NASCAR and RTA are "far apart" on future revenue split

The breaks you get, the people you know and the money you have mean more in racing than in any other sport. In any other sport you can pretty much make it on pure talent, not in racing. Several big racers, I believe Smoke was one, have made the statement that there's guys at local short tracks with more talent than them that never got a shot. Like it or not these are facts.

No matter how a driver arrives at the top level, talent is required to stay there.

Tony Stewart arrived because of his talent and remained for the same reason.
So are you're disagreeing there's not a ton of exceptional talents that didn't get a shot for the reasons I gave?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is all very interesting. Maybe we’re in a time where the NASCAR we know is going to change completely financially. I can’t help but look at what’s going on with Greg Norman/PGA Tour/Liv Golf and think the same thing could happen with NASCAR. The owners are serious about wanting a bigger piece of the pie and I don’t think are going to back down. If they (owners) band up and are serious enough to find someone with money, Tony Stewart could be the Greg Norman of stock car racing recruiting drivers and owners to his SRX series. They already have the TV Deal, non SMI tracks( Stafford, Pensacola, maybe to Milwaukee Mile, Road America, Fairgrounds Nashville) they race at and personnel needed to run a race. Don’t think you’ll get a 36 race schedule but if Tony went to CBS and said “hey I brought SHR along with other drivers/teams with me” CBS would be willing to up the coverage and add more races , no? All conjuncture on my end with this post but I don’t think it could be as far fetched as we thought 6 months ago. In all seriousness and I don’t think I’m too far out with this one but we could be seeing the formation of a split happening along the lines of CART/IRL and I really don’t want history to repeat itself in this case.

So are you're disagreeing there's not a ton of exceptional talents that didn't get a shot for the reasons I gave?

No, I’m not. The ditches around the racetracks of North America are filled with broken dreams.

That doesn’t alter the fact that talent alone has taken a lot of people to the top level.

This is all very interesting. Maybe we’re in a time where the NASCAR we know is going to change completely financially. I can’t help but look at what’s going on with Greg Norman/PGA Tour/Liv Golf and think the same thing could happen with NASCAR. The owners are serious about wanting a bigger piece of the pie and I don’t think are going to back down. If they (owners) band up and are serious enough to find someone with money, Tony Stewart could be the Greg Norman of stock car racing recruiting drivers and owners to his SRX series. They already have the TV Deal, non SMI tracks( Stafford, Pensacola, maybe to Milwaukee Mile, Road America, Fairgrounds Nashville) they race at and personnel needed to run a race. Don’t think you’ll get a 36 race schedule but if Tony went to CBS and said “hey I brought SHR along with other drivers/teams with me” CBS would be willing to up the coverage and add more races , no? All conjuncture on my end with this post but I don’t think it could be as far fetched as we thought 6 months ago. In all seriousness and I don’t think I’m too far out with this one but we could be seeing the formation of a split happening along the lines of CART/IRL and I really don’t want history to repeat itself in this case.
Any split between NASCAR and the Race teams to start another series would be detrimental to both. We saw that with Indy cars and it was a disaster so I dont see them making the same mistake.

Any split between NASCAR and the Race teams to start another series would be detrimental to both. We saw that with Indy cars and it was a disaster so I dont see them making the same mistake.
A split might look feasible to a deathbedder in the worlds in which they live, but what gets them all are details details details. I'm sure that grass looked greener than green to the Indycar bunch.

I never said and dont think its going to be a successful endeavor for any of the parties involved. Indy Car is just recovering now from their split. I dont want to see this happen to NASCAR and I do think everyone involved WILL figure this out in the end, history cant repeat itself...all involved in this deal saw the crippling effect on open wheel.

Money though makes really smart guys really stupid.

NASCAR has some heavy lifting ahead. Owners are pissed. Drivers are pissed. Race fans seem happy. So, you don't get your **** in order, and end up ****ting on the fans, the sport would crumble. The last thing hard working fans who spend a hell of a lot of money to go to races wants to hear is how rich guys want more, and they are willing to **** up the sport to get it. We have a perfect storm on the radar.

The breaks you get, the people you know and the money you have mean more in racing than in any other sport. In any other sport you can pretty much make it on pure talent, not in racing. Several big racers, I believe Smoke was one, have made the statement that there's guys at local short tracks with more talent than them that never got a shot. Like it or not these are facts.
Yeah, and then Smoke bitches when TRD gives them a shot. STFU Smoke. I love you, but STFU.

I never said and dont think its going to be a successful endeavor for any of the parties involved. Indy Car is just recovering now from their split. I dont want to see this happen to NASCAR and I do think everyone involved WILL figure this out in the end, history cant repeat itself...all involved in this deal saw the crippling effect on open wheel.
I didnt say you did, just replying on what I thought about it.

This whole thing has nothing to do with the quality of drivers. Racing is the one sport that talent doesn't matter at some level. If all the current drivers quit today they'd have no problem finding drivers for a race tomorrow.

Good or bad nascar holds the power. They own the series and most of the tracks. The price of charters shows people want to be here under the current business model. If owners start not showing up it wouldn't be hard to find someone to replace them.

My bet is that NASCAR caves and gives a larger slice of the pie to the teams.

Cave or sell to the RTA.

Either works for me.
I think the last thing anyone wants is the RTA to run the series. Honestly the current independent 3rd party leadership is a best case scenario

SMI owns 11 tracks and there are half a dozen independently owned facilities currently on the schedule. Add Mosport, Mid-Ohio and Portland and build yourself a schedule.
SMI has a pretty good thing going with NASCAR now, would they consider doing something like that right now? Hosting a rival stock car series probably means souring the whole relationship with NASCAR, which is currently where most of their revenue comes from. The only other currently independent Cup tracks are COTA, Gateway, Pocono, and IMS since SMI bought up Nashville and Dover. I think it’d be pretty tough to put together a healthy schedule.

SMI has a pretty good thing going with NASCAR now, would they consider doing something like that right now? Hosting a rival stock car series probably means souring the whole relationship with NASCAR, which is currently where most of their revenue comes from. The only other currently independent Cup tracks are COTA, Gateway, Pocono, and IMS since SMI bought up Nashville and Dover. I think it’d be pretty tough to put together a healthy schedule.
It works if the RTA sticks together. What would NASCAR put on the grid? Would whatever that is fulfill their contractual obligations to SMI and the others?

Just a blue sky idea. Like you, I hafta’ have my racing.

SMI owns 11 tracks and there are half a dozen independently owned facilities currently on the schedule. Add Mosport, Mid-Ohio and Portland and build yourself a schedule.
And I wonder about the loudest concerns about safety, fans/drivers having to race at these non SMI/Nascar tracks, no safer barriers? The facilities including parking and traffic concerns in and out. What car are they going to use? It won't be a next Gen that's for sure. Zoom. swish. abra ka dabra...those dad burn details again.

SMI has a pretty good thing going with NASCAR now, would they consider doing something like that right now?
They considered it strongly back in the early '00s. They had contracts to host the new TRAC stock car series. But even in that period of peak fandom, the series couldn't get off the ground.

What???

Ole Smoke went off on TRD about signing drivers, and then cutting them loose....destroying careers....a couple of years ago now?

IRL raced at Disney World. Money makes people stupid.

Speak for yourself.
As many issues as I have with NASCAR, I sure as hell don't want the RTA or any other car owner group having control. The only problem with NASCAR is many of the people making decisions are not very smart. Fix that, you fix most of the problems. Many of the owners are smarter BUT, I don't trust them to do what's best for the sport as a whole, not just themselves.

Who else matters? A family of inheritors who already have enough money to last 6 or 7 generations?

The wildly successful professional team sports that sell us tickets and swag and appear on our TV screens every week are owned by the teams themselves. I’m pretty sure Roger Penske, Rick Hendrick et al are pretty good at hiring managers by now.

What’s good for the teams is good for the sport. They are the sport.

Who else matters? A family of inheritors who already have enough money to last 6 or 7 generations?

The wildly successful professional team sports that sell us tickets and swag and appear on our TV screens every week are owned by the teams themselves. I’m pretty sure Roger Penske, Rick Hendrick et al are pretty good at hiring managers by now.

What’s good for the teams is good for the sport. They are the sport.
I disagree, they are part of the sport.

Corner speeds, aero, fake yellows, no stages, no playoffs…
Those are my hopes.
Oh I think you would be surprised, people think they always can do it better but when they get to do it, they find out real quick why it was done that way in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom