NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I believe both FOX and NBC said their ratings were up 1%. At any rate the doors stay open in these tough times.

That is an uncharacteristically large decline for this season at 24% overall and 30% in the demo. Playoffs fever.

Good numbers for the Trucks.

It's good news for the FOX broadcasting team also. I think adding Kurt to the team might have moved the needle a little bit.

Everybody complains about NBC's crappy coverage yet their ratings are up. Just sayin.

The ratings for NBC's portion of the schedule had been close to flat until the past several weeks in which Kansas, Charlotte, and Vegas were down significantly. Obviously Texas gets thrown out with the delay. Martinsville will bring the average back up, but Fox's races will have fared better in terms of increase / decrease.

The ratings for NBC's portion of the schedule had been close to flat until the past several weeks in which Kansas, Charlotte, and Vegas were down significantly. Obviously Texas gets thrown out with the delay. Martinsville will bring the average back up, but Fox's races will have fared better in terms of increase / decrease.
The playoffs make people tune out when their driver is eliminated

I believe that is by far the lowest audience for the finale in the playoffs era. They're at the point where even the finale isn't getting a boost from the relentless playoffs hoopla. Can they just go back to televising a weekly racing series?

Football owns weekends in the fall

Has for decades and will for the foreseeable future. My point isn't to crow about bad ratings, as NASCAR still has a very large audience. It's that the playoffs are both a less legitimate method of determining a racing champion, and a resounding commercial failure.

NASCAR has been catering to the west coast for years and they can’t crack the top 10. It’s time to re-focus the campaign to rally the base.

The season concludes with Kansas down 24%, Texas n/a because of the delays, Martinsville up 6% over second-to-last race in 2019, and Phoenix down 18% against 2019 finale.

The entire season ends essentially flat against a sports television landscape that is almost universally down between 10%-40% depending on the sport. What this says is that overall interest in NASCAR is healthy and strong, and that the playoffs haven't worked to change the reality that last two months of the NASCAR season are not as popular as the first six months.

The Xfinity finale got a strong 980,000 Saturday on cable, and the Trucks got 493,000 on Friday on cable.

Daytona 500 - 4.830M
Xfinity - 1.609M (down from 2020 and 2017-2018, up from 2019)
Truck - 1.065M (highest since 2017)
ARCA - 892K (highest since 2017)

More to come on the 500 figures. I'd be interested to see what the audience at green flag and for the first 15 laps were like. It was close to 11M last year before the weather pushed it to Monday.

Last edited:
Will the new fans offset the lack of Jimmie and the "keep politics out of NASCAR" people? We'll see. It'll be 4-5 weeks before we really see trends.

I respect Jimmie Johnson's accomplishments immensely. He is no measurable factor in NASCAR viewership. The fringe casual viewer who may or may not watch would still care more about Dale Jr. or Gordon.

I respect Jimmie Johnson's accomplishments immensely. He is no measurable factor in NASCAR viewership. The fringe casual viewer who may or may not watch would still care more about Dale Jr. or Gordon.
I think Hailie Deegan moved the needle in the trucks. Time will tell if they continue to have higher ratings.

Everyone seems to say the trucks are the best race of the weekend most weekends. That's another reason why their ratings have been going up lately.
They often are the best race and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they are boxes with wheels, the way stock cars used to be.

They often are the best race and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they are boxes with wheels, the way stock cars used to be.
yeah that and a much shorter race adds to the urgency, and younger drivers trying to make a name for themselves leads to a lot of fender banging. My point was about ratings not the best racing. I think there aren't many casual fans that watch the truck racing, they are doing the best they can do to watch the cup race. Out of all the races held, the trucks are never #1 in the ratings or attendance and I was guessing that their rather high increase jump over the previous years 6% was because of Hailie Deegan's first race. None of the other series showed an increase. Have to see what happens with the road race ratings to see if that is a trend, but I think a lot of people are curious + or - to see how she does.

Cup - 4.75M
Xfinity - 1.266M
Truck - 628K

Cup was up from last August's Daytona RC race and down from the second race of the season at Las Vegas last year.
Xfinity was both up from last August and the best audience for the second race since Atlanta 2017.
Truck was up from last August and up from the second race of the season at Las Vegas last year.

Cup - 4.75M
Xfinity - 1.266M
Truck - 628K

Cup was up from last August's Daytona RC race and down from the second race of the season at Las Vegas last year.
Xfinity was both up from last August and the best audience for the second race since Atlanta 2017.
Truck was up from last August and up from the second race of the season at Las Vegas last year.

Lower series ratings looking really good lately.

This proves that I wasn't a very important fan for the success of Infinity racing...because I have not watched an Infinity race in a couple of years and they are still going strong. :cool:

The Xfinity race had the best audience for the third race of the season since Las Vegas 2018.
Dale Jr ran the homestead race last season, and this season’s race received higher ratings? That’s impressive.

Back
Top Bottom