NASCAR Death Bed

Not me. My life gets really simple on race day. Love it. Total release. Completely supported by my wife. #MarriedWell

Yeah I am the same. My Sundays are lazy NASCAR days. I am not coming off the chair until after the race. I get my release from life in my sport viewing.

I agree but most the suggestions I see are wanting NASCAR to go back to the old days. Smalker tracks, no playoff, and shorter schedule but I just dont see that helping matters any and actually thi k it would hurt NASCAR more than help. NASCAR is still the leading motorsports series in the United States so I fail to see how its on its death bed. The changes are for the good of the sport and if changes weren't being made then that would be cause for concern for me.

I don't think anyone has any expectation of Nascar returning to any specific period of time but people do talk about the time period they enjoyed and how they wish they felt the same way about the series today. I can understand that as I whiled away many a pleasant hour in record stores but I don't expect that method of music distribution to return.

I don't see Nascar as being anywhere near its deathbed but there are some obvious challenges it is facing with the biggest of them being and older audience and difficulty attracting sponsors willing to pay what is currently needed to finance a cup team. I don't have an answer for how to market the product successfully to young people but someone does and I think something will be hit on that does usher in some younger people. The sponsorship problem is something that should hit everybody equally so it will be just a matter of teams becoming lean as many other companies have learned to to. Eventually I see fewer series, smaller car counts and less races but those will be things that happen gradually and I think some of these things could lead to a better product.

I see the majority of Nascar fans falling into a couple of groups with the first being the people that see the series as being flawed but for the most part it is going to have to take something a lot more serious then what is going on today to make them bail out. There is nothing they can do about how things are so they will continue to be fans and they wish the chronic complainers would just go away or get with the program.

The second group consists of people who still follow the series but are not happy with the direction Nascar has gone and is going. Seeing Nascar is getting beat up in many directions they feel empowered to ridicule what they see as silly, foolish and just plain stupid and that includes Nascar's leadership. Anytime (which is a lot of time) Nascar makes a decision or implements a program they don't like they jump all over it with both feet. I do think some of these people want to see changes made that return integrity to the series and align it more with the world of sports while others are waiting to jump all over its grave with both feet.

How do you think Nascar will or should handle some of the challenges that are before it?

Thanks but no thanks as I can't think of any current athletes today other than JJ, Matt Kenseth, Carson Wentz, Auston Matthews or Phil Kessel I would want to meet.

So, of the drivers you have met, how many have you found to be so distasteful?

I wonder if lagging attendance, and failure to attract young people, could be attributed, in part, to $800.00 phones, and $100.00+ a month phone bills. Maybe just coincidence that, as more people got more expensive phones, attendance started dropping. That's quite a bit of money that could have been spent at the races. It might be why young people are harder to attract, they don't have the extra money.

So, of the drivers you have met, how many have you found to be so distasteful?

Michael Waltrip and Kevin Harvick are 2 that come to mind and I will give Ryan Newman a pass due to the situation. The point is I have absolutely zero desire to meet Hamlin, Truex, Khane, Jones, Dale Jr, Danica, Kurt, anyone named Kyle......well you get where I am going.

I wonder if lagging attendance, and failure to attract young people, could be attributed, in part, to $800.00 phones, and $100.00+ a month phone bills. Maybe just coincidence that, as more people got more expensive phones, attendance started dropping. That's quite a bit of money that could have been spent at the races. It might be why young people are harder to attract, they don't have the extra money.

That could have something to do with it but it could also mean that youngsters get more entertainment and social value from electronic devices too.

Although that is a valid assumption, why are those same fans not watching the races on TV?
I am wondering if more people tune in on their phones for updates during the race and are not counted as viewers? The time when TV's are no longer part of our entertainment is fast approaching ( no one is home anymore) so the new technology is where Nascar should concentrate.

I think one of the biggest hits was people not being afford to maintain a camper during the recession. Just used to see so many campers here at the race, but so many of those and boats were sold off that people drifted away from the sport.

NASCAR will be okay, dirt drivers have far less money and put on one hell of a show. Haha heck Indy has no fans and still operates

NASCAR will be okay, dirt drivers have far less money and put on one hell of a show. Haha heck Indy has no fans and still operates

Exactly and alot of these problems aren't just NASCAR's but motorsports as a whole. Indy puts on a better show at the ovals in my opinion but have less fans in the stands than Xfinity races. Young people just aren't interested in cars like past generations and the passion for racing isn't being passed to the next generation. If NASCAR is on its death bed than so is motorsports.

Coming to a track near you will be self driving cars and people will be able to sit in the stands and run them on a computer.

Coming to a track near you will be self driving cars and people will be able to sit in the stands and run them on a computer.

For real though, I think Formula E is running a robotic race before the United States ePrix. I'll see if I can find the article I read talking about it.

Thank you all for you responses. I hope NASCAR does not die. I started following NASCAR in the sixties and I miss the days with Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Donnie Allison and of course Dale Earnhardt. Back in the day there were so many great drivers. Thanks again everyone for your opinions.

Well said. I have much younger second cousins etc. that are into sports that didn't exist 10 yrs ago. One went to 3 countries last year to compete in a sport on skates but is like bobsledding with jumps. Why? the thrill and danger was his answer. He said Nascar is for p****y's now, they are so well protected they have no fear acting stupid. I can agree with that reason and maybe that is one reason so many are leaving. The danger aspect is all but gone.

Red Bull Crashed Ice. So gnarly.

