NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I know the race was down about 6.5% over last year which is not ideal. But that translated to a drop of about 100k in viewership so it wasn’t a huge number. I thought some Chase Elliott fans not tuning in might be the reason for the decline. All speculation by me though.

I'm not talking about the drop from the race last year, I am comparing it against the races from last two months when the NFL wasn't playing.

Ratings drop after the start of the NFL season every year which is also why it's a head-scratcher that IndyCar don't end their season a week earlier.
If the NASCAR schedule stays the same next year it should be the day after Bristol, which works out a lot better for TV (could also be a heck of a weekend for race fans in Tennessee). Being on the same time as NFL opening day and a Cup race is just a double whammy.

I imagine that will very little impact on truck series viewership. If you regularly watch the trucks you don't care who's playing baseball where

I didn't know Fox was airing baseball on weeknights. Although it looks like the MLB is trying to get the entire Rays/Orioles series nationally televised. Tomorrow's game has been moved to Apple TV's Friday Night Baseball deal.

If you regularly watch the trucks you don't care who's playing baseball where

Half of North Carolina baseball fans root for the Orioles, and you can't get those games in most of North Carolina because of MASN's BS.

Won't affect ratings in my house though. I'll have the Orioles on the big screen and NASCAR on the small screen.

I didn't know Fox was airing baseball on weeknights. Although it looks like the MLB is trying to get the entire Rays/Orioles series nationally televised. Tomorrow's game has been moved to Apple TV's Friday Night Baseball deal.
FOX has had some Thursday night baseball in August/September for four or five years now.

First pitch is 7:15 and green flag at 9:11 so with the new pace of play rules the game should be mostly over before too deep into the race anyways.

North Carolina doesn't have an MLB team.

People either root for the Baltimore Orioles or Atlanta Braves.
The Orioles had a minor league team in Charlotte for MANY years (The Charlotte O’s). I saw Cal Ripken Jr. play there when he was coming up. The Baltimore/Washington area was considered the “home” team broadcast for much of the Carolinas for a long time, hence so many Redskins fans prior to the Panthers. As for the Braves, they were the first pro team in the south when they moved from Milwaukee. My dad embraced them immediately, which is how I became a Braves fan as a kid (which was an addition to being an Orioles and Cardinals fan).

The Orioles had a minor league team in Charlotte for MANY years (The Charlotte O’s). I saw Cal Ripken Jr. play there when he was coming up. The Baltimore/Washington area was considered the “home” team broadcast for much of the Carolinas for a long time, hence so many Redskins fans prior to the Panthers. As for the Braves, they were the first pro team in the south when they moved from Milwaukee. My dad embraced them immediately, which is how I became a Braves fan as a kid (which was an addition to being an Orioles and Cardinals fan).

When it comes to football, I see waaaaaaaaaayy more Dallas Cowboys jerseys than anything on NFL weekends. At least in the east.

The worst thing that happened in NC with minor league baseball is the city of Kannapolis changing The Intimidators to the Cannon Balls, Why? A few years before that, they removed The 3 Trail. No respect

Bristol

Cup - 1.562M (1.776M)
Xfinity - 993k (665k)
Truck - 377k (469k)
ARCA - 212k (217k)

The Xfinity figure was the highest since the 2017 event, which was the last time Dale Jr. competed in the series’s summer Bristol race.

F1 Singapore - 1.182M (1.036M), IMSA Indianapolis - 345k

Bristol

Cup - 1.562M (1.776M)
Xfinity - 993k (665k)
Truck - 377k (469k)
ARCA - 212k (217k)

The Xfinity figure was the highest since the 2017 event, which was the last time Dale Jr. competed in the series’s summer Bristol race.

F1 Singapore - 1.182M (1.036M), IMSA Indianapolis - 345k

Any conicidence that Chase Elliott didn’t make the playoffs and all playoff races are down?

The worst thing that happened in NC with minor league baseball is the city of Kannapolis changing The Intimidators to the Cannon Balls, Why? A few years before that, they removed The 3 Trail. No respect
Whoa I don’t fully agree. Best logo in sports

1695166094004.png

That would be the main reason they’re down.

When he wasn’t in the car, ratings plummeted, then skyrocketed when he came back.

Chase Elliott is NASCAR right now.
Chase being out of contention definitely does not help, but I think football generally gets harder to compete against each year. Indy, Watkins Glen, and Daytona were also all down before the playoffs and those went against preseason NFL ball. The whole first round of the playoffs was down last year when Elliott was the top seed. It doesn’t really matter if it’s college or the NFL either, they’re both simply juggernauts.

