NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I know what OP posted, but I'm just answering to @donthaveanickname asked.

I'm ecstatic the numbers are up for this week and great numbers for FS1. Goes to show without mother nature making a big fuss, the numbers can happen.
I was answering it also. It was supposed to be ironic if that helps spell it out..or never mind.

Obviously fully recovered from his dehydration episode, the young man acquitted himself very well.

He credited Jimmie Johnson with initiation of the driver’s video that aired pre-race.

Kind of curious to see what kind of draw the first ever night race at Martinsville will end up being. Too bad they still won't allow fans in the stands imo it's long past time to get back to normal again.

What sports organizations must understand, within all this virtue signaling, is that they threaten to isolate their fans relative to their return to the stands. You still need fans in the seats to have a quality level of sports enterprise. I post this in the TV ratings forum for a reason (and this is not political).

The return to competition by NASCAR is great, and we are enjoying watching. Once fans can come back to the track, you must maintain the deep connection with your fans prior to the reopening. How political events are handled will impact that relationship. Reasonable considerate attention will help. Overkill or excessive pandering will hurt far worse. Turn off fans relative to the latter and they may stop watching TV before you can even get them back into the stands. The organization and the drivers walk a fine line here.

The NFL has jumped fully into the fire. Some applaud that. Others who had abandoned the league but were on the fringe of returning have jumped ship again (anecdotal evidence due to response on their websites and twitter pages to recent postings...it is blistering). Some people will say good riddance to those fans upset...so be it. But here is the bigger point in all of this:

People are getting accustomed to accepting sports as a TV event. The return to the stands will be slow naturally due to social distancing. I suspect the return to full stadiums may never happen. Not due to distancing; due to apathy, abandonment or acceptance of TV as the medium for consumption.

If this happens in NASCAR, how can tracks survive? TV money already drives the majority of income, but Fox contract is over in 2022, NBC in 2024. Significant alterations in fan viewing (via alienation) or of fan enthusiasm (attendance) will make renewal dollars even worse than they likely were on pace for.

Saying all this, I am hopeful that tomorrow's broadcast is focused on great racing under the lights. The mid-week additions and changes via no practice and inversion are refreshing. Joining the daily social justice rant we already hear is not. Point made, move forward. JMO.

Cup Atlanta: 3.957M
Xfinity Atlanta: 1.266M
Truck Atlanta: 570K

I'm going to be 110% honest with you.

If these "fans" are like those who were acting a fool on social media about what NASCAR did. The sport will be better without them, **** 'em at this point.

Almost 4 million is a good draw. Lets hope Martinsville can get a solid draw, I'm liking the mid-week races... Just sucks I have to either schedule work off or hope for VTO if they have it...lol

What sports organizations must understand, within all this virtue signaling, is that they threaten to isolate their fans relative to their return to the stands. You still need fans in the seats to have a quality level of sports enterprise. I post this in the TV ratings forum for a reason (and this is not political).

The return to competition by NASCAR is great, and we are enjoying watching. Once fans can come back to the track, you must maintain the deep connection with your fans prior to the reopening. How political events are handled will impact that relationship. Reasonable considerate attention will help. Overkill or excessive pandering will hurt far worse. Turn off fans relative to the latter and they may stop watching TV before you can even get them back into the stands. The organization and the drivers walk a fine line here.

The NFL has jumped fully into the fire. Some applaud that. Others who had abandoned the league but were on the fringe of returning have jumped ship again (anecdotal evidence due to response on their websites and twitter pages to recent postings...it is blistering). Some people will say good riddance to those fans upset...so be it. But here is the bigger point in all of this:

People are getting accustomed to accepting sports as a TV event. The return to the stands will be slow naturally due to social distancing. I suspect the return to full stadiums may never happen. Not due to distancing; due to apathy, abandonment or acceptance of TV as the medium for consumption.

If this happens in NASCAR, how can tracks survive? TV money already drives the majority of income, but Fox contract is over in 2022, NBC in 2024. Significant alterations in fan viewing (via alienation) or of fan enthusiasm (attendance) will make renewal dollars even worse than they likely were on pace for.

Saying all this, I am hopeful that tomorrow's broadcast is focused on great racing under the lights. The mid-week additions and changes via no practice and inversion are refreshing. Joining the daily social justice rant we already hear is not. Point made, move forward. JMO.
Most of this I won’t touch...but FOX’s contract also goes through 2024, as they signed on for another two years after NASCAR and NBC signed for ten. And I’d expect both companies to sign extensions in two or three years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZTnBGzWoAA6Qbi?format=jpg&name=large

Most of this I won’t touch...but FOX’s contract also goes through 2024, as they signed on for another two years after NASCAR and NBC signed for ten. And I’d expect both companies to sign extensions in two or three years.
I'd be more than happy to oblige.

