NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

There have been different horsepower ratings for the same basic block for years. And using the term choked down is hilarious. your example of a pancake 4 cyl has multiple HP ratings .

There have been different horsepower ratings for the same basic block for years. And using the term choked down is hilarious. your example of a pancake 4 cyl has multiple HP ratings.

Choking something down is choking something down and NASCAR is doing it again next year. Saying Nascar is taking away horsepower in many events next year is factual. Some people love and others hate it and some don’t give a hoot.

yeah you stick with that, I'll continue to laugh about it. hey have been building specific HP racing engines for years.

This right here. Excellent post. I am excited to see what happens with the package. Something new to engineer. It's going to be fun. It always is.
Brings you back to the days of 650 HP in the twisted sister car and watching 3rd place sling shot for the win. :D

yeah that's it. SMH.
2018 Daytona 500
Pole speed: 195.644 mph

The way up have been SMH’ing lately you are fixin to get dizzy! At Daytona you have cars running at a good clip st race start and it still takes a couple of laps to get up to speed. If that is good with you, Amigo, it is Ok with me too.

JMO but you can’t worry about what people say or think about the kind of NASCAR racing you like. I think the entire premise behind the 2019 rules changes is an abomination but I would never think of someone as being smart or dumb for liking it.
Interesting post. What do you think of the agenda-driven deathbedders who show up here and say those who like Nascar racing are "easily entertained" compared to people who follow "real sports" like hockey and football? #AskingForAFriend.

I used to watch hockey.............. used to. Last 25 years I am a Nascar fan, don't watch other sports except drunks playing darts. :sarcasm: :D

Interesting post. What do you think of the agenda-driven deathbedders who show up here and say those who like Nascar racing are "easily entertained" compared to people who follow "real sports" like hockey and football? #AskingForAFriend.

I think that people are entitled to like what they like without explanation.

Has there been news of any changes for 2019 regarding the points/playoff system?

I think this is going to be one of the longest off seasons of recent memory. Probably since the announcement of the Chase concept. That too was an unknown heading into that 2004 season. It proved to be a great idea to some and a complete undermining of the sport to others. We got our little taste last May of a version of the upcoming changes. It seemed that a majority of the fans viewed what they saw favorably. That's the way our in-house thread leaned and it also seemed to be the way outside sources reported. Whatever it ends up being, it is what it is..... until it isn't again. Things change. Things in this sport change all the time. It's kind of like the weather..... You don't like what you see today but chances are you'll like what's around the corner.

People here and elsewhere love to trash the Nascar Fan Council. They say that it's a waste of time because Nascar doesn't listen to the fans. They're under the impression that the powers that be @ Nascar are hell-bent on driving this sport into the ground. The thing is, many of these changes that we are seeing are all things that have been proposed or asked about in a roundabout sort of way. Each and every week, Nascar Fan Council members are asked about their thoughts on the previous race. Subjects such as the satisfaction of lead changes, passing, overall enjoyment of the event and numerous other things. Think about it for a second..... If you've got fans stating that they aren't satisfied with those sorts of things, it's bound to change. A changin it is. They are listening and that could just be the problem.

Just wait though..... There are a lot of other changes that will soon take place. Some we're going to like. Others we won't so much. Shorter races, schedule shakeups, a weeknight race or two. They're all around the corner. How do I know this? I don't really. Just a prediction as the questions are being steered in that direction.

In any event, if you have overwhelming discontent in a product, you'll have change. If there's one thing in Nascar that remains consistent, it's change. Get used to it.

Part of the function of a place like this is to share opinions of which we will agree with some and disagree with others. If at anytime this sort of thing induces snark, name calling or anger it is probably time to take a break and regroup. JMO

In all of NASCAR history since the late 60's, there have been street machines with more HP than the cars on track. HP is only a straight run advantage, it is the rest of the car that makes the HP usefull and the driver who controls all of it.

Gotta disagree there. Late 60s up to 70/71, possibly.

After 72 it’s doubtful. 74 I believe highest HP American production car was SD TA and Formula, at 290? net.

