NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

You just made the list buddy! ;)
Awfully short
DG9OsZoXoAISC6Q.jpg

The passion for mototsports comes in mass when the on-track product is superb.

For decades the best conversion rate comes from people attending the live race.

When the live race is as lackluster as its been and doesnt attract a new core audience, something is quite broken.

Here is what is drawing a new audience faster than NASCAR could possibly imagine:

Okay that’s damn cool, I need to investigate this more. Thank you. Well when I was a kid there were no NASCAR tracks here in Chicago. I actually watched all kinds of racing CART, NASCAR ,NHRA and F1 on TV with my dad and brother. My parents brought me to the Milwaukee Mile for CART but didn’t actually attend my first NASCAR race until Chicagoland opened in 2001. I also went to the Chicago Motor Speedway in Cicero for those CART, ARCA and Nascar Truck Races. I guess I’m trying to say is I was just happy to go but now what I see the what the product is, I’ll always be a fan but feel no urge to attend races. I’ll just watch at home as for Indy Car..I’m trying to go to St Pete, Gateway, and Iowa next year my gf never has seen that series and it will blow her mind how cool Indy is live.

The passion for mototsports comes in mass when the on-track product is superb.

For decades the best conversion rate comes from people attending the live race.

When the live race is as lackluster as its been and doesnt attract a new core audience, something is quite broken.

Here is what is drawing a new audience faster than NASCAR could possibly imagine:

Are they racing at Memphis like in the Memphis trucks and Xfinity used to race at? Track looks in good shape, why don’t they race there anymore?

I've watched all the videos of this first test and as a road racer for 25 years look like these guys were searching for a proper fast line around the track.. Some looked closer than others. All pretty normal for 1st attempts
Don't know what crew,parts or engineering are available during a mid week test but I'll bet after full practices they'll be a good bit faster ! Funny how the Global Rallycross cars look just like the Hondas, Fords and Subarus you can buy at your dealer

I've watched all the videos of this first test and as a road racer for 25 years look like these guys were searching for a proper fast line around the track.. Some looked closer than others. All pretty normal for 1st attempts
Don't know what crew,parts or engineering are available during a mid week test but I'll bet after full practices they'll be a good bit faster ! Funny how the Global Rallycross cars look just like the Hondas, Fords and Subarus you can buy at your dealer
they don't run 200 mph

The youngest boomers are now in their mid 50's and there is nothing wrong with having them as fans but you also want to have enough younger fans in the pipeline so as the baby boomers continue to die off there are new fans on deck.

I don't disagree with that at all, but it also should have been clear that the transition would be a little bumpy and it would not be such a good idea to piss off their current fans in an effort to reach new ones. I also question the thinking that NASCAR needed to fundamentally change itself to appeal to a new generation. I really have to wonder where the sport would be today if they had just left well enough alone. About 80% of the NASCAR fans I knew from 2000 have said the hell with it and moved on. It's easy to just dismiss their reasons why, but in this case perception is reality. They perceive that Brian France and his pals have screwed up the sport and they have voted with their feet. When NASCAR lost those people, they not only lost them, but the spouses, children, grandchildren etc, often the very people NASCAR coveted so badly.

Are they racing at Memphis like in the Memphis trucks and Xfinity used to race at? Track looks in good shape, why don’t they race there anymore?
Memphis is pretty much dormant. No racing on the oval but they do have IHRA drags at the strip.

I don't disagree with that at all, but it also should have been clear that the transition would be a little bumpy and it would not be such a good idea to piss off their current fans in an effort to reach new ones. I also question the thinking that NASCAR needed to fundamentally change itself to appeal to a new generation. I really have to wonder where the sport would be today if they had just left well enough alone. About 80% of the NASCAR fans I knew from 2000 have said the hell with it and moved on. It's easy to just dismiss their reasons why, but in this case perception is reality. They perceive that Brian France and his pals have screwed up the sport and they have voted with their feet. When NASCAR lost those people, they not only lost them, but the spouses, children, grandchildren etc, often the very people NASCAR coveted so badly.
I'm as old school as it gets and I'm still trying to figure out why people got "mad" about anything. It was a race, still a race and will always be a race.

I'm as old school as it gets and I'm still trying to figure out why people got "mad" about anything. It was a race, still a race and will always be a race.
People miss Trevor Boys and Bobby Hillin Jr.

Things just aren’t the same.

I used to go to multiple races each year always with at least 4 other people and none of them follow NASCAR at all now. The rules changes and the chase are the most common things they said did them in at the time as most of them walked away years ago. I never would have guessed it would have happened but they are all done for good.

I used to go to multiple races each year always with at least 4 other people and none of them follow NASCAR at all now. The rules changes and the chase are the most common things they said did them in at the time as most of them walked away years ago. I never would have guessed it would have happened but they are all done for good.
Thats what I dont get. Rule changes? They are mad at rule changes?

Apparently it’s not the same for all competitors out there. The current car favors some teams over others. The wind tunnel is broken. Sandbagging is a thing.

And some people “deserve” certain things.

Not mad.

Annoyed. Tired of keeping up with unnecessary alterations.

NASCAR had a simple blue collar niche. Said niche lives with a 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mission.

It's a free country. People are pleased to have their prerogatives.
I agree. Racing is racing and if it’s on TV I watch. But that doesn’t mean I have to like or accept the rules they have, points system they use, or the broadcast. I based these opinions myself and on my own likes/dislikes not what I hear/seen/read on tv, radio, internet articles or a Internet forum.

Not mad.

Annoyed. Tired of keeping up with unnecessary alterations.

NASCAR had a simple blue collar niche. Said niche lives with a 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mission.

It's a free country. People are pleased to have their prerogatives.
Im just asking a question, free to do that right? I dont understand why someone cant keep up with the rule changes as far as the Chase goes its really simple, as far as rule changes on the car go, its not costing the fans a dime so just relax and enjoy the race .

To the nest of my knowledge non of my friends did any complaining but just decided the series was no longer for them and left. There is no Nascar coverage in my area or anything Nascar related going on so once you are gone you are finished.

Apparently it’s not the same for all competitors out there. The current car favors some teams over others. The wind tunnel is broken. Sandbagging is a thing.

And some people “deserve” certain things.

Some folks don't believe the wind tunnel is broken.....conspiracies abound.

some of them are pretty much mad at every little thing. I guess this is the only place where they can complain. :idunno:

You missed it as S22 was saying that people are all over social media when their fave doesn't win and there are so few people here in the grand scheme of things this joint is a blip.

Im just asking a question, free to do that right? I dont understand why someone cant keep up with the rule changes as far as the Chase goes its really simple, as far as rule changes on the car go, its not costing the fans a dime so just relax and enjoy the race .

I think the issue is a lot of the fans think many of the rules Nascar has implemented in the past 15 years or so have made the series worse and instead of leaving like so many have they are sticking around registering displeasure. With Nascar's fan base eroding like a sugar cube in a cup of coffee the malcontents feel even more emboldened and why wouldn't they. It would be one thing to complain if Nascar was adding new fans and the series was robust but it is anything but robust at the moment as it loses fans each year.

I would like to see good racing but comprehend that will happen sporadically and it is more likely to happen prior to Memorial Day. Even if the racing is not very good there are still many reasons why I like following Nascar as it doesn't all have to be about on track stuff for me.

Your question was already answered.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

NASCAR made a poor choice to listen to the empty barrels and a decade later it has cost them dearly.

You missed it as S22 was saying that people are all over social media when their fave doesn't win and there are so few people here in the grand scheme of things this joint is a blip.
While online message boards are a form of social media, their popularity waned after the introduction of the current popular sites.

There was a copyright issue that couldn’t be resolved.
Your question was already answered.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

NASCAR made a poor choice to listen to the empty barrels and a decade later it has cost them dearly.
Its not just NASCAR, all sporting events are having trouble with the me generation. All in all though, NASCAR is still a MAJOR player in sports and will survive and prosper.

While online message boards are a form of social media, their popularity waned after the introduction of the current popular sites.
Its not just message boards like this. Its ANY news article that has a comment section and their are thousands of them.

Its not just message boards like this. Its ANY news article that has a comment section and their are thousands of them.

I watched the football game last night and it was a seesaw affair that came down to the last play of the game with no time left on the clock. The game was highly entertaining and if I was on a social media site and Kansas City fans were bashing the league because they lost I would go off on them because they have no right to be angry about anything.

