NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

;) 5 wide at Michigan.
bc9d688eb0efd5ca79f2e2d49e6a51c8.jpg

Here is the "money shot" from the Autoweek article that @gnomesayin linked...

Goodyear Racing general manager Stu Grant: "Right now, it doesn't look like additional grip will matter at the lower horsepower because they're not grip limited," Grant said. "Based on Charlotte and Atlanta, they're going to be flat footing around the race track. You could make a softer tire but it's not going to give them any more speed and they're already going as fast as they can. So, at this point, based on two tests...it doesn't look like additional grip is required or will make a difference."

Last edited:
Racing hasn't even started yet and the proponents of this package are already eating crow. They are way too stubborn to admit it though..

"Slower speeds mean softer tires and softer tires mean racing that spreads out and requires getting off the gas in corners which means moar passing blah blah blah"

Goodyear is like "yeah, no." Lmao

Most people who post here want NASCAR to do well. The few who don't stick out like a sore thumb with their constant expressions of glee at signs of decreasing interest. The difference of opinion is on how to get there. I'm not going to throw around accusations about which side are deathbedders. I will point out that one side is negative about 2018 racing and positive about their impression of what is to come. The other side is positive about 2018 racing and negative about reversing course.

So what came first, the Chicken or the Egg??
If you decide to answer, explain why.

It seems like they're wanting the cup cars to race like the trucks. The whole idea of that is fundamentally wrong, and frankly moronic as all hell. Cup cars are supposed to be for the big boys...the most talented...and they're supposed to be a handful. If the only difference for the drivers between the two now is money and a little extra fame, I feel bad for all of us.

handfull? the trucks are a handful, cup car when you see the in car the wheel isn't moving. Just because they are going fast doesn't mean they aren't easy to drive.

handfull? the trucks are a handful, cup car when you see the in car the wheel isn't moving. Just because they are going fast doesn't mean they aren't easy to drive.
The majority of them are under 20 and have little experience, of course the wheel is moving in the trucks.

NASCAR: "There won't be pack racing. They won't be flat-footing it."

Goodyear: "There's gonna be pack racing. They're gonna be flat-footing it."

NASCAR: "When we do this it should mean Goodyear should be able to develop a softer tire"

Goodyear: "We can't build a softer tire, too much downforce loading the tires and they're not grip-limited anyways."

NASCAR: "When we do this it should mean Goodyear should be able to develop a softer tire"

Goodyear: "We can't build a softer tire, too much downforce loading the tires and they're not grip-limited anyways."

"Some men, you just can't reach"

It seems like they're wanting the cup cars to race like the trucks.

I would be just fine with that. Most weeks, the trucks are the most entertaining race of the weekend. If I were NASCAR, I would be looking into transferring the aero numbers of the trucks onto the cars any way possible.

Not that I trust NASCAR, but personally I wouldn't take Goodyear's word for anything.

If it's like Trucks but giving midpackers a better shot it might not be bad.

The only way I can envision this new package providing good racing is if multiple tire compounds were required every race. It would at least add a wrinkle to pack racing.

"Goodyear expects pack racing next year at intermediate tracks, ..."
The only way I can envision this new package providing good racing is if multiple tire compounds were required every race. It would at least add a wrinkle to pack racing.
Gods, not that. I don't have much problem with multiple compounds being available. That would be just another tool in the crew chief's box.

It's requiring specific ones to be used that I dislike. Hey, why don't we require teams to replace the spoiler with a wing for some portion of every race, too? And make 'em run the track bar all the way down for some laps.

I'm probably one of the few on here that doesn't really care about ride heights, spoiler angles, splitters, showroom stock profiles and the like. If I find the racing entertaining, I'll be watching. I could be completely off base with my thoughts on these rule changes but isn't it to produce racing more along the lines of what we saw in this season's All-Star Race? From what I remember reading after this season's All-Star event, it seemed most everyone was entertained by what they watched. If you were one of the one's that liked that type of racing a few short months ago, what's the problem now?

"Goodyear expects pack racing next year at intermediate tracks, ..."
Goodyear doesn't have to spend a cent developing a new tire so they can under inflate and tear the hell out of em. :D

I'm probably one of the few on here that doesn't really care about ride heights, spoiler angles, splitters, showroom stock profiles and the like. If I find the racing entertaining, I'll be watching. I could be completely off base with my thoughts on these rule changes but isn't it to produce racing more along the lines of what we saw in this season's All-Star Race? From what I remember reading after this season's All-Star event, it seemed most everyone was entertained by what they watched. If you were one of the one's that liked that type of racing a few short months ago, what's the problem now?
I'm on the record as not liking it then either.

Couldn't speak for them because I wasn't happy with it at the time. But I would assume the massive flipping of opinions is due to a) the 'shininess' has worn off and b) It became clear NASCAR was serious about running this stuff full time and not just the ASR, and people came to their senses that this is not good for racing and the sport in general.

It was very frustrating to me seeing the response during and immediately after the allstar race because I knew the long term consensus would not be that positive.

Tony Stewart and several other drivers and NASCAR members had a meeting years ago with the sanctioning body about how they believed the changes needed to be made for more entertaining racing and championship.

He was told they were all wrong and NASCAR went in the 180 degree direction.

Here we are.

There were contentious debates about the ASR experiment here and everywhere else online before, during, and after, with the same criticisms and defenses before, during, and after. One early justification for and attempt to silence criticism of the ASR package was that it was only to make that exhibition event more exciting. Most became aware pretty quickly that it was a much bigger trial balloon.

The criticisms of high downforce / low power racing have been consistent and thoroughly explained to the point of exhaustion. Different fans have different priorities, and that's fine. As I said previously, one thing that is certain is that nothing stays the same in NASCAR for long. I will make the best of what is offered and eagerly await when they decide to swing back in the other direction again.

I'll watch the first 5 races, if they are decent then I'll watch more, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised....but i doubt it.

Tony Stewart and several other drivers and NASCAR members had a meeting years ago with the sanctioning body about how they believed the changes needed to be made for more entertaining racing and championship.

He was told they were all wrong and NASCAR went in the 180 degree direction.

Here we are.

You know what races are entertaining? Martinsville, Watkins Glen, Phoenix, Bristol, Sonoma, Charlotte Roval, Dover, Darlington.

What races aren't entertaining: The Brobdingnagians.

Although most of the playoff races have been good this year. Plus races at Chicago, New Hampshire and Indianapolis were quite entertaining as well. So NASCAR is gonna blow it all up.

You know what races are entertaining? Martinsville, Watkins Glen, Phoenix, Bristol, Sonoma, Charlotte Roval, Dover, Darlington.

What races aren't entertaining: The Brobdingnagians.

Although most of the playoff races have been good this year. Plus races at Chicago, New Hampshire and Indianapolis were quite entertaining as well. So NASCAR is gonna blow it all up.
California is fun. Shortening that race made all the difference.

400 miles at the larger tracks, especially if they are gonna keep the stages, is long enough.

DPK, I know I speak for many when I say, "Welcome back" after being absent from the R-F forum for a while. You have been missed by many. As to your question about the 2019 rules, this is a long thread, but it's all here in one convenient place. I hope you will take the time to skim through the arguments that have been posted. I'm not gonna post again what I have said on the subject, but it is easily searchable in this thread. :cheers:

84 per 100 positives. Almost 8,000 votes compared to around 55 here. Here the All Star open rated a 9, and the ASR rated an 8 pretty close to the nationwide rating.
upload_2018-11-16_7-3-10.png

Back
Top Bottom