I think some of the decline is people are also watching the races on "other" streams. I cut the cord last year(YoutubeTV) and have been watching most races on "other" streams. Nascar definitely needs to have a TV partner who will stream every race along side their broadcast on traditional media.

The Cup Series gets its first increase since Richmond at the end of July:

Cup - 2.000M (1.908M)
Xfinity - 828k (862k)

F1 Japan - 479k (549k)

Clown car pulls up every year for Texas. Ratings are some of the best, the stands in 100 degree weather are impressive. See ya next year lol.

1695751408527.jpeg

If you’re only attracting “hard core” fans then you’re not going to last very long.

Just my 2 cents but I think a good way for Nascar to add new fans is the grassroots way. I was introduced to Nascar by a fan and was hooked and started going to races. I’m just spitballing😁

If you’re only attracting “hard core” fans then you’re not going to last very long.
That's a different clown car. Every year it is oh it's football, it's the end of racing as we know it. Just go watch your four TV's and shut up. The ratings dip a bit and life goes on, happens every year. The dirt series are packed all season, so are the regional pavement races.

Just my 2 cents but I think a good way for Nascar to add new fans is the grassroots way. I was introduced to Nascar by a fan and was hooked and started going to races. I’m just spitballing😁

NASCAR is an experience that always blows people away when you take them to an actual race. Racing is fun to watch on TV but nothing compared to being there.

I guess NASCAR needs Taylor Swift to dump Kelce and hook up with Chase Elliott 😍

Too bad Josh Berry's married. 😅

He went to high school with Taylor Swift.

It'd be cool if NASCAR could get Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce to come to the spring race in Kansas City and root for Josh Berry. Assuming she's still dating Kelce then ... we all know from her 93 breakup songs how long her relationships last.

A couple of declines at ‘Dega

Cup - 2.505M (2.827M)
Truck - 626k (653k)

Playoff races really need to go green before 1pm.

I was so invested in the early window games that I didn't even turn the race on until the Rams/Colts and Redskins/Eagles game ended.

Playoff races really need to go green before 1pm.

I was so invested in the early window games that I didn't even turn the race on until the Rams/Colts and Redskins/Eagles game ended.

I think your idea would be worth trying. The diehards will watch any old time but you could pick up some casuals by starting at noon.

I think your idea would be worth trying. The diehards will watch any old time but you could pick up some casuals by starting at noon.

History says otherwise. But I can only speak for myself ... I'm already heavily invested in the games by the time the green flag rolls around. And with RedZone, I'm basically watching eight games at a time commercial free.

https://www.autoracing1.com/pl/412520/tv-news-weekly-usa-motorsports-tv-ratings/

TV Rating Analysis

NASCAR

NBC drew 2.505 million viewers for the YellaWood 500 NASCAR Cup race at Talladega, down 11.39% from 2.827 million viewers in 2022, also on NBC. The TV Rating was down 14.63%.

Most alarming: Only 13% of the viewers were in the all-important 18-49 year old range, a horrible result and down 35.65% from last year.

https://www.autoracing1.com/pl/412520/tv-news-weekly-usa-motorsports-tv-ratings/

TV Rating Analysis

NASCAR

NBC drew 2.505 million viewers for the YellaWood 500 NASCAR Cup race at Talladega, down 11.39% from 2.827 million viewers in 2022, also on NBC. The TV Rating was down 14.63%.

Most alarming: Only 13% of the viewers were in the all-important 18-49 year old range, a horrible result and down 35.65% from last year.

^ How, exactly, is this determined? There doesn't seem to be any realistic way to obtain this info unless the viewers are being polled directly and submitting their ages, and I know that's not the case.

^ How, exactly, is this determined? There doesn't seem to be any realistic way to obtain this info unless the viewers are being polled directly and submitting their ages, and I know that's not the case.
Households in Nielsen’s sampling register which person within the home is watching what.

Each Nielsen household has a master unit hooked up to the primary television, and anything viewed on it is recorded. Each member of the household is required to hit a button on the unit to let it know who is watching, and when they quit watching. The PPMs record viewership, too. All devices, from phones to tablets and computers, are also measured within the home for viewership.

Households in Nielsen’s sampling register which person within the home is watching what.

Well there it is. The kids are too damn lazy to get off their asses and punch the box so dad or mom has to do it. Seriously, what a clunky way to do it. Some houses jot it down on a paper journal. Every year the same ol B.S. when football season rolls around.

Back
Top Bottom