NASCAR Death Bed

Please explain how to be a "proper" fan .............. just so we can all know the rules
I would think it is perfectly clear.... Revman said if Kyle wasn't racing.... his interest was diminished..... Skoal brought up a very valid point that those were the attributes of a driver fan over a racing fan.... nothing wrong with either... I was always a Mark Martin fan...... after he retired...... It has not been as enjoyable for me..... that puts me in the same category as Revman............

:eek:

I would think it is perfectly clear.... Revman said if Kyle wasn't racing.... his interest was diminished..... Skoal brought up a very valid point that those were the attributes of a driver fan over a racing fan.... nothing wrong with either... I was always a Mark Martin fan...... after he retired...... It has not been as enjoyable for me..... that puts me in the same category as Revman............

:eek:

Perhaps it was clear but I imagine @Revman watched every cup race when Kyle was injured ................... dude loves racing big time. I recall a few times when folks determined that I am not a "real race fan" .. I asked them to clarify the rules too

You realize this is a Nascar Death thread, right? You seem confused.
The original poster asked, "If you agree, let me know."

A race fan is someone who watches races contingent upon nothing else than the race. If watching a race is contingent upon a driver, manufacturer or something else then you may still enjoy racing but it is not the primary reason you watch.

Please explain how to be a "proper" fan .............. just so we can all know the rules
Perfectly clear to me. Some may be "driver" oriented --- if their driver isn't competing their interest in a race is lessened.
Some may be more car oriented. Different strokes for different folks.

Me --- I'm just a fan of racing. I don't have a favorite driver anymore. Make of car that wins doesn't interest me, either.

gave up on the one driver hero worship fandom thing a long time ago. I pull for a lot of drivers now. Had to evolve as I see it or go do something else. Like today, I'm a Harvick fan but Blaney is one of the drivers I pull for also. It was cool to see both of them racing each other but I wanted Blaney all the way when it came down to it. Truck race same thing, I like Bell but that youngster driving for Kez, Chase Briscoe was something else.

Nascar aint going to die. I have often been a critic, and there are some problems. But they will be running races long after we are all gone.

And FTR nothing stays the same.

Yup. And us race fans are so entitled drama queens. Nascar is certainly not the worst of the big sports.

Who remembers how many times I bring up the NBA whenever this discussion happens?

Look at the finals. 22 free throws for Cleveland in the first quarter. Basketball is way more fishy than NASCAR. All major sports are manipulated to a degree. I say lets stop living in the past. Enjoy the product for what it is, and learn to introspectively cope with denial. Sports are about competitive entertainment now. We all need to accept that sports today simply aren't about fair competition anymore.

Cause the fact of the matter is NASCAR, and the fans who still support it really don't care about the fustrated opinions of past fans. They aren't the ones struggling with the changes.

Marketing, is NASCAR's biggest issue I think

There are quite a few talented, likeable young drivers. It's a blast to watch them infiltrate the sport and take over. NASCAR is going to be fine but it sure would be nice if the suits stopped ****** with stuff.

There are quite a few talented, likeable young drivers. It's a blast to watch them infiltrate the sport and take over. NASCAR is going to be fine but it sure would be nice if the suits stopped ******* with stuff.

Yup. It's certainly gonna be tough when the stars of today are gone. The retirement of JJ is gonna be bigger than people think. It will represent the end of an era.

Also, Kyle's wreckless blocking on Blaney, man, that was cool as hell! It's racin

So......... My take on that is....... when Kyle retires....... you might listen or watch..... but...... it really won't be as important anymore...... if your wife wants wants you to go to Home Depot on a Sunday afternoon.... that will take precedent.

Not even close. I am a manufacturer first fan. As long as Toyota is in the sport, I will be there.

Perhaps it was clear but I imagine @Revman watched every cup race when Kyle was injured ................... dude loves racing big time. I recall a few times when folks determined that I am not a "real race fan" .. I asked them to clarify the rules too

Every lap....

Revman said if Kyle wasn't racing.... his interest was diminished.

To be clear....I said that my interest in Xfinity and Trucks is diminished. Cup is another game altogether.

Yep....the difference between a racing fan and a driver fan.

Not sure where all of this is going (or where the hell it has been), but I consider myself a race fan who is invested to the point I am due to the manufacturer I support. It just so happens that I am a huge supporter of the face of that manufacturer--your 2015 Cup Champion, Kyle Busch. What makes this sport even more awesome to me is that my manufacturer and the driver I support have a relationship that almost makes them one in the same.

I don't really care how others see the sport or how they see me, frankly. Probably would be hard for many to understand. Take today, for example. Kyle dominates, and doesn't get the win. Pissed? Hell yes. However, at the same time, I am grateful to be in a place in life where this can matter as much as it does. Feels great to be passionate about this. It adds to the enjoyment of his next win.

I don't have the capacity to watch a sport without a dog in the fight. Just don't. I am not one to look at the crowds, worry about TV numbers, or attempt to quantify if what I spent 4 hours doing was worth it. I know this....Every race day, I am up early listening to the pre-race stuff, getting jacked, and then I watch the race with 100% intensity. I love it. When I go to the track, I feel like a freakin' 9 year old on Christmas day. I wear my Kyle and Toyota stuff, and freakin' get chills when the engines fire. I have been fortunate enough to watch Kyle win twice, and Toyota a total of three times in Cup. Kyle's wins were the biggest highs of my sporting life--an awesome rush.

So if I am a fanboi, not a race fan, or whatever; I really don't care. I love this sport, and I have always sincerely hoped (and prayed) that those who have the potential to love this sport again find a way to do so, and get as much joy from it as I do. So I will let you figure out all of that, and while you do, I will be heading to the track again in a couple of weeks, and if Kyle should be fortunate enough to win, I'll sure let you know how great it was.

