NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

First NBC weekend in the books

Cup - 3.211M
Xfinity - 823k (796k
Truck - 509k (534k)

Last year’s race started closer to 5 PM ET and had a couple of delays, finishing on USA. The NBC portion that went up to the second delay last year averaged 2.921M.

Unfortunately it sounds like this is the end of ShowBuzz this week. Was a great one-stop shop for sports ratings.

Most-watched race on NBC since Brickyard 2017 is pretty wild.

I definitely think the last couple of weeks have been a good proof of concept for late evening/night races through the summer but a lot of these summer tracks don’t have the requisite lighting. You could move Richmond to Sunday night but no one else really has that capability.

Yeah, Sunday Night racing is here to stay.

That’s a big thumbs up from me. To touch upon FLRacing’s point above this, they might have to further redo the schedule to get more tracks that have lights to do twilight/early night racing.

How much of that number is due to this being a first-time street course on a holiday weekend? It might have done just as well at 2:00 pm CDT.

How much of that number is due to this being a first-time street course on a holiday weekend? It might have done just as well at 2:00 pm CDT.
It would’ve been very big regardless because of that but getting delayed further into primetime helped a bit in this case.

The Xfinity race was significantly abbreviated but still faired very well on TV with 1.147M viewers. Can imagine it would’ve been even better if it had run in entirety. The only cable races the series has had bigger audiences this year for were Daytona and Talladega.

F1 Austria - 1.086M
F1 Austria Sprint - 806k
IndyCar Mid-Ohio - 739k

SRX dropped much more than I expected after moving to ESPN from CBS. 395k at Stafford…the smallest audience in any race the first two seasons on CBS was 951k. Jeez.

Xfinity was up from 860k last year to 941k at New Hampshire.

That's roughly a 60%-40% split. I wonder how many of the people not using TV / cable / satellite don't care about televised sports? I recall seeing in multiple places that US viewership is down across all major sports, including even the NFL. Although this may be a 'chicken or egg' question...

That's roughly a 60%-40% split. I wonder how many of the people not using TV / cable / satellite don't care about televised sports? I recall seeing in multiple places that US viewership is down across all major sports, including even the NFL. Although this may be a 'chicken or egg' question...
Sports and cable news are the only programming that hold up well in traditional ratings anymore. Sports especially so since out of home viewing was incorporated a couple of years ago.

Are sports down across the board? No. Numbers will vary depending on the time period you’re referencing to, specific teams/networks, etc. The NFL was down this last season in aggregate because of Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime, otherwise FOX and CBS had their best seasons in a while. A number of other events/sports are more than capable of hitting multi-year highs from time to time.

It’s basically scripted programming that has **** the bed, and it’s pretty much the reason why networks are trying to get these ratings sites all shut down. The Big 4 primetime numbers are dreadful.

It’s basically scripted programming that has **** the bed, and it’s pretty much the reason why networks are trying to get these ratings sites all shut down. The Big 4 primetime numbers are dreadful.
Big Bang was the last scripted (non-PBS) show I looked at, regardless of delivery method. I'm pretty sure that was the only scripted show I looked at for the last two or three years of its run.

The writers and actors strikes are going to hurt scripted programming across the board, at least in the short term. I may not have watched much in the last few years, but I actively avoid so-called 'reality programming' and talent contests.

Sports and cable news are the only programming that hold up well in traditional ratings anymore. Sports especially so since out of home viewing was incorporated a couple of years ago.

Are sports down across the board? No. Numbers will vary depending on the time period you’re referencing to, specific teams/networks, etc. The NFL was down this last season in aggregate because of Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime, otherwise FOX and CBS had their best seasons in a while. A number of other events/sports are more than capable of hitting multi-year highs from time to time.

Breaking Bad in 2014 is the time a regular cable channel won the Emmy for Best Drama. 24 in 2006 was the last on a network channel to win the award. Bottom line is the best shows are on streaming and premium cable, which is why no one watches network tv except old people.

Breaking Bad in 2014 is the time a regular cable channel won the Emmy for Best Drama. 24 in 2006 was the last on a network channel to win the award. Bottom line is the best shows are on streaming and premium cable, which is why no one watches network tv except old people.
I don’t even know what Big 4 primetime lineups look like now. Haven’t paid attention in years.

There are so many options on premium cable/streaming services you can get lost in them these days.

I think the last scripted drama this old person watched regularly, regardless of delivery method, was ... Psych? The first season of Enterprise? Darling Bride likes imported British mysteries on PBS. Otherwise, we're just not drama fans; I have enough problems without taking more on for entertainment. Outside of motorsports and golf, we watch much less network than ten years ago, but we haven't replaced it with other forms of TV. Just less tube overall.

Pretty good bump at Pocono over what a typical cable race gets, nice.

Cup - 2.808M (2.59M)
Xfinity - 953k (914k)
Truck - 566k, FS1 (706k, FOX)

Iowa IndyCar - 1.121M & 1.055M (941k, 719k)
F1 Hungary - 1.035M (1.249M)
SRX Stafford #2 - 380k

Cup - 2.808M (2.59M)
Xfinity - 953k (914k)

SRX Stafford #2 - 380k

Good ratings and an incredible crowd 🥰

Cup - 2.808M (2.59M)
Xfinity - 953k (914k)

SRX Stafford #2 - 380k

Finally IndyCar gets some decent numbers as well.
F1 fans getting worn out from Verstappen domination?

Richmond:

Cup - 2.43M (2.39M)
Xfinity Road America - 1.566M (881k, USA, July 4th weekend)
Truck - 462k (521k)

F1 Belgian GP 1.168M (1.045M), F1 Belgium Sprint 263k
SRX Motor Mile 391k

Back
Top Bottom