NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I believe the rating is the percentage of total TV audience. If there were fewer people watching all TV programs last year, you could have a higher rating for the Cup race but fewer people watching the race.

Think of it as a slightly bigger slice of a slightly smaller pie, giving you less pie overall even though the slice is larger.

Funny how NBC/ USA is kicking FOX’s butt in ratings. If it wasn’t for the Daytona 500 and rain delays, it wouldn’t be close.

When you put out a watchable product, more people watch.

NBC's coverage is very good. Fox's coverage, on the other hand, is a tedious exercise to watch.

Maybe someone can explain this. How can you have more viewers but a lower rating?

The Nielsen universe of TV households increases each year. That doesn’t necessarily mean they have a TV subscription, but they’re capable of receiving a TV signal via satellite/antenna, cable, or can stream through the Internet.

Household rating also doesn’t account for out-of-home viewership, which has been included in national TV figures since 2020. It’s not uncommon to see an event get a better rating but lower viewership than another, and vice versa, because one of them is being shown in bars, etc. with an audible audio signal.

Means more people were watching TV overall, which is believable with the Women's World Cup, plus the historic heat waves in the south and west are probably keeping more people inside.
Share relates to the number of people that are watching TV at a given time. Rating relates to a static figure that’s set for the year.

Share will always be > than rating because of that.

But, I doubt those streaming numbers include someone like me that finds feeds off Reddit.
The reason they aren't doing very well is because of competition. They have to split the pot too many ways and until they gobble each other up and reduce the competition so they jack up the price and gig the $hit out of us, streaming isn't very profitable compared to the other forms they have. BTW screwthecock increased their fee on basic by almost 20% last month.

Sunday’s opening third of the Michigan Cup race earned 2.603M, essentially flat with last year’s delayed but completed event (2.621M). It’s safe to say it would’ve been up had it run to the finish as scheduled.

The Monday finish earned 1.083M, the highest of the three Monday finishes this year (Dover and New Hampshire).

Xfinity earned 1.63M on NBC. This should be the highest viewership for the series since the season opener at Daytona on FS1. Last year’s was on USA, but regardless, each Xfinity race during the NBC portion of the season has increased versus last year. Additionally, NBC reports it is tracking as their most-watched Xfinity season since 2017.

IndyCar Nashville - 1.113M…NBC reports it is tracking as the most-watched season since 2016.

SRX Berlin - 377k
ARCA Michigan - 191k

IMS/IRP

Cup - 2.838M (3.373M)
Xfinity - 1.026M, USA (1.516M, NBC)
Truck - 404k (492k)

IndyCar - 556k, USA (1.046M, NBC)
ARCA - 215k (219k)
SRX Eldora - 514k

Indy was a couple of weeks earlier last year, when it was held on the same weekend in 2021 the Cup race similarly got 2.83M. Xfinity and IndyCar were on NBCSN that same year and earned 921k/502k.

IMS/IRP

Cup - 2.838M (3.373M)
Xfinity - 1.026M, USA (1.516M, NBC)
Truck - 404k (492k)

IndyCar - 556k, USA (1.046M, NBC)
ARCA - 215k (219k)
SRX Eldora - 514k

Indy was a couple of weeks earlier last year, when it was held on the same weekend in 2021 the Cup race similarly got 2.83M. Xfinity and IndyCar were on NBCSN that same year and earned 921k/502k.

No weirder than FX and TNT, which are both the same type of channel.

Disagree. FX and TNT air action shows and edgy dramas. (TNT did before Zaslav took over anyway.)

USA is reality TV programming seemingly targeting only middle-aged, white, suburban women.

The only thing that USA airs that remotely fits with NASCAR's audience is Monday Night Raw.

Oh, and SVU reruns. How could I forget ALL the SVU reruns. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"We interrupt this race to report that Detective Benson has made a break in the case!"

Don’t know what the deal was, but Daytona hit a record low by a fair margin this year. Not sure if the impact of preemptions was bigger than usual, maybe NBC will have a digital figure as well later today? I had to watch on Peacock because of the Bucs.

Cup - 3.268M (3.928M when last run as scheduled in 2021)
Xfinity - 972k (876k when last run as scheduled in 2020)
Truck Milwaukee - 521k
ARCA Milwaukee - 244k

IndyCar Gateway - 1.09M, F1 Dutch GP - 1.016M (1.148M)

It was blacked out in my area. I couldn’t watch it on TV I had to stream it

I have to find a stream for everything on NBC except the over the air NBC station and it was covered up by stick n ball locally. Not a fan if they get the next contract, Jumping for joy about the new station Xfinity takeover who hopefully takes the racing serious.

Don’t know what the deal was, but Daytona hit a record low by a fair margin this year. Not sure if the impact of preemptions was bigger than usual, maybe NBC will have a digital figure as well later today? I had to watch on Peacock because of the Bucs.

Cup - 3.268M (3.928M when last run as scheduled in 2021)
Xfinity - 972k (876k when last run as scheduled in 2020)
Truck Milwaukee - 521k
ARCA Milwaukee - 244k

IndyCar Gateway - 1.09M, F1 Dutch GP - 1.016M (1.148M)

WOW! Very good number for INDYCAR.

F1 has peaked.

It’s a relatively small drop and it may have everything to do with Chase Elliott not being in the playoffs and some of his fans not tuning in.

It’s a relatively small drop and it may have everything to do with Chase Elliott not being in the playoffs and some of his fans not tuning in.

You really don't think the NFL season starting was the major factor of a rather large (it wasn't small) dropoff? Wanna buy a bridge? I'll give you a real good deal on it! :)

You really don't think the NFL season starting was the major factor of a rather large (it wasn't small) dropoff? Wanna buy a bridge? I'll give you a real good deal on it! :)

I know the race was down about 6.5% over last year which is not ideal. But that translated to a drop of about 100k in viewership so it wasn’t a huge number. I thought some Chase Elliott fans not tuning in might be the reason for the decline. All speculation by me though.

I know the race was down about 6.5% over last year which is not ideal. But that translated to a drop of about 100k in viewership so it wasn’t a huge number. I thought some Chase Elliott fans not tuning in might be the reason for the decline. All speculation by me though.
It's a good of a guess as any.

Back
Top Bottom