I knew that ;)

I know. Had to make sure that Kyle's chariot was properly prepared for his return. :D Still boggles my mind how under appreciated his Championship is, but that's NASCAR Nation's inability to save itself form itself.

I know. Had to make sure that Kyle's chariot was properly prepared for his return. :D Still boggles my mind how under appreciated his Championship is, but that's NASCAR Nation's inability to save itself form itself.

I still have my championship hat and shirt :D

I haven't seen any in person but I have seen some on line that say *2015 Champion.

I kind of like the stage racing. Before many were halfway riding around for the first 2/3 of the race and then go for it. Now there is a reason to go harder. So all in all I think it is an improvement. The crowds will still get smaller to where it is where it probably should be. Once it gets down to that point the costs of sponsorship will be forced down and help in that sector.
Slow the cars down maybe with 650 HP maximum and race on short tracks
Nascar was fine when they had all those smaller tracks.

Yup. And us race fans are so entitled drama queens. Nascar is certainly not the worst of the big sports.

Who remembers how many times I bring up the NBA whenever this discussion happens?

Look at the finals. 22 free throws for Cleveland in the first quarter. Basketball is way more fishy than NASCAR. All major sports are manipulated to a degree. I say lets stop living in the past. Enjoy the product for what it is, and learn to introspectively cope with denial. Sports are about competitive entertainment now. We all need to accept that sports today simply aren't about fair competition anymore.

Cause the fact of the matter is NASCAR, and the fans who still support it really don't care about the fustrated opinions of past fans. They aren't the ones struggling with the changes.

Marketing, is NASCAR's biggest issue I think
That's nice and all, but the bottom line is the product sucks.

Yep....the difference between a racing fan and a driver fan.
This is true for me, I still watch every race since Jeff Gordon retired maybe not live (DVR is great) but I still watch and keep up with what's going on. I thought after Homestead 2015 I was done and would just watch F1/Indy Car but as we got closer to Daytona 2016 I began to miss it. So many cool things going on, like the young drivers right now in the sport and I'd hate to miss it. NASCAR will be fine but I don't think it will ever get back to the heights of the Earnhardt/Gordon years.

Yup. It's certainly gonna be tough when the stars of today are gone. The retirement of JJ is gonna be bigger than people think. It will represent the end of an era.

Also, Kyle's wreckless blocking on Blaney, man, that was cool as hell! It's racin
After this year all that will be left are Kurt Busch,Jamie Mac, Newman, Kenseth and Jimmie who raced for the Winston Cup?

I was thinking about this the other day from the perspective of somebody who watches racing because they are a fan of the "racing." No wonder you are pissed. Kind of like watching one of my wife's cooking shows where I don't care how the dish turns out. Not miserable, but I wouldn't spend time with it. What a shame. I have said it before...If you don't like what you are watching.....change the way you watch before you give up on it.

I approach the sport online via NASCAR live leaderboard. This way I avoid the stages and fake cautions. Sometimes I just wait until the race is over and check SB Nation for the race summary.
Same here, I'll watch a little hete and there, watched more of the 600 than any race so far, only because I was home at night and nothing else to do.

Same here, I'll watch a little hete and there, watched more of the 600 than any race so far, only because I was home at night and nothing else to do.

The first stage at Pocono did me in but I did start the second stage before bailing until the last 15 laps or so.

Not sure where all of this is going (or where the hell it has been), but I consider myself a race fan who is invested to the point I am due to the manufacturer I support. It just so happens that I am a huge supporter of the face of that manufacturer--your 2015 Cup Champion, Kyle Busch. What makes this sport even more awesome to me is that my manufacturer and the driver I support have a relationship that almost makes them one in the same.

Just to be clear, are you saying that, if Toyota left NASCAR tomorrow, you would no longer be watching?

Every lap....

To be clear....I said that my interest in Xfinity and Trucks is diminished. Cup is another game altogether.

I don't really care how others see the sport or how they see me, frankly. Probably would be hard for many to understand. Take today, for example. Kyle dominates, and doesn't get the win. Pissed? Hell yes. However, at the same time, I am grateful to be in a place in life where this can matter as much as it does. Feels great to be passionate about this. It adds to the enjoyment of his next win.

I don't have the capacity to watch a sport without a dog in the fight. Just don't. I am not one to look at the crowds, worry about TV numbers, or attempt to quantify if what I spent 4 hours doing was worth it. I know this....Every race day, I am up early listening to the pre-race stuff, getting jacked, and then I watch the race with 100% intensity. I love it. When I go to the track, I feel like a freakin' 9 year old on Christmas day. I wear my Kyle and Toyota stuff, and freakin' get chills when the engines fire. I have been fortunate enough to watch Kyle win twice, and Toyota a total of three times in Cup. Kyle's wins were the biggest highs of my sporting life--an awesome rush.

So if I am a fanboi, not a race fan, or whatever; I really don't care. I love this sport, and I have always sincerely hoped (and prayed) that those who have the potential to love this sport again find a way to do so, and get as much joy from it as I do. So I will let you figure out all of that, and while you do, I will be heading to the track again in a couple of weeks, and if Kyle should be fortunate enough to win, I'll sure let you know how great it was.

Sounds like a race fan to me, but what do I know:huh:

Oldest daughter just gave me Kyle Busch championship jacket for fathers day !!!! :headbang:
Its supposed to be 115 degrees tomorrow :(

Just to be clear, are you saying that, if Toyota left NASCAR tomorrow, you would no longer be watching?

No, I would not. Certainly wouldn't go to any races.

Don't have to worry about it though.....Toyota has said that it is committed to NASCAR for 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom