NASCAR considering radical changes to playoff system

France says he wants more "game 7" moments. This will give that.
What Nascar wants even more, though, is to make more stars.
This will bring huge attention to the Final 4 drivers for that last week.
I think the TV ratings will significantly go up for that last race with 4 guys in contention and winner takes all.

And yeah, it's inevitable one of the 4 gets wrecked and all sorts of conspiracy theories get talked about -- Nascar is no doubt hoping for that to happen.

Like hell. Matt has already proven he has Jimmie's number. Matt blew up a couple of experimental motors last year. I bet they don't make that mistake in 2014 ;)
I don't think Matt ran experimental motors.

Last edited:
I was finally enjoying a nice sleep in this morning and had this wonderful dream that NASCAR was enjoying a renaissance and as popular as ever...then I woke up to this ****

What the **** NASCAR?

Just like the rest of January has been. Brian France keeps kicking the sh!t out of me.

Which motors were experimental?

Early in the year, the motors in the Gibbs cars were getting a tad more RPM's and blowing up if I remember correctly.

France says he wants more "game 7" moments. This will give that.
What Nascar wants even more, though, is to make more stars.
This will bring huge attention to the Final 4 drivers for that last week.
I think the TV ratings will significantly go up for that last race with 4 guys in contention and winner takes all.

And yeah, it's inevitable one of the 4 gets wrecked and all sorts of conspiracy theories get talked about -- Nascar is no doubt hoping for that to happen.
The whole thing though is, "Game 7" moments should never be created. They mean so much more when they occur naturally. Sometimes the Super Bowl will be won by 5 touchdowns. Sometimes the World Series will be a four game sweep. And, sometimes, the points leader will go into Homestead up 30+ points on 2nd place. Creating artificial drama really de-legitimizes things, IMO.

The whole thing though is, "Game 7" moments should never be created. They mean so much more when they occur naturally. Sometimes the Super Bowl will be won by 5 touchdowns. Sometimes the World Series will be a four game sweep. And, sometimes, the points leader will go into Homestead up 30+ points on 2nd place. Creating artificial drama really de-legitimizes things, IMO.

I only care about two things...1) A true Champion is crowned, and 2) Drivers drive their balls off--the point is to go as fast as you can. The question becomes...Will this new system prevent this from happening?

I like the idea of 4 cut off races.. those are always the best ones... watching positions and figuring out points throughout the whole race... Richmond and homestead... always great... Its a crazy idea but if its going to happen Id rather look at the things I like about it... because no matter what.. Im going to watch.. might as well try to make it enjoyable.. There are holes obviously.. like the fact David Ragan would have made the chase.. but should Dale Jr and Clint Bowyer have been considered championship contenders last season if they cant even beat everyone even once? ... I just like intense racing.. and I think that this would bring it more often.. Yes of course I have issues with it but like Id said if its gona happen I'll still be watching so I might as well try to look at it positively instead of complaining about all the minor details...

My simple formula for good NASCAR racing.. Cars + Track + High Speeds = Good racing :D

Somehow, I'm not surprised that you like this idea of slicing the chase field again and again.

Well said. The nascar brain trust put themselves in a box by selling out to networks that want to use nascar to water down the viewership of the other networks that televise Football and Baseball in the fall.

Sounds like a great way to make the first 26 races absolutely meaningless. So basically, if you win the Daytona 500, you can essentially coast for the next 25 races because you know there's a 95% chance you'll be in the Chase.

I swear, we're one step away from a reality show format where the fans vote off one Chase driver a week, with each race winner getting "immunity" for that week, with America deciding the champion at Homestead by texting votes on their Sprint phones.
The regular season would really become more meaningless than the NBA's - which I thought was impossible. Brian always finds a way.

I have my own idea. Eject Brian France from the sport and put someone in charge who actually loves racing, because that person clearly isn't Brian France. He's taking what his father built up and completely destroying it one season at a time.

etc_hardchoices09__01__630x420.jpg

NASCAR’s problem isn’t the Chase. It’s an economic model that requires teams to hire not the best talent, but the best sponsored talent, with limited vendors for equipment that stunts competition, coupled with the inability to create an exciting game thanks to a mechanical exercise in the hands of engineers instead of drivers.

Those problems are harder to tackle. Instead, it’s easier to think up gimmicks. Congratulations, NASCAR, on doing so.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...ardt-jr?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So Hamlin and Keselowski are publicly supporting the new Chase format on twitter. Interesting.
I'm guessing this wasn't news to them.

Jeff Burton and both of the Waltrip Brothers are also publicly supporting it on twitter.
I'm guessing this proposal is pretty far along.

I don't think Brian even watches the races. He just has someone text him who won that weekend.
Richard Petty himself said one of the reasons he isn't too popular with the competitors is he doesn't even show up at the track, unlike his predecessors.

Hamlin seems to be talking like it's a done deal, not a proposal being floated to gauge reaction.

It's a sad, sad time to be a NASCAR fan. They overhauled the series 10 years ago and haven't found something they like there and now are doing it again.

People like SlicedBread won't mind because all they've ever known watching NASCAR is inconsistency by the Brian France Regime. More gimmicks than you can keep up with year, after year, after year.

They won't be happy with the first 2 expiramental seasons and NFL will still be top dog so these jackasses will go back to the drawing board again, and again, and again. Year, after year, after year.

Why can't they just be happy being the most watched Motorsport in North America? JFC

Jeff Burton and both of the Waltrip Brothers are also publicly supporting it on twitter.
I'm guessing this proposal is pretty far along.

LOL Burton is on his way out and the Waltrip bros dont even race so their opinion should not be taken seriously. If there is anything the Waltrip duo do is kiss ass real good.

People like SlicedBread won't mind because all they've ever known watching NASCAR is inconsistency by the Brian France Regime. More gimmicks than you can keep up with year, after year, after year.

Yeah well that's fine with me... I'll be one of the only ones still enjoying NASCAR.. looks like your guys' loss to me

Yeah well that's fine with me... I'll be one of the only ones still enjoying NASCAR.. looks like your guys' loss to me

Wasn't meant to knock you. fwiw.

Pretty damn frustrating to see people support this bullish though.

It's a huge ****** loss. Losing something I valued very highly for 80% of my life that has been gradually devalued to where we are now in January of 2014.

Wasn't meant to knock you. fwiw.

Pretty damn frustrating to see people support this bullish though.
I understand that. I just know that if its going to happen theres nothing I can do about it. Im going to try to look at the things I like about it instead of the things I don't. I think it will make for more excitement through the season... and like I said earlier.. if theres cars on track doing laps, making passes and fighting for the win Im satisfied.. that's really what its all about to me... I'd rather enjoy the on track action than worry about the points system... after all.. the best drivers are going to win no matter what the points system is. I'm wondering if they're going to put a limit on how many times teams can test at Homestead lol

What if Joey happens to blow an engine and gets "sent home" because of one bad race
Then his teams engine guys should have done better. That's pretty much what happened in 2013... it happens.. it'll happen regardless of the points system. The guy who doesn't have that bad luck and keeps getting the finishes will be champ under any points system.

Im gonna enjoy the season one way or another, If it means I have to ignore this ignorant point system then so be it. If it gets so bad that I cant enjoy it then its doomed anyway.

Back
Top Bottom