NASCAR considering radical changes to playoff system

43 car chase field & 38 tracks in the chase. No eliminations until after the final race. Keep the current way of collecting points, maybe a little more points to race winners. If it ain't broke...

How about this? The top 43 cars in the chase. Zero all the points. The chase will consist of one one-lap race with a land-rush style start. First one to the flag is the champ. Full contact anything goes. One required pit stop on the backstretch. No pit lane speed limit. If it's going to be stupid, let's throw everything in there. Am I leaving anything out? (Besides common sense?)

How about this? The top 43 cars in the chase. Zero all the points. The chase will consist of one one-lap race with a land-rush style start. First one to the flag is the champ. Full contact anything goes. One required pit stop on the backstretch. No pit lane speed limit. If it's going to be stupid, let's throw everything in there. Am I leaving anything out? (Besides common sense?)
Fans are allowed to throw cans & coolers on the track while Garth Brooks sings "America the beautiful" in the infield.

Yes. Brian France throwing lawn darts at JJ's tires.

I love the pitting on the backstretch idea. That plays right into Jr's strength.

We can only hope there is a hungry bear in the area. Those things love to eat stupid.

We are a step away from spinning a wheel before each chase race so some luck fan gets to throw shoes in front of cars and eliminate drivers until we're down to the required 16.
:XXROFL::XXROFL:

If this does become reality, it could be more disastrous than Danica at any track.

So pretty much just make sure you're in the top 4 when the last race starts and you can become the champion. Kinda stupid if they go with this, we want change to something better not worst.. hell now I wish we didn't ask for change.

So pretty much just make sure you're in the top 4 when the last race starts and you can become the champion. Kinda stupid if they go with this, we want change to something better not worst.. hell now I wish we didn't ask for change.

The terrible thing about this idea is how it came to be. Brian was standing by the concession stand at Phoenix and scratching his ass when he overheard someone ask for change.

It sounds stupid... but I really don't think it'd be that bad... I mean it really MAKES them have to win.. and its not like someone is going to come from behind from 16th in 6 races to win anyway... instead of them being unlikely they'll be literally out of contention... It may take some getting used to and I think letting 16 cars in is ridiculous but it could make for some great racing.

That's the worst part lol its our fault.

The terrible thing about this idea is how it came to be. Brian was standing by the concession stand at Phoenix and scratching his ass when he overheard someone ask for change.

:XXROFL:
That's the worst part lol its our fault.

I say we just love this idea, if we ask for change again...it might get even worst. Last race all 43 drivers are reset at 0...

:XXROFL:

I say we just love this idea, if we ask for change again...it might get even worst. Last race all 43 drivers are reset at 0...
I duno.. I think it could make for great racing.. I just don't like the idea of 16 drivers in the chase. That's most of the competitive teams.

It sounds stupid... but I really don't think it'd be that bad... I mean it really MAKES them have to win.. and its not like someone is going to come from behind from 16th in 6 races to win anyway... instead of them being unlikely they'll be literally out of contention... It may take some getting used to and I think letting 16 cars in is ridiculous but it could make for some great racing.
I'm getting worried about you slice.

I'm getting worried about you slice.
I like the idea of 4 cut off races.. those are always the best ones... watching positions and figuring out points throughout the whole race... Richmond and homestead... always great... Its a crazy idea but if its going to happen Id rather look at the things I like about it... because no matter what.. Im going to watch.. might as well try to make it enjoyable.. There are holes obviously.. like the fact David Ragan would have made the chase.. but should Dale Jr and Clint Bowyer have been considered championship contenders last season if they cant even beat everyone even once? ... I just like intense racing.. and I think that this would bring it more often.. Yes of course I have issues with it but like Id said if its gona happen I'll still be watching so I might as well try to look at it positively instead of complaining about all the minor details...

My simple formula for good NASCAR racing.. Cars + Track + High Speeds = Good racing :D

Although the idea of a 2012 All Star Race type season for the 48 just turned my stomach a little...

The fact that a team can win the Daytona 500 and then finish 43rd every week and still be in the chase if 16 other people don't win during the season.... is stupid but I really don't see that happening because.. well... drivers like to win :D

I like the idea of 4 cut off races.. those are always the best ones... watching positions and figuring out points throughout the whole race... Richmond and homestead... always great... Its a crazy idea but if its going to happen Id rather look at the things I like about it... because no matter what.. Im going to watch.. might as well try to make it enjoyable.. There are holes obviously.. like the fact David Ragan would have made the chase.. but should Dale Jr and Clint Bowyer have been considered championship contenders last season if they cant even beat everyone even once? ... I just like intense racing.. and I think that this would bring it more often.. Yes of course I have issues with it but like Id said if its gona happen I'll still be watching so I might as well try to look at it positively instead of complaining about all the minor details...

My simple formula for good NASCAR racing.. Cars + Track + High Speeds = Good racing :D
I'm not complaining about the minor details slice. I'm just saying that to me the entire concept is super stupid. This is not NCAA basketball and Big Bill may just descend from the heavens and kick the crap out of Brian for this years round of completely stupid ideas. Somebody needs to.

