NASCAR CEO BRIAN FRANCE BUSTED FOR DUI & OXYCODONE

So we're supposed to wait until he does? You sound like you're deliberately trying to minimize the dangers of drunk driving. I guess he should be allowed to toss Molotov ****tails too, as long as he doesn't kill anyone.

I know all about the danger of drunk driving. Lost my father to it when I was young. Fact still remains that he spent the night in the drunk tank and will probably get a measly fine. I don't think that's worthy of losing his job.

I don't think that's worthy of losing your job.
I don't either. I think it's worthy of spending several months to a year in the can, paying a big honkin' ol' fine, having his license suspended for a year when he gets out (time he could use to get clean), and having a breathalyzer installed on every vehicle he owns for the five years following that.

Maybe DUI and possession don't justify termination; that's up to the board of directors. Consider the first doesn't look good to the sponsors when someone responsible for on-track safety chooses to ignore basic driving laws. Consider the other makes it impossible to enforce contractor substance abuse policies when he can't comply with them himself. Those are the reasons directly affect his job performance, and those are why he should lose his job.

I know all about the danger of drunk driving. Lost my father to it when I was young. Fact still remains that he spent the night in the drunk tank and will probably get a measly fine. I don't think that's worthy of losing his job.

I apologize if I didn’t specify enough in the original question.
I do not mean to say that Brian France should be banned from NASCAR for drunk driving.
My question was simply if he should return. Ever?
That is not conditional on any extenuating factors

Some interesting quotes in here, reading between the lines. Bowyer says Jim France and Ben Kennedy are racers, and that is a refreshing change. I agree.

https://racer.com/2018/08/10/drivers-embrace-jim-france-as-nascars-interim-leader/

Clint Bowyer had pleasant things to say about interim NASCAR chairman and CEO Jim France when asked about him Friday at Michigan International Speedway.

France took over the post earlier this week when it was announced his nephew, Brian France, was taking an indefinite leave of absence to focus on his “personal affairs” after his arrest for aggravated driving while intoxicated and criminal possession of a controlled substance, oxycodone.

Jim France, vice chairman and executive vice president, co-owns NASCAR with Lesa France Kennedy, his niece. He has a solid reputation within the garage for being close with team owners and competitors, as well as for his work in sports car racing.

[Former NASCAR president] Mike Helton took us on a fishing trip when I first started, and we were down in Miami and got to spend some time with [Jim France] fishing,” Bowyer recalled. “I was young. I think I was 25 years old and I got to hang with Jim all weekend long, and he’s a really neat guy. A racer. When you really get to know him and talk to him and get some words out of him, he knows what is going on.

“He loves that sports car racing, loves flat track racing, loves motorcycle racing. This guy is a racer. He is definitely a neat guy. If you talk to him, if you know him, I think you have experienced that same situation. All of my conversations with him have revolved around racing, all forms of racing. For me, that’s cool and a breath of fresh air to be around somebody like that.”

Bowyer said that aside from his trip he’s had additional interactions with France. The Stewart-Haas Racing ace also complimented France Kennedy and her son Ben Kennedy, now the general manager for the Camping World Truck Series, for being cut from the same cloth.

“They’re all racers, they really are,” said Bowyer.

Last weekend’s winner, Chase Elliott, said he does not have a close relationship with France but knows France has a deep motorsports history.

Said Elliott: “I don’t see him doing anything wrong.”

Kyle Larson, who has spoken to France but does not know him well, said that whether it was France or someone else running the show, it can be a positive for the sport.

“I just hope that whoever is in that position takes it serious and does a good job because there are so many people in this industry that want to see it succeed,” said Larson. “Yeah, I just hope that this is a good stop to have a good change for us and get some good momentum back for our series.”

I'm looking at two different things pertaining to Brian. One, he broke the law. If this is first recorded offense he's not in serious legal jeopardy. He will have to pay a fine, and probably be credited with time served. So from that stand point, he doesn't have much to worry about. The second aspect is actually worse for him. Anyone that has ever followed NASCAR for any amount of time has witnessed an incredible downturn in the last several years. And the guy at the top {Brian} really doesn't seem to care. What we've seen or read about in the last week comes as no surprise to the folks closest to the sport. I don't think this is a drop in a bucket compared to the things we'll never know. The sport has been in serious decline, anyone can see that. What, if anything has Brian done to right the ship? I think his legal woes are minimal compared to his professional and personal problems. If his families patience has ran out, he may well be done. He just gave them what they needed to can him. As long as the financial numbers were good, a lot may have been overlooked. But at some point, people get fed up. When you're the man in charge and the ship is taking on water, and the best you can do is show a minimal interest in the circumstances, may be time to move on. Whether he wants to or not. NASCAR is still very viable. It still has potential to regain some of it's former fans. But, the ship has to be righted. Brian is not the guy to do that. He's had ample time to prove himself. For whatever reasons, the fans haven't reacted favorably. My best guess is, his family has been very patient. Their patience may have just ran out.

The nonsensical defense of Brian France is compelling.
Brian should be allowed to pursue his passion. Give him unlimited oxycodone pills, and alcohol, great results for everybody.

Oxycodone
Narcotic
Controlled substance

High risk for addiction and dependence. Can cause respiratory distress and death when taken in high doses or when combined with other substances, especially alcohol."

Brian should be allowed to pursue his passion. Give him unlimited oxycodone pills, and alcohol, great results for everybody.

Oxycodone
Narcotic
Controlled substance

High risk for addiction and dependence. Can cause respiratory distress and death when taken in high doses or when combined with other substances, especially alcohol."

This stuff is absolutely evil. If used for its designed purpose, it's bad enough. When people are addicted to it, it's terrible. After a couple of years of it being steadily ingested into their body, you won't know them anymore. They change. And not for the better. I've seen kids in our community, come from good homes, make good grades, have good social skills, all the sudden start stealing, lying and doing whatever they want to whomever they want just to satisfy their needs. It makes no sense! Nothing Brian is doing makes any sense. I don't think he's totally hapless and ignorant. I think he's a really screwed up person. The Oxy ain't helping him any at all. He needs to get away, for a long, long time. Get sober and start all over. Makes me wonder if he has any real friends, people that he is really close to? Sad indeed.

This stuff is absolutely evil. If used for its designed purpose, it's bad enough. When people are addicted to it, it's terrible. After a couple of years of it being steadily ingested into their body, you won't know them anymore. They change. And not for the better. I've seen kids in our community, come from good homes, make good grades, have good social skills, all the sudden start stealing, lying and doing whatever they want to whomever they want just to satisfy their needs. It makes no sense! Nothing Brian is doing makes any sense. I don't think he's totally hapless and ignorant. I think he's a really screwed up person. The Oxy ain't helping him any at all. He needs to get away, for a long, long time. Get sober and start all over. Makes me wonder if he has any real friends, people that he is really close to? Sad indeed.

I agree it is evil.
I would not deny anyone that genuinely needs the medicine.
I personally would not take them after having surgery for my back and getting titanium rods.
My wife refused them after surgery as well.

When I returned to work I had more than one person to ask me if I had any extra pills.

Reactions: Pat
So why was Brian appointed CEO in the first place if there are better qualified people within the family?

I'm not sure anyone has a good answer for that. Brian thought he had the "vision" to turn NASCAR into some kind of racing NFL, and perhaps that seemed within reach in the early '00s. Jim likes racing.

Oxycodone
Narcotic
Controlled substance

I agree that the stuff is bad but I'm not going to judge the guy for doing them.

Agree and I've had members of my family steal off of me to support their pill addiction. They're awful things but the way I look at it is, that is the individuals way of getting through the stresses in life. Most times it takes a situation like this for the person to get help but they won't change until they want to. Who's to say he's an addict though and not just an occasional pill popper? That's the kind of stuff we don't know and the reason I choose not to judge the guy.

Addiction is no different today than it was in 1900.
I actually DO judge. I’ve had friends and family both dealing with substance addiction.
They’re no longer addicted now but I verbally let ‘em have it every time I saw them.
Don’t know if it influenced their decision to quit doing drugs but it eventually kept them away from me.
I have no tolerance for self induced drama.

that is the individuals way of getting through the stresses in life
For god sakes, just no. Oxy is one denied prescription away from a heroin addiction.

Drug addiction is never “just a way to get through stress of life”. Seek counseling. Seek family or friends. Seek a doctor. Call a help line. Try new hobbies. Spend a weekend outside the comfort zone. Theres a million healthy ways to find catharsis that doesnt include bodily harm.

For god sakes, just no. Oxy is one denied prescription away from a heroin addiction.

Drug addiction is never “just a way to get through stress of life”. Seek counseling. Seek family or friends. Seek a doctor. Call a help line. Try new hobbies. Spend a weekend outside the comfort zone. Theres a million healthy ways to find catharsis that doesnt include bodily harm.

I whole heartily agree that there are better ways to get through those stresses but a person should have the freedom to cause bodily harm to themselves if they so choose.

Agree and I've had members of my family steal off of me to support their pill addiction. They're awful things but the way I look at it is, that is the individuals way of getting through the stresses in life. Most times it takes a situation like this for the person to get help but they won't change until they want to. Who's to say he's an addict though and not just an occasional pill popper? That's the kind of stuff we don't know and the reason I choose not to judge the guy.

I will judge him in a second. Driving drunk kills innocent people. There is no excuse for it. Taking a controlled substance is just as bad, especially if the abuser is going to get behind the wheel of a car. Again, no excuse at all. Impaired driving puts innocent people at risk everyday. I witnessed a 17 year old get killed by a drunk 23 years ago. I saw the head on impact. The killer involved had four priors for DUI. Where he was employed offered free legal counsel to union members. He always got away with it. After all, he not a bad guy ya know, sometimes he may drink a little too much...but, hey, what's the harm? I vividly recall talking to the deceased mother. She buried her youngest because of a person that did not give a hoot about anyone other than himself. Unfortunately Brian is the same person when he has too much to drink and gets behind the wheel of a car. And what we don't know is this. Did the police dept. do a tox screen? Was he loaded up on Oxy also? Don't misunderstand me, I believe in forgiveness and second chances. But when a persons complete lack of concern for others is involved, I invoke the words of an old Willie Nelson song, "forgiving you is easy, forgetting seems to take the longest time". I know the lady that buried her son forgave the murderer, I bet she's never forgot him. And I'm guessing not a day goes by that she doesn't think of him. Calling something wrong is not "judging", it's stating the truth.

I whole heartily agree that there are better ways to get through those stresses but a person should have the freedom to cause bodily harm to themselves if they so choose.
And his friends and family have the freedom to choose not to put up with his crap.
Nobody quits addiction until THEY are ready.
Maybe this is what it will take for Brian.

Addiction is hardly ever a unvictimless choice. It is torturous for friends and family that watch a loved addict shrivel away.

That is why addiction is a selfish choice. The drug takes the place of loved ones in their heart and mind. Absolutely morally reprehensible.

I agree with all of that.

I will judge him in a second. Driving drunk kills innocent people. There is no excuse for it. Taking a controlled substance is just as bad, especially if the abuser is going to get behind the wheel of a car. Again, no excuse at all. Impaired driving puts innocent people at risk everyday. I witnessed a 17 year old get killed by a drunk 23 years ago. I saw the head on impact. The killer involved had four priors for DUI. Where he was employed offered free legal counsel to union members. He always got away with it. After all, he not a bad guy ya know, sometimes he may drink a little too much...but, hey, what's the harm? I vividly recall talking to the deceased mother. She buried her youngest because of a person that did not give a hoot about anyone other than himself. Unfortunately Brian is the same person when he has too much to drink and gets behind the wheel of a car. And what we don't know is this. Did the police dept. do a tox screen? Was he loaded up on Oxy also? Don't misunderstand me, I believe in forgiveness and second chances. But when a persons complete lack of concern for others is involved, I invoke the words of an old Willie Nelson song, "forgiving you is easy, forgetting seems to take the longest time". I know the lady that buried her son forgave the murderer, I bet she's never forgot him. And I'm guessing not a day goes by that she doesn't think of him. Calling something wrong is not "judging", it's stating the truth.

Life is tragic.

That's fine, but they do not have the right to take innocent people with them. Why the hell does it seem that anybody who does this ****, and gets behind a wheel given empathy because he/she has a problem? If they cannot be held accountable because they have a "problem," I want their asses held accountable for the first sip, pill, or whatever BEFORE they had the problem. Keep those assholes off my streets, and away from my innocent family. Wake the **** up people.
I don't think that's worthy of losing his job.
I do.

