NASCAR Sponsorship News Thread

Ditto. With as rarely as they'd have to pay out, Wendy's could hype a free Frosty or chili for a SVG win. Same for sponsors of the less likely winners. C'mon, Loves, cough up a free roller burrito for a McDowell top 5!

I was more thinking a BOGO free $5-6 Biggie Bag deal or something haha for any top 5.

It's entirely possible that Wendy's does something similar again.

Wendy’s sponsorship with Gragson started early in the year when fans were was introduced to the brand prior to the first race at Daytona. McDonald’s, another fast-food chain, has been in the sport for years. They sponsor driver Bubba Wallace with 23XI Racing. Wendy’s nicknamed the paint scheme for Gragson’s Chevy “The BEEF.” Without calling out the rival famous for its Golden Arches, by name Wendy’s CMO Carl Loredo took to social media and accused their “McBland competitors” of “cutting corners” in designing Wallace’s paint scheme.

In addition, the company used their activation area in the Daytona infield to set up a small replica of one of their restaurants to give out their signature shakes, called a “Frosty” and other menu item to fans.

I doubt if they have the Baconator for Chicago.

At the Chicago street race in July, Gragson was walking around the streets of downtown Chicago dressed in an outfit adorned with pieces of bacon complete with shorts, shirt, and a matching hat. He had a film crew in tow and was carrying a hamburger; actually, it was a “Baconator”, a burger, with of course bacon, made by Wendy’s, a fast-food chain and NASCAR sponsor.

1705522472455.png

I thought they used their sponsor dollars wisly, but of course the R-F advertising experts thought differently.

Gragson didn’t do anything wrong besides liking a distasteful meme.
The sponsors' opinions and perceptions are the only ones that matter. If they think a driver's actions offend the customers (whether or not the customers actually are pissed), the driver has done something wrong by their standards. Having Kyle Busch's record can get a driver through some of it but Gragson ain’t Rowdy.

The sponsors' opinions and perceptions are the only ones that matter. If they think a driver's actions offend the customers (whether or not the customers actually are pissed), the driver has done something wrong by their standards. Having Kyle Busch's record can get a driver through some of it but Gragson ain’t Rowdy.
B.S. A 27 million dollar settlement was awarded to the family of George Floyd who was murdered in cold blood, and some racist made a cartoon out of it. I really thought you were above that.

I agree, I was just making the point that I’ve never actually watched Gragson display any of this so called racist behavior other than simply liking a distasteful meme. I personally find these companies to be way too PC. Most people liked Noah’s antics before the meme, I mean he got voted into the All-Star Race.

B.S. A 27 million dollar settlement was awarded to the family of George Floyd who was murdered in cold blood, and some racist made a cartoon out of it. I really thought you were above that.
Oh, I'm not defending Gragson, and I regret if my wording gave that perception. My point was the sponsor's opinion will always trump ours here at RF.

My point from my previous post was that it wouldn't have surprised me if Gragson's actions had led to Wendy's walking away from NASCAR entirely. I'm glad they didn't and I think SVG and Suarez, with more experience in sponsor relations, will give them a better feel for the benefits of sponsorship. While it certainly wasn't in the same category, let's remember Suarez had a 'learning experience' with Subway a while back.

Oh, I'm not defending Gragson, and I regret if my wording gave that perception. My point was the sponsor's opinion will always trump ours here at RF.

My point from my previous post was that it wouldn't have surprised me if Gragson's actions had led to Wendy's walking away from NASCAR entirely. I'm glad they didn't and I think SVG and Suarez, with more experience in sponsor relations, will give them a better feel for the benefits of sponsorship. While it certainly wasn't in the same category, let's remember Suarez had a 'learning experience' with Subway a while back.
I find it ridiculous to compare the two as similar.

Their money, their standards. Like any other customer, you have the right to vote with your wallet.

You’re kidding yourself if you think voting with your wallet is going to work with any of these major corporations, they’ll just get bailed out by another stimulus.

I find it ridiculous to compare the two as similar.
I mention the Suarez-Subway kerfuffle only to indicate that Daniel is not likely to upset Wendy's. It tied in with my previous sentence about him having more experience with sponsor relations than Gragson currently has. Making mistakes can get you in trouble; at least learn from them.

You’re kidding yourself if you think voting with your wallet is going to work with any of these major corporations, they’ll just get bailed out by another stimulus.
Yeah, I'm not biting on that change of topic.

Sponsors may not care what I do with my dollar. They do care when a driver causes hundreds of thousands to develop a negative opinion by association. If they didn't, they wouldn't react as they do.

Yeah, I'm not biting on that change of topic.

Sponsors may not care what I do with my dollar. They do care when a driver causes hundreds of thousands to develop a negative opinion by association. If they didn't, they wouldn't react as they do.

I think sponsors left that driver because he completely sucked last season.

I think sponsors left that driver because he completely sucked last season.
See my comment about it being easier to survive mistakes when you have a successful record. That's not unique to motorsports.

I must be tired than I thought. I'm failing even more than usual at making my positions clear.

I don't recall there ever being a Fast Food bailout. It's usually things like banks or manufacturers that get bailed out. Fast food and retail are usually left to fail.

Back
Top Bottom