I guess compression fractures to the spine aren't good enough for some. :confused:

Maybe we need to get back to the basal skull fracture days? :(

WTH

I'm at a loss.
I wouldn't sweat the loss of viewership form folks who would only tune in to be able to watch a driver get hurt

Exactly and alot of these problems aren't just NASCAR's but motorsports as a whole. Indy puts on a better show at the ovals in my opinion but have less fans in the stands than Xfinity races. Young people just aren't interested in cars like past generations and the passion for racing isn't being passed to the next generation. If NASCAR is on its death bed than so is motorsports.
Couldn't agree more. Smartphones have taken the place of cars in young people's dreams and fantasies. Cars are becoming utilitarian while having the best smartphone is young peoples' focus.

The debris caution today was inexcusable

Wasn't sure whether to put this in here but it goes along with the theme of more segements.
I think it is becoming more and more obvious that NASCAR plans to add a 4th segment that is 20 laps or less.
Both races at Michigan this weekend had a yellow flag exactly with 20 laps to go and Gateway had one with 13 laps to go. Pocono had a caution with 12 laps to go while the xfinity race had one with 16 laps to go, and Dover went into "over time".

Maybe its coincidence or just conspiracy theory, but it seems like a new experiment is going on (or maybe not so new, debris cautions).

The debris caution today was inexcusable

I believe NASCARs next move is to eliminate green flag stops as much as they can to where the only time you'll see it is when it's an unscheduled stop...

They'll play with the stage setup a little more an then occasionally use a debris yellow if needed.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in here but it goes along with the theme of more segements.
I think it is becoming more and more obvious that NASCAR plans to add a 4th segment that is 20 laps or less.
Both races at Michigan this weekend had a yellow flag exactly with 20 laps to go and Gateway had one with 13 laps to go. Pocono had a caution with 12 laps to go while the xfinity race had one with 16 laps to go, and Dover went into "over time".

Maybe its coincidence or just conspiracy theory, but it seems like a new experiment is going on (or maybe not so new, debris cautions).
I think it's inevitable that NASCAR is going to add a 4th stage to every race that's only going to be like 10-20 laps. They love them some late restarts, so it's bound to happen. Like you say, yesterday was essentially 60-60-60-20, which I think is similar to what we'll eventually see.

I'm a very cynical person by nature and through life experience (unfortunately), but you maybe on to something. I think NASCAR will have 4 segments per race next season but if they make the final segment too short (like 20 laps) then they have rung the "death bell" on this sport. If that's the case, why would anyone watch the majority of the race? Just YouTube the last segment and wait for the dissolution of was once a great sport.

I only wish today's dislike for Stage Racing existed as Chase Hate back in the day. Maybe then, but probably not, the Chase would have be abolished and we would be continuing to crown a season long champion rather than the current method. The Stage implementation pales in comparison to the introduction of the Chase to NASCAR IMO. It's just another caution to me.

That being said, I am curious to see how the playoff points earned throughout the season help these drivers throughout the playoffs. I think the importance of those points will be magnified to the X degree come the post season.

Couldn't agree more. Smartphones have taken the place of cars in young people's dreams and fantasies. Cars are becoming utilitarian while having the best smartphone is young peoples' focus.

We used to line up to see the unveiling of the manufacturers cars and trucks each fall as it used to be kept hush hush and under wraps. Now people line up to get a new phone when they come out. I have heard several youngsters ask other youngsters what kind of phone they have. I can't imagine a place or a time that wanting to know what kind of phone someone had would enter my head.

I think it's inevitable that NASCAR is going to add a 4th stage to every race that's only going to be like 10-20 laps. They love them some late restarts, so it's bound to happen. Like you say, yesterday was essentially 60-60-60-20, which I think is similar to what we'll eventually see.

Some races will end up with 5 or 6

We used to line up to see the unveiling of the manufacturers cars and trucks each fall as it used to be kept hush hush and under wraps. Now people line up to get a new phone when they come out. I have heard several youngsters ask other youngsters what kind of phone they have. I can't imagine a place or a time that wanting to know what kind of phone someone had would enter my head.
Maybe we're too old.

I used to subscribe to Car & Driver and be able to identify every car on the road from it's taillights but me thinks those days are over.

It's not even a sport anymore. It's the NASCAR Show.
It hasn't been a sport for several years.
I'm a very cynical person by nature and through life experience (unfortunately), but you maybe on to something. I think NASCAR will have 4 segments per race next season but if they make the final segment too short (like 20 laps) then they have rung the "death bell" on this sport. If that's the case, why would anyone watch the majority of the race? Just YouTube the last segment and wait for the dissolution of was once a great sport.
I don't think there is much Nascar can do to run off the longtime fans as most left are die hards and will continue to support the series.
Maybe we're too old.
I used to subscribe to Car & Driver and be able to identify every car on the road from it's taillights but me thinks those days are over.
Oh yeah.....you could tell a Biscayne from a Bel Air from an Impala just by the brake lights from a mile away.

I don't think there is much Nascar can do to run off the longtime fans as most left are die hards and will continue to support the series.
Skoalbandit33, I will tell you this much, if these idiots go to a 20 or 30 lap shootout for the race victory, I am done with the sport. I already care much less since I've cut the cable cord last year (best decision I've made in a while) and will stop watching and caring even though there is a wealth of talent coming up through the ranks.

Skoalbandit33, I will tell you this much, if these idiots go to a 20 or 30 lap shootout for the race victory, I am done with the sport. I already care much less since I've cut the cable cord last year (best decision I've made in a while) and will stop watching and caring even though there is a wealth of talent coming up through the ranks.

I know what you mean as there would not be much point in watching. When I watch sports I am focused on the game but with Nascar I can have the TV on and do a lot of listening only while doing other things as with the way things are currently I feel I am not missing anything. Seeing I DVR all the races I can go back if I think I missed something so it works out well for me.

Back
Top Bottom