They don't just hurt themselves, and they don't just hurt their family. They run out of money, job, then become criminals. They hurt society as a whole.

Being an addict is not an excuse. You make the decision to partake the first time, you have to pay the consequences.

Some interesting quotes in here, reading between the lines. Bowyer says Jim France and Ben Kennedy are racers, and that is a refreshing change. I agree.

https://racer.com/2018/08/10/drivers-embrace-jim-france-as-nascars-interim-leader/
Clint Bowyer says... Jim France = Racer. That's good to hear. I think it's a plus that he has been involved in racing outside of Nascar, because sometimes the Nascar hierarchy seems a little too parochial for its own good. It's been a mixed bag. IMSA is regarded as successful, American Flat Track is making a strong comeback, and AMA roadracing was a disaster under France ownership.

Jim France hired motorcycle industry veteran Michael Lock to run American Flat Track, a uniquely American form of racing that had dwindled to near extinction. I've spent some quality, one-on-one time with Michael Lock, not a lot of time, but enough to see that he is highly capable, very creative, and very market-driven. I've posted before that I could see a man of his attributes involved with Nascar. I would welcome that.

The guy has been around racing his whole life. Its not like he's never been to the track. No need to be there every week.
Despite the fact that he should be removed from his position due to his very public arrest, he really doesn’t need to be at the track every week. Name a commissioner of any other sport that attends their sporting events on a regular basis. Just one. NFL, NBA, PGA, NBA, NHL, etc. They might show for a championship game, but regular attendance doesn’t happen.

Despite the fact that he should be removed from his position due to his very public arrest, he really doesn’t need to be at the track every week. Name a commissioner of any other sport that attends their sporting events on a regular basis. Just one. NFL, NBA, PGA, NBA, NHL, etc. They might show for a championship game, but regular attendance doesn’t happen.

The commissioners of the MLB, NBA, NHL, and NBA attend games and events regularly afaik.

The fact that he presides over an organization that involves operating a motor vehicle is enough to question his ability to lead that organization. His actions tacitly give a wink and nod to every NASCAR fan that it’s okay to drive after drinking. For that reason, he needs to step down or be let go. I used to work for a big 3 US airline in a corporate department that didn’t involve flight operations, and if I got a DUI, my job was terminated. It’s all about public perception and how it degrades a culture of safety.

The commissioners of the MLB, NBA, NHL, and NBA attend games and events regularly afaik.

Very much so, yes. In as much as it is a useful comparison. Top executives and authority figures in other racing series also generally attend events more often than Brian France did.

The most important contrast is that Jim France made a pointed effort to be at the track, in the garage, and at the drivers' council meeting the first week out, and many important participants and figures in the sport consider this a welcome change.

Well over a week and still havent heard that Brian has been enrolled in the "Road to Recovery" plan.

He probably continues to get paid but now he hasn't any obligations to phone it in.
Must be nice. Honestly hope he gets the help he clearly needs but stay away from the sport. Take up fishing or birdwatching. Stay out of Daytona Beach.

th

NASCAR needs to just go ahead and makes Helton the head dude.
Stop beating around the bush thinking Brian will be just fine.

Never been a Helton guy. He has always given me a bad vibe. My first impression of him was smug and arrogant, and that has never really changed. Back in about 2001, Helton's name came up in a conversation I was having with James Hylton, and James proceeded to launch into a five minute tirade about him, the details of which I will not repeat.

Never been a Helton guy. He has always given me a bad vibe. My first impression of him was smug and arrogant, and that has never really changed. Back in about 2001, Helton's name came up in a conversation I was having with James Hylton, and James proceeded to launch into a five minute tirade about him, the details of which I will not repeat.
Well I can tell you stories about at least 10 drivers that love him so........

Well I can tell you stories about at least 10 drivers that love him so........

I don't doubt that. I know him and Dale Earnhardt Sr. were close. I DON'T know him. I'm just saying that I don't have a favorable impression of him, and someone I knew who DID know him had no use for him.

He was Brian's YES man on so many bad decisions I doubt he has the ability.

Back
Top Bottom