75, up until ford decided to slap a 4bbl on 5 liter and drop it in the mustang, was Death Valley for HP. “High performance” engines were struggling to hit 200hp. The 78 Pontiac 400 4spds, iirc most powerful V8, were only 190 or so.

I seriously doubt nascar teams were tooling around, for nearly a decade, with 200 hp engines.

I think this is going to be one of the longest off seasons of recent memory. Probably since the announcement of the Chase concept. That too was an unknown heading into that 2004 season. It proved to be a great idea to some and a complete undermining of the sport to others. We got our little taste last May of a version of the upcoming changes. It seemed that a majority of the fans viewed what they saw favorably. That's the way our in-house thread leaned and it also seemed to be the way outside sources reported. Whatever it ends up being, it is what it is..... until it isn't again. Things change. Things in this sport change all the time. It's kind of like the weather..... You don't like what you see today but chances are you'll like what's around the corner.

People here and elsewhere love to trash the Nascar Fan Council. They say that it's a waste of time because Nascar doesn't listen to the fans. They're under the impression that the powers that be @ Nascar are hell-bent on driving this sport into the ground. The thing is, many of these changes that we are seeing are all things that have been proposed or asked about in a roundabout sort of way. Each and every week, Nascar Fan Council members are asked about their thoughts on the previous race. Subjects such as the satisfaction of lead changes, passing, overall enjoyment of the event and numerous other things. Think about it for a second..... If you've got fans stating that they aren't satisfied with those sorts of things, it's bound to change. A changin it is. They are listening and that could just be the problem.

Just wait though..... There are a lot of other changes that will soon take place. Some we're going to like. Others we won't so much. Shorter races, schedule shakeups, a weeknight race or two. They're all around the corner. How do I know this? I don't really. Just a prediction as the questions are being steered in that direction.

In any event, if you have overwhelming discontent in a product, you'll have change. If there's one thing in Nascar that remains consistent, it's change. Get used to it.
Change which for the most part hasn't been a good thing.

I see there’s some discussion about “choking” down an engine.

If the rules are written such that a 750 hp engine has its power reduced by way of a plate/tapered spacer, while changing nothing else, is choking down power.

I’m guessing it’s a $$ issue with nascar. Costs less, a whole lot less, to reduce power with a single $100 part than it would for teams to R&D and build spec engines with different heads/intakes/cams/rockers etc. to reach the targeted HP levels.

If the rules are written such that a 750 hp engine has its power reduced by way of a plate/tapered spacer, while changing nothing else, is choking down power.

I’m guessing it’s a $$ issue with nascar. Costs less, a whole lot less, to reduce power with a single $100 part than it would for teams to R&D and build spec engines with different heads/intakes/cams/rockers etc. to reach the targeted HP levels.
Spec engines aren't that expensive, and they are readily available. Why waste the intended potential of a 750hp engine?

that has been explained many times but there are one or two that don't get that concept of the KISS principle

that has been explained many times but there are one or two that don't get that concept of the KISS principle
A cup engine costs over $50k plus labor involved used by most teams to build it. Spec engines can be purchased for half that cost.

and that has been explained to death also.
So what's your point? A spec truck motor costs around 45k-50k, but you can get more than 2 races on it. Potentially you only need 3 to 4 engines per season. How many do you need in Cup? It's a huge cost savings and would be in Cup also.

So what's your point? A spec truck motor costs around 45k-50k, but you can get more than 2 races on it. Potentially you only need 3 to 4 engines per season. How many do you need in Cup? It's a huge cost savings and would be in Cup also.
yep that's right. Only problem is they don't run spec engines in either Xfinity or Cup. They have increased the sealed engine rule use in cup to reduce costs farther in the 2019 cup rules package instead.

No question that when you take an engine capable of delivering 1000 hp (for example) and deliberately cut hp in half you are choking the daylights out of it.

they should last longer next year, and they have increased the number of sealed engines for 2019. They haven't said which HP packages they are going to do that with. Probably won't

yep that's right. Only problem is they don't run spec engines in either Xfinity or Cup. They have increased the sealed engine rule use in cup to reduce costs farther in the 2019 cup rules package instead.
You missed my point, they should be, instead miss using the current engine.

Back
Top Bottom