Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

I bet the principals at FOX and NBC wish they had listened to your advice prior to giving away the farm for broadcast rights. They opened the vaults and when no one was competitively bidding against them and I doubt they will ever make that mistake again. At this point Nascar's sponsors can smell blood in the water and will bend Nascar and its teams over and make them sing AC/DC's "Big Balls" in falsetto if they feel like doing so and Nascar and the teams will do it because they have to.

There was a time when Nascar and the teams could tell the sponsors to get in line and pucker up in order to kiss their ass but the show is on the other foot now.
It'll be interesting to see how much the next TV negotiation brings, pretty sure NASCAR will be taking a pay cut in that regard too.

Personally I hope another sponsor steps up with a decent deal and Nascar tells monster with their puke green ice sickles to take a hike. Leave the girls though

Personally I hope another sponsor steps up with a decent deal and Nascar tells monster with their puke green ice sickles to take a hike. Leave the girls though

Monster probably gave NASCAR the best offer out of all the other competing offers. Given how many drivers are having sponsorship problems, I doubt anyone in the NASCAR community can tell them to go pound sand.

Yeah I still don't believe it's a big deal to Monster and them just going along with what NASCAR already had set up for that type of thing. Monster has said many time they embrace the competition and prove so in other series the sponsor.
Maybe you are right and they dont care, hell I dont care.

It'll be interesting to see how much the next TV negotiation brings, pretty sure NASCAR will be taking a pay cut in that regard too.
I think Nascar should have their own production crew and sell the rights to stations to show it.
That way they can have better coverage of the race and the stations can decide how much commercial time they need to sell and the manner in which those commercials are shown.
The people doing the best job will have people tune in and that way we fans will get the best product.

I think Nascar should have their own production crew and sell the rights to stations to show it.
That way they can have better coverage of the race and the stations can decide how much commercial time they need to sell and the manner in which those commercials are shown.
The people doing the best job will have people tune in and that way we fans will get the best product.
That's similar to the way it was when each track negotiated its own coverage, before NASCAR took it over. It sucked like an draining fuel tank on Talladega's top groove. You didn't know what channel the race would be on or when, assuming someone in your area opted to carry NASCAR over the local ball games, assuming the station opted to carry all the races instead of just Daytona and Indy. Few Busch or Truck races, no practice, no qualifying. Cable TV contracts are the best thing that happened to NASCAR TV coverage.

That's similar to the way it was when each track negotiated its own coverage, before NASCAR took it over. It sucked like an draining fuel tank on Talladega's top groove. You didn't know what channel the race would be on or when, assuming someone in your area opted to carry NASCAR over the local ball games, assuming the station opted to carry all the races instead of just Daytona and Indy. Few Busch or Truck races, no practice, no qualifying. Cable TV contracts are the best thing that happened to NASCAR TV coverage.

Agree and disagree. In 1999, the races were spread out across seven different networks, which sucks. If you factor in practice and qualifying coverage on Speedvision, eight different networks.

However, variety is nice. Right now, I'd kill for the next race to be on CBS Sports Network or ESPN or Spike. The commentary drives me insane and their leaderboard makes me grit my teeth. Can't think of any other sports broadcast where, if you tuned in late, you wouldn't know who's winning. But that's exactly the deal with NBC/SN.

The millionaires and billionaires are always going to have race cars on the track, and a TV crew will always be there to film the contest. That is over the heads of many it seems.
Correct.

The millionaires and billionaires are always going to have race cars on the track, and a TV crew will always be there to film the contest. That is over the heads of many it seems.
Less people are tuning into what the TV crews are filming. NASCAR is becoming less and less valuable from a marketing standpoint.

Nascar still has quite a few years on this sweet deal but the networks may demand a renegotiation and they likely have performance clauses that could get them some relief if need be.

Less people are tuning into what the TV crews are filming. NASCAR is becoming less and less valuable from a marketing standpoint.

Fewer and fewer people are showing up to watch Nascar racing in person and from home so it is unwise for a person to think just because some fat cats want to race that a TV crew will show up or anyone will watch it from home. Sounds like whistling past the graveyard to me.

Theres the other half of the problem. Ive said for a long time that NASCAR has priced themselves out of the market.

If that's true, then is IndyCar and F1 suffering the same problem? I mean, IndyCars and F1 cars are way more advanced and cost more than the MENCS stock cars.

If that's true, then is IndyCar and F1 suffering the same problem? I mean, IndyCars and F1 cars are way more advanced and cost more than the MENCS stock cars.
How much to sponsor an IndyCar for a season? Average?

you have to be kidding, IndyCars have cut costs to the bone. now F-1? that is a different animal all together

An IndyCar complete with chassis, engine, transmission, brakes, and tires costs about $3,000,000. A top tier Formula One car can cost as much as 50 times more. Formula One teams never disclose their actual costs, but numbers north of $200,000,000 have been bandied about in the sport for years.
http://gas2.org/2016/05/28/difference-indycar-formula-one-money-lots/

partly right but IndyCars are cheap compared to the other two series

Gene Haas says the money he will spend on Formula One is comparable to his four-car operation in NASCAR.
Haas has told the Italian magazine Autosprint that the first budget next year will be about $100 million -- significantly less even than the financial loss recorded by dominant world champions Mercedes last year.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-sprint-cup/gene-hass-says-f1-budget-similar-nascar

what needs to be addressed but so many stumble on mostly insignificant thing is that Haas is dealing with 200 million bucks a year, and folks are worried about a Nascar sponsor deathbed B.S.? It's hilarious most of the time and down right ridiculous most of the time. ISC last quarter earning were a tic off of last year's earnings quarter. It goes on and on.

what needs to be addressed but so many stumble on mostly insignificant thing is that Haas is dealing with 200 million bucks a year, and folks are worried about a Nascar sponsor deathbed B.S.? It's hilarious most of the time and down right ridiculous most of the time
A lot of people are losing money as NASCAR continues to struggle.

what needs to be addressed but so many stumble on mostly insignificant thing is that Haas is dealing with 200 million bucks a year, and folks are worried about a Nascar sponsor deathbed B.S.? It's hilarious most of the time and down right ridiculous most of the time. ISC last quarter earning were a tic off of last year's earnings quarter. It goes on and on.

Gene Haas contradicts what you say by his actions. If outside sponsorship was not important he would not have signed with Smithfield and told what driver he was going to run and he would have signed Kurt even though he has no sponsors signed for him. Gene has left lots of wiggle room to run only 3 cars next year and even at that only 1 of the three cars has no sponsorship issues.

I guess dealing with 200 million bucks a year was to obtuse for ya. He has to cover it or it comes out of his own pocket probably would have been better.

Any businessman should recognize that if less people are consuming your product from every conceivable angle, you’re in trouble.
Hence the scrambling, gimmicks and constant changes.
Look the other way if you want to but I’ll always be here to point you toward reality.

Back
Top Bottom