are in the drivers seat and like anyone else are looking for bargain price deals.
Everyone thought Coke would be fantastic as a series sponsor and now you know how it worked out. Nascar can't complain out loud because they know Monster's decisions lay in the hands
of the Coke Board.

It would be great if NASCAR could a find a sponsor that would have no conflicts with current team sponsorships, I mean , we seen it with the cell phone companys, same thing with Monster. Good thing for grandfather clauses.

Too bad Pepsi doenst sponsor a race, as that would be funny, the NASCAR Coke Cola Cup Series Pepsi 400

It would be great if NASCAR could a find a sponsor that would have no conflicts with current team sponsorships, I mean , we seen it with the cell phone companys, same thing with Monster. Good thing for grandfather clauses.

Too bad Pepsi doenst sponsor a race, as that would be funny, the NASCAR Coke Cola Cup Series Pepsi 400

I don't think Monster is all that concerned with the matter as they like the competition. Rockstar Energy has been on Paul Menards car this year and its not something I've seen on his car or even an RCR car before.

I don't think Monster is all that concerned with the matter as they like the competition. Rockstar Energy has been on Paul Menards car this year and its not something I've seen on his car or even an RCR car before.
It actually does matter to Monster, Rockstar was grandfathered in, they were on the 27 car in 2016, same goes for 5-Hour , they got grandfathered in as well, but, 5-Hour energy is not allowed to switch teams if I recall as part of the terms made, no other energy drink brands can become sponsors in the Cup Series that were not already sponsors in 2016.

It actually does matter to Monster, Rockstar was grandfathered in, they were on the 27 car in 2016, same goes for 5-Hour , they got grandfathered in as well, but, 5-Hour energy is not allowed to switch teams if I recall as part of the terms made, no other energy drink brands can become sponsors in the Cup Series that were not already sponsors in 2016.

Yeah I still don't believe it's a big deal to Monster and them just going along with what NASCAR already had set up for that type of thing. Monster has said many time they embrace the competition and prove so in other series the sponsor.

I think Monster would still like to be affiliated with Nascar but not to the tune of 20 million per. Take that amount and reduce it by 25-50% and life will probably good as Monster gets what they want and Nascar can say they could have sold the rights to others for more but Monster is such a great fit yada, yada.

Anyone else notice that Kurt's stuff is on sale at SHR?

Kurt Busch to the #10.

I like it!

It is hard to believe that Kurt would be tossed overboard for Bowyer or Almirola as I don't have anything against those 2 but they are not the measure of Kurt, IMO. Of course if Truex can become Superman anything is possible.

They weren't in a hurry to sign for 2017. It's a buyer's market, and the price likely isn't going up while they wait.

I bet the principals at FOX and NBC wish they had listened to your advice prior to giving away the farm for broadcast rights. They opened the vaults and when no one was competitively bidding against them and I doubt they will ever make that mistake again. At this point Nascar's sponsors can smell blood in the water and will bend Nascar and its teams over and make them sing AC/DC's "Big Balls" in falsetto if they feel like doing so and Nascar and the teams will do it because they have to.

There was a time when Nascar and the teams could tell the sponsors to get in line and pucker up in order to kiss their ass but the show is on the other foot now.

Back
Top Bottom