Monster Energy's status as a sponsor of NASCAR

i'd love to see something like "The Winston Cup Series"..............

The reason that you don't see Coke (or anyone else) is that the sponsorship isn't worth the price that NASCAR is asking.
Actually Coke does a lot of cup sponsoring or did in the past. Did you know Coke owns 16.7%
of Monster??

Yes I am aware. In the past, the advertising environment is very different than it is today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yes it is sadly and I doubt if Coke has much say in the Monster boardroom.
I do think they could take over from Monster, the price tag doesn't seem that high anymore.

Yes it is sadly and I doubt if Coke has much say in the Monster boardroom.
I do think they could take over from Monster, the price tag doesn't seem that high anymore.
It doenst sound like they do.

My main issue with Monster Energy is that I haven't seen them do much advertisement for NASCAR outside of the race track. I don't see NASCAR on their cans, I don't see cardboard cutouts. Gas stations aren't selling NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series schedule that you can hang up on your wall. I didn't go to any of the races last year, so I don't know if Monster Energy invested in anything outside of the track in the general area of the track.

My main issue with Monster Energy is that I haven't seen them do much advertisement for NASCAR outside of the race track. I don't see NASCAR on their cans, I don't see cardboard cutouts. Gas stations aren't selling NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series schedule that you can hang up on your wall. I didn't go to any of the races last year, so I don't know if Monster Energy invested in anything outside of the track in the general area of the track.
Apparently they've been successful in other entertainment venue, but I still don't get how their approach meshes with NASCAR or whether it's working. They're not trying to reach me anyway, so I guess that doesn't matter. I assume they know what methods will appeal to their target market. I'd just like to understand how this is supposed to work, if only for my own enlightenment.

France optimistic of Monster renewal

NASCAR Chairman Brian France expressed optimism Tuesday that Monster Energy will remain as series sponsor after this season and said that the Cup Series could use one more manufacturer.

France made his comments on "SiriusXM Speedway" on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

"They have had a really good run with us, and we've had a good run with them, and my hope and feeling is that that's going to continue,'' France said Tuesday. "They've been good partners. They're bringing a lot to the sport. They've got a lot on their plate and so do we. We're working with them to make sure that we have as long an agreement as we can. I think we will. I think it's working that good for everybody. I'm real pleased with it.''

Asked by "SiriusXM Speedway" host Dave Moody if there is a deadline on when Monster Energy must inform NASCAR of its decision, France said:

"There's always that, but we just look at our partners differently. We work though everything. Everything to us is long-term, whatever that means in a given relationship. My sense is that it has really worked for everybody. It's also new. They've only been here, my goodness, just completed the first year. They're working out some things and that's understandable. It's all good, actually really good with those guys. Love those guys.''

As for manufacturers, France said he felt there was room for one more in the Cup Series to join Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota.

"There's a lot of work going on on that. Clearly we believe that the sport could not only absorb but welcome another manufacturer. These are tricky things to do. They're very difficult to pull off. We're just going to work toward that goal. I believe over time we're the best opportunity not only in North America, maybe the world in terms of motorsports. We're going to be aggressive in talking to other manufacturers as we go down the road.''

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018/story/_/id/22349855/france-optimistic-monster-renewal

Did Monster Energy ever renew its title sponsorship beyond 2018?
It seems they pulled back their presence thus far.

Did Monster Energy ever renew its title sponsorship beyond 2018?
It seems they pulled back their presence thus far.

Mitch Covington, who handles sports sponsorships for Monster Energy, said no decision yet on whether to extend the Cup Series sponsorship for 2019-20. He said anything is possible, no set deadline to make a decision.

i
Bob Pockrass, NASCAR

Uncertainty clouds Monster’s NASCAR renewal
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/02/26/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Monster.aspx

Monster Energy has requested another extension on its renewal decision with NASCAR, according to sources, putting the brand’s title sponsorship of the sport in question.

Monster, which signed on as premier series title sponsor for the 2017 and 2018 seasons for around $20 million annually, was thought by many close to the sport to be near a renewal earlier this year. But sources now say the renewal has become less assured as the sides haggle over deal points such as the length of a renewal.

Mark Astrachan, managing director of Stifel Financial, which covers the beverage industry, predicted in a note he co-wrote earlier this year that Monster would ultimately renew.

“I thought they were going to do it — that’s obvious with what we wrote,” Astrachan said when contacted last week. “The question of doing it [or not] is simply what they’re going to get out of it and if what they’re getting out of it is incremental to what they could be doing on their own.”

Monster has largely refused to talk to media about the NASCAR deal, though company executive Mitch Covington told ESPN at the Daytona 500 that no decision had been made. Neither Covington nor NASCAR commented for this article.

Monster’s original deadline for whether it would renew the deal for 2019 and 2020 was at the end of December last year, but NASCAR granted Monster an initial extension that took the decision into early this year. NASCAR President Brent Dewar confirmed in recent weeks that NASCAR granted Monster more time but declined to say how much.

