NASCAR considers limits to Cup drivers running minor league races

This is LONG past due. I suggest a limit of 8 races for any full time Cup driver. He/She can use those races whenever they want.

Doubt it will happen, unless Nascar has a new angle on how to steal a monster energy sponsorship away from Kyle.

They were talking about restricting Cup drivers from racing in the lower series' several years ago and Tony Stewart said he has the right to race in the lower series' because of the right to work laws. lol

He obviously didn't have a clue what the right to work law is.

Nationwide needs to get back to be the proving ground for up and comers to show their talent in a stock car before they can earn their way into the cup series. Getting real sick of people buying their way into the cup series without paying dues.

If this happens, ONLY cup regulars should race in the cup series also

The reasoning behind restricting Cup drivers from the lower series is they have an unfair advantage with money and equipment there, and it potentially displaces NW series drivers from being able to race.

What would restricting NW drivers from the Cup series accomplish? They can't fill the Cup field now without start and park teams.

Just put a 50 race cap on the number of races that a driver can run across the 3 series in a season. That way the Cup guys could only run a combined 14 NW and Truck races every year.

Cup drivers should just get to race in all RP races and up to five select other races each in the lower series. Pretty much a third of the races, more than fair

That doesn't really make sense. Nationwide drivers who race Cup are trying to learn. Cup drivers who race Nationwide aren't learning anything, just taking money away from the Nationwide guys.

They are learning how to beat Nationwide drivers and they dont always succeed

you guys are crazy and aren't basing your ideas in wisdom and logic. fans don't come to see brian scott and eric mcclure battle it out in the NW series. what puts people in the stands is big name drivers. local short tracks sometimes even pay big name drivers to come and run at their tracks just to get people to come out and watch. The big names are what helps support the series. Think about this if you owned a race track for just a minute, I would rather have kyle busch in the race than no other big names at all.

the problem as I see it is, joe gibbs racing is tearing up the series. I am sure they are able to put together the most lucrative deals out there for sponsorship. this means they have more money to spend on cars. combine that with old guard teams like RCR and in particular Roush not having the big money they used to and its showing on the race track. I also think making the series championship not available to cup guys has hurt the series. You have driven guys like edwards, harvick, and keslowski further away from the series, and with that comes less sponsorship for the organization to be able to put OTHER competitive teams on the track to compete with the JGR cars. think about it, it was when they limited the championship legibility that JGR and kyle busch REALLY started stinking up the show. there is an effect to each change that is made often times its not a good effect, change it again and the side effects could be worse.

I think it wouldn't be as bad if there was more of a variety of Cup drivers who would run in the lower-tier series every once in a while. It gets annoying watching Kyle Busch dominate every weekend.

If you're not going to limit the cup drivers, how bout making them drive their own stuff with no assistance from bigger teams? That way the playing field is more equal.

Taking the only money draw out of the Nationwide Series is not part of the answer. You don't shoot yourself in your only good foot when you're already crippled.

You're letting your love for Kyle Busch cloud your judgement. Before Kevin Harvick (my favorite), Kyle Busch (your favorite), Carl Edwards (your other favorite) and Brad Keselowski invaded Nationwide from Cup, the series had identity. Now, it's just a Cup race.

You're letting your love for Kyle Busch cloud your judgement. Before Kevin Harvick (my favorite), Kyle Busch (your favorite), Carl Edwards (your other favorite) and Brad Keselowski invaded Nationwide from Cup, the series had identity. Now, it's just a Cup race.
Before real drivers gave the series a name nobody attended the events. It was a hard sell to get the series televised. Nobody wants to watch a bunch or rookies crash into each other. We can pay $15 bucks on a Friday night to watch that.

I hope NASCAR also considers limits on ticket sales, as well. I'm not paying premium prices to watch mediocre drivers. I can pay $15 to watch local drivers at the dirt track.
No Cup drivers in the Nationwide race, no BobbyFord in the grandstands. :)

Exactly, less tickets sold and much lower ratings on TV...I for one like watching the young guys battle the cup regulars.

Before real drivers gave the series a name nobody attended the events. It was a hard sell to get the series televised. Nobody wants to watch a bunch or rookies crash into each other. We can pay $15 bucks on a Friday night to watch that.

End/Thread

Taking the only money draw out of the Nationwide Series is not part of the answer. You don't shoot yourself in your only good foot when you're already crippled.
Nailed it...while I don't particularly like all the Cup guys in Nationwide, getting rid of them will only hurt the draw. Perhaps declaring how many races you are going to run in NW if you are a Cup driver at the begining of the season will be a good start. Getting rid of them all together makes no sense if Nascar wants to increase their fanbase which is hurting at the moment.

Limiting them to a number of starts doesn't stop cup drivers from winning most of the races unless they all enter the same races.

Nor will it kill the lower series but offering up a product where drivers can't actually race will.

Personally, I was very excited to watch some racing this weekend but feel a bit let down by what I've seen so far. Maybe I over-hyped it in my own mind, I don't know :confused:

Nationwide needs to get back to be the proving ground for up and comers to show their talent in a stock car before they can earn their way into the cup series. Getting real sick of people buying their way into the cup series without paying dues.
Most all of the big names like Richard Petty , Dale Eanhardt Sr and Jr , Davey Allison , Dale Jarrett , etc.,etc., got in to Nascar with the help of a family name . As it happens , so did Kyle Busch . This is really about Kyle , why don't they just make a Kyle Busch rule , then Tony can race at El Dora. Actually , Tony didn't come up through the ranks either ,but that's another story.

How can you say nobody would show up if it were just Nationwide drivers? I have noticed the racing is usually better without cup drivers. Not as polished, not as fast, but better battles all over the track. Because they don't have the experience you sometimes see bold moves. Some make it, some don't. And I am not one of those fans(?) that like to see wrecks. Having drivers with equal abilities makes the best racing. (That's why I still go watch quarter midgets from time to time.) If there must be bushwhackers then limit them to two or three every other race, and let the cup drivers themselves decide who it will be.

Have you seen the stands for an average Nationwide race? Let's just say you have plenty of room to stretch out.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's all about money, event sponsors will want to pay less along with everyone else. The Busch series was good back in the 90's with rare appearances from cup drivers but since Nascar has let it get to this level I'm not so sure they can turn back now.
It's pretty obvious the cup team money and resources makes for an unfair advantage.

Back
Top Bottom