Maybe some Nascar fans need to band together and let these malcontents know that being mad because your driver didn't win is no reason to bash the sanctioning body. IDK what other solutions there may be.

I watched the football game last night and it was a seesaw affair that came down to the last play of the game with no time left on the clock. The game was highly entertaining and if I was on a social media site and Kansas City fans were bashing the league because they lost I would go off on them because they have no right to be angry about anything.

Maybe some Nascar fans need to band together and let these malcontents know that being mad because your driver didn't win is no reason to bash the sanctioning body. IDK what other solutions there may be.
2 teams played last night, Imagine 40 and 39 arent happy or lets just say disappointed. Doesnt help.

I don't know about waning, r/Nascar just celebrated 40,000 subscribers. Pretty decent numbers for a single purpose racing series. I don't know what the membership numbers are here but they are decent also. A racing board compared to say facebook are two different animals. Racing is a niche sport, always has been for the most part.

2 teams played last night, Imagine 40 and 39 arent happy or lets just say disappointed. Doesnt help.

JMO but I seriously doubt that angry Chiefs fans will be flooding social media today spewing bile as to why the NFL is such a ****show but I can't say for sure. As you said I am sure they are not happy about dropping their second game in 1 week but most people have an understanding that they can't win all the time. Truex has been great this year but has lost a lot more than he has won.

I don't know about waning, r/Nascar just celebrated 40,000 subscribers. Pretty decent numbers for a single purpose racing series. I don't know what the membership numbers are here but they are decent also. A racing board compared to say facebook are two different animals. Racing is a niche sport, always has been for the most part.
Point being, online message boards and similar forums were vastly more popular and engaging prior to current day social media outlets.

Now message boards have transformed into an avenue for more diehard fans of a myriad of topics.

40k is a strong number for a small subreddit - but it does not compare to the hundreds of thousands of people engaging on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Instagram on the same topic.

JMO but I seriously doubt that angry Chiefs fans will be flooding social media today spewing bile as to why the NFL is such a ****show but I can't say for sure. As you said I am sure they are not happy about dropping their second game in 1 week but most people have an understanding that they can't win all the time. Truex has been great this year but has lost a lot more than he has won.
True, Football teams tend to blame the coach and the refs for a loss but somehow NASCAR (not always) is to blame for the rain, track conditions,loose lug nut,failing LIS,the national debt and Hillary losing to Trump.

Point being, online message boards and similar forums were vastly more popular and engaging prior to current day social media outlets.

Now message boards have transformed into an avenue for more diehard fans of a myriad of topics.

40k is a strong number for a small subreddit - but it does not compare to the hundreds of thousands of people engaging on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Instagram on the same topic.
I believe I said that..they are different? Niche sport (not hugely popular) Format is hugely different. Here it is more ordered, the others, any yea who can post anything and it is scrolled down gone in a few minutes (chaotic)

True, Football teams tend to blame the coach and the refs for a loss but somehow NASCAR (not always) is to blame for the rain, track conditions,loose lug nut,failing LIS,the national debt and Hillary losing to Trump.
For the most part, NASCAR fans blame their own favorite driver, crew chief and/or pit crew's mistakes for a win that slipped away. Just as football fans blame certain players or coaches that underperformed.

If you are basing the majority of the fan populace opinions based on Facebook comment sections, you are in for the smallest bunch making the most noise. Popular social media comment sections are not the place to read a rational state of the sport.

For the most part, NASCAR fans blame their own favorite driver, crew chief and/or pit crew's mistakes for a win that slipped away. Just as football fans blame certain players or coaches that underperformed.

If you are basing the majority of the fan populace opinions based on Facebook comment sections, you are in for the smallest bunch making the most noise. Popular social media comment sections are not the place to read a rational state of the sport.
I’d just blame Alan Gustafson before I blamed Jeff Gordon or NASCAR rules ;)

They dont help and they sow seeds of discontent and poison possible future fans of the sport.

... it makes me wonder ... what kind of people allow other people to makes decisions for them about what they should and shouldn't like. ...
There's nothing new about gullibility and succumbing to questionable influences. Social media just makes it easier to be exposed to the latest trends, uninformed opinions, etc.

Back
Top Bottom