However, the initially extended deadline appears to have passed, as sources said Monster recently asked for another extension as it considers whether some of the changes to its existing deal this year has sweetened the pot to its liking. It was unclear whether NASCAR would accept the request, because executives would need a firm answer soon as it begins planning for 2019.

There were changes to Monster’s activation seen at the season-opening Daytona 500,including signage around the track’s flagstand, and Monster’s logo on the lanyards of NASCAR credentials.

Monster got a late start on planning for its first season last year after only signing the title sponsorship a few months before the 2017 campaign started. But even as it starts its second year in the role, some racing executives have criticized Monster’s level of activation in the sport.

Monster had its large smokeshow and sampling activation program going on at Daytona, though the area was running only on Saturday and Sunday of the 500 weekend whereas several other brands started activating Friday or even Thursday. Monster also has had to deal with the reality of NASCAR’s crowded beverage space, where Coca-Cola is a major player, among others.

Monster is used to getting more control of the entire feel of an event in some of its other sponsorships, like Monster Energy Supercross. However, NASCAR has many more stakeholders, forcing Monster to negotiate between the sanctioning body, tracks, teams and media partners.

Gotta hope Monster reups but I get that the whole activation thing may be a big pain in the ass that makes it not worth it. Nascars gotta be careful not to piss off a bunch of companies just to make monster happy.

Gotta hope Monster reups but I get that the whole activation thing may be a big pain in the ass that makes it not worth it. Nascars gotta be careful not to piss off a bunch of companies just to make monster happy.
On the other hand, it doesn't appear to be a seller's market. Unless one of those entrenched companies shows a willingness to step up, making Monster happy may be the only game in town.

From FLRacingFan's post, "Monster is used to getting more control of the entire feel of an event in some of its other sponsorships, ..."
I wish I understood better what is meant by 'feel of an event'.

On the other hand, it doesn't appear to be a seller's market. Unless one of those entrenched companies shows a willingness to step up, making Monster happy may be the only game in town.

From FLRacingFan's post, "Monster is used to getting more control of the entire feel of an event in some of its other sponsorships, ..."
I wish I understood better what is meant by 'feel of an event'.

I dont know what a feel of an event is either and I dont know what is an edgy brand or what makes it edgy and I dont know what any of it has to do with going to see a race. If I had to make my very best guess it would be that Monster is telling Nascar what it has to have and Nascar is trying to sell the other companies on it and some of them are saying NO.

If I was Nascar my concern would be the lack of companies wanting to fork out to be part of the series. 20 million bucks is a fortune to us but not to big companies so what is the problem that makes them shy away?

I am sorry, but I think it is time for NASCAR to tell Monster to go screw off. Have some dignity, for goodness sakes. At first I was optimistic with Monster as the title sponsor, but now I feel that they are trying to let a bleeding horse die instead of stepping up and doing their part to save it. Sure, NASCAR is hemorrhaging at the moment and losing a lot of strong companies as sponsors, but Monster appears to not want to do anything to help save the series. Monster is only concerned with how many more half-naked women we can get in victory lane and inviting the annoying, irritating Rob Gronkowski to plaster his stupid face all over tv. Give us a product that puts on good racing...that is what attracts fans. Leave all the other crap at the door Monster...and if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on your way back out!

I am sorry, but I think it is time for NASCAR to tell Monster to go screw off. Have some dignity, for goodness sakes. At first I was optimistic with Monster as the title sponsor, but now I feel that they are trying to let a bleeding horse die instead of stepping up and doing their part to save it. Sure, NASCAR is hemorrhaging at the moment and losing a lot of strong companies as sponsors, but Monster appears to not want to do anything to help save the series. Monster is only concerned with how many more half-naked women we can get in victory lane and inviting the annoying, irritating Rob Gronkowski to plaster his stupid face all over tv. Give us a product that puts on good racing...that is what attracts fans. Leave all the other crap at the door Monster...and if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on your way back out!
Monster doesn't have any obligation to save NASCAR. Business partners don't always have matching interests. Monster is in business to make money; sponsorships are just tools for working toward that goal. If (I said 'If') being associated with Gronk sells more caffeine than NASCAR, Monster should take full advantage of their connection with him.

Monster doesn't have any obligation to save NASCAR. Business partners don't always have matching interests. Monster is in business to make money; sponsorships are just tools for working toward that goal. If (I said 'If') being associated with Gronk sells more caffeine than NASCAR, Monster should take full advantage of their connection with him.

I agree with what you are saying. However, if Monster is not interested in the long-term health and exposure of NASCAR, then I think NASCAR needs to wake up and quit chasing after them. It is not Monster's place to save NASCAR, however, as the title sponsor you would think they would be interested in the sport. If they are doing no activation away from the track, no commercials, no signage, then they need to step away and sponsor someone like Gronk that will give them the exposure they are wanting. It is clearly obvious that neither party is happy with the current situation, therefore I think it would be in the best interest of both to go their own ways. And I, for one, would not be sad to see Monster go away and be replaced with a company that is actually interested in stock car racing.

Back
Top Bottom