He said Daily Social Justice rant, I'm laughing hysterically. It's called progress, I'm sorry if some of you are hurt by it and want NASCAR to be the same ol', same ol'. I'm over the moon with what they did and its just the beginning honestly. I appreciate NASCAR for having a wholesome message, honestly it was done better than what the NFL did. The NFL honestly are about as hypocritical as they come, but hey it is what it is. You want to get rid of a stigma that's been around for ages? Then make a change, its as simple as that. Larson's deal set NASCAR back, but I'd say its awesome NASCAR is picking its socks up and is not dragging around.

I'm not a fan of politics and sports, but hell it is what it is now. I'm embracing this and this is why I love this damn sport and I love the fans who not only support, but walk through the changes as well.

Someone in here is always saying they don't watch a race to see who the announcers are when they've got some cup guys analyzing the race. They watch the race to see the race. For me I don't watch sports to see a bunch of empty political pandering from wealthy, elite athletes who want for nothing. The whole point of sports is to get away from that for a little while and enjoy some competition. The thing that brings us all together is the sport.

He said Daily Social Justice rant, I'm laughing hysterically. It's called progress, I'm sorry if some of you are hurt by it and want NASCAR to be the same ol', same ol'. I'm over the moon with what they did and its just the beginning honestly. I appreciate NASCAR for having a wholesome message, honestly it was done better than what the NFL did. The NFL honestly are about as hypocritical as they come, but hey it is what it is. You want to get rid of a stigma that's been around for ages? Then make a change, its as simple as that. Larson's deal set NASCAR back, but I'd say its awesome NASCAR is picking its socks up and is not dragging around.

I'm not a fan of politics and sports, but hell it is what it is now. I'm embracing this and this is why I love this damn sport and I love the fans who not only support, but walk through the changes as well.

Lol you think the ruling class actually cares.

Lol you think the ruling class actually cares.
It wouldn't have been done if Brian France was still in charge.

Once again, its a start. I'm not expecting a whole laundry list of things to happen, but being respectful of the situation makes a difference.

It wouldn't have been done if Brian France was still in charge.

Once again, its a start. I'm not expecting a whole laundry list of things to happen, but being respectful of the situation makes a difference.

Again, do you honestly believe these megacorps actually give a **** about anything other than your money?

Again, do you honestly believe these megacorps actually give a **** about anything other than your money?
I've seen many of reactions, for the most part no. These cars are large billboards at the end of the day.

Once again, it depends on the reaction of the company afterwards. For instance, Dave Steward, owner of WWT donated like he did with the donation to Victory Junction. He donated again towards what was going on with the social injustices.

It all depends on what companies you're talking about. Donating money is about the best thing they can do and help the issue at hand. Being respectful and mindful is enough for me IMO.

I've seen many of reactions, for the most part no. These cars are large billboards at the end of the day.

Once again, it depends on the reaction of the company afterwards. For instance, Dave Steward, owner of WWT donated like he did with the donation to Victory Junction. He donated again towards what was going on with social injustices

It all depends on what companies you're talking about. Donating money is about the best thing they can do and help the issue at hand.

Maybe. But nine times out of ten I'm willing to bet it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.

Governor just shut the race track down.

Yep, nonessential. But it's perfectly ok for crowds to go to Wal Mart, Kroger, Lowe's or some of these other mega corporations. And protesting is ok too. But running a small business someone says is non essential... ..have to put those people out of work.

Yep, nonessential. But it's perfectly ok for crowds to go to Wal Mart, Kroger, Lowe's or some of these other mega corporations. And protesting is ok too. But running a small business someone says is non essential... ..have to put those people out of work.
You must be unaware that length of time in close contact with an infected person is a primary factor.

Like sitting in qrandstand at a racetrack for 3 hours.

Don't be silly. The government would never show favoritism.

You must be unaware that length of time in close contact with an infected person is a primary factor.

Like sitting in qrandstand at a racetrack for 3 hours.

I'll take my chances because it's just like the flu or any other virus thru human history. Honestly I'm unaware of anyone in my county or surrounding counties who have had this virus. There have been some reported cases but I've lived here all of my life and no-one knows who those people are.

Thank you @Kiante for posting this, and for keeping it classy too. We are in the midst of the polling season. Yesterday I saw reports that 84% of American adults are in favor of the current protests, and most of them want lasting change. Only 14% think to protests are a bad thing. Those "fans" complaining about the empathetic statements from Nascar, Fox, Bubba Wallace, Jeff Gordon, et al are from that tiny minority. The vast majority of Americans, well, we've got your back.:salute:

If this happens in NASCAR, how can tracks survive?
People have been preferring TV over attending in person for most of a decade, and that's true of most sports. Stadiums weren't full before the corona virus came along; most tracks certainly weren't. Too expensive, too uncomfortable, poor WiFi, takes too much time, too many weather problems; the suggested reasons have been discussed here for years.

Tracks already make most of their money from TV coverage, as least as far as Cup races go. No, not as much as when they have people in the stands. Still I wonder they went to TV only as a profit source and just abandoned attendance? No maintenance of grandstands and facilities, no property taxes on huge parking lots, no salaries for ticket and customer relations staff, etc. I've no doubt they wouldn't make as much over all, but would the profit margin be greater? Either way, this spring and summer have shown they could probably survive.

Back
Top Bottom