I'm not complaining about the minor details slice. I'm just saying that to me the entire concept is super stupid. This is not NCAA basketball and Big Bill may just descend from the heavens and kick the crap out of Brian for this years round of completely stupid ideas. Somebody needs to.
Im just saying... the cars are on track.. making laps.. making passes... and fighting for race wins just like 50 years ago.... anything else is a minor detail to me... Im not going to sweat the small stuff even if it is huge lol because the part of NASCAR I like is when the cars are on the track.. making laps... making passes... and fighting for wins... and that will still happen every week.

Sounds like a great way to make the first 26 races absolutely meaningless. So basically, if you win the Daytona 500, you can essentially coast for the next 25 races because you know there's a 95% chance you'll be in the Chase.

I swear, we're one step away from a reality show format where the fans vote off one Chase driver a week, with each race winner getting "immunity" for that week, with America deciding the champion at Homestead by texting votes on their Sprint phones.

Sounds like a great way to make the first 26 races absolutely meaningless. So basically, if you win the Daytona 500, you can essentially coast for the next 25 races because you know there's a 95% chance you'll be in the Chase.

I swear, we're one step away from a reality show format where the fans vote off one Chase driver a week, with each race winner getting "immunity" for that week, with America deciding the champion at Homestead by texting votes on their Sprint phones.
That's the only thing that I don't like about it... but like I said... these guys want to win every week. I really don't think it'll change much until the chase then we'll see some recklessness.

Im just saying... the cars are on track.. making laps.. making passes... and fighting for race wins just like 50 years ago.... anything else is a minor detail to me... Im not going to sweat the small stuff even if it is huge lol because the part of NASCAR I like is when the cars are on the track.. making laps... making passes... and fighting for wins... and that will still happen every week.
In my opinion that is a very narrow look at the sport as a whole. I enjoy the entire experience and I definitely don't like the idea that one of my guy's may be eliminated as a contender by a gimmick.

In my opinion that is a very narrow look at the sport as a whole. I enjoy the entire experience and I definitely don't like the idea that one of my guy's may be eliminated as a contender by a gimmick.
Well Im going to watch it either way.. might as well enjoy it... plus... if ur guy is a contender.. he won't be eliminated lol

Im just saying.. is the love of NASCAR not for the on track part of it? I mean is that not what most of us want? Cars on track? As long as that happens I'll enjoy it.

After the fiasco at Richmond last year, I think they should get rid of The Chase completely since we now know that it's manufactured.

No matter what format they use, the #48 team is still better than everyone else. I bet ya Chad already has his strategy planned out.

It seems to me that ever since they started this whole chase thing that it comes down to 3 maybe 4 drivers in the final race anyway.
Maybe they envision getting rid of that fiasco that went on at Richmond.

It seems to me that ever since they started this whole chase thing that it comes down to 3 maybe 4 drivers in the final race anyway.
Maybe they envision getting rid of that fiasco that went on at Richmond.
This will just give them more opportunities to do that though lol

I think NASCAR is headed in the right direction with this forward thinking.

First it was ten drivers, then twelve. Last year it was thirteen drivers and this year it will be sixteen.

In another year or two, the chase will have 43 drivers in it...
I completly agree, 43 cars with 2 wildcards and a 36 race chase.

I resist change. I didn't like the Chase when it started although I'm sorta warming up to it. I felt the Chase was cheapened when they expanded to 12 cars. With a 16 driver playoff, among the competitive the teams it will be harder to miss the Chase than make it, just like some ball and stick sports. After reading they want a "game 7 type of moment" I realized they really want the winner of the last race to win the Cup. I value a season long effort and that should be rewarded, not scraped part way through the season.

It seems to me they should test this format in one of the other series to see how it works. They are gambling with with the sport.

As a race fan I'll continue to tune in to see a race. I'm not going to pay much attention to the points because because it probably doesn't mater until the Double-Jeopardy moment. The only points system that matters to me are the ones in the fantasy games we play. I'll just check the spreadsheet one of our members posts at the end of the season (BTW thank you for that) and I'll pick my winner from the points system that appeals to me. The "Who Won the Cup" thread at the end of the season should be an interesting discussion/argument.

How about they race all season, add up the points and give the winner the cup ???
af8cc18ddd8c411650e3794635faa69f.jpg

this is dumb. I am also shocked they are coming out with this so close to the start of the next season. The champion of this sport needs to be the legitimate champion in fans minds. If you put everything on the last race, which they are saying a reset will take place and the top 4 will duke it out in the last race, your going to have fans saying this driver or that driver got lucky and won it all. I call this the jimmie johnson rule. if the guy keeps on winning try to change the rules so that its a greater chance another driver can slide there way into the championship. The sport needs to quit knee jerk reacting to things. they need to know no system will keep everyone happy. I would support after the first 5 races saying if your out of the top 5 or 6 saying your done and out of it, but the reality is those guys are already out of it anyways without a rule change. let me go further and say that no matter what they do to the system jimmie johnson will still win it, because they are the best at adapting to rules and knowing when they have to be good. in fact a rule change of this nature could have the opposite effect and jimmie could win more.

I hope SB22 isn't in cahoots with Brian France haha

If they want change and more emphasis placed on winning, I would completely eliminate points and any type of Chase just make the guy with the MOST wins after 36 races the Champ!

I wonder if NASCAR is getting pressure from the new TV partners to make all these changes? We've already discussed the idea of timed races this week, now they want to make all these idiotic changes to the Chase. The current Chase format isn't perfect, but it's by far the best version of it we've had so far. Just leave the damn thing alone.

Back
Top Bottom