NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Dale Jr ran the homestead race last season, and this season’s race received higher ratings? That’s impressive.
That's comparing Homestead to Week 3 races at Fontana last year and at Las Vegas in 2019 and 2018.

The Xfinity Homestead doubleheader races last summer had 1.459M (Saturday, FOX) and 755K (Sunday, FS1) viewers.

It looks like this is also the highest three-race average overall at the beginning of the season for Xfinity since the first three races of 2018.

It's cool that NASCAR has turned around the fortunes of the Xfinity series on several fronts - growing audiences, more affordable ownership leading to more entries and greater competition - all while virtually eliminating its reliance on Cup driver participation. So much for the argument that making it a playground for Cup stars was good for business.

3-year high for the spring Vegas Truck race.

4-year high for the spring Vegas Xfinity race, also a 4-year high for the fourth Xfinity race of the season, which was Phoenix the last few years. Xfinity also has its best four-race average to start the season since 2017.

Cup was up from Homestead last week.

Cup - 4.358M
X - 1.279M
Truck - 566K

Trucks are by far the most exciting racing in NASCAR and the only reason cup cars get the main attention is because of the big name drivers. Just think how exciting it would be if trucks replaced cup cars with all big name drivers. :)

Trucks are by far the most exciting racing in NASCAR and the only reason cup cars get the main attention is because of the big name drivers. Just think how exciting it would be if trucks replaced cup cars with all big name drivers. :)
I've been wanting that for years. Trucks are by far the most popular category of vehicle purchased in the US. Switching would also take a whole lot of aero out of the discussion.

And they're apparently the only category of vehicle in the top three touring series where KyBu can still win without practice. :p

I've been wanting that for years. Trucks are by far the most popular category of vehicle purchased in the US.

I don't think that is the relevant criteria. For the past several years, Ford sold more Fusions than Mustangs, and 3-4X as many Escapes. That doesn't mean that slapping an Escape badge on a NASCAR entrant would be advantageous for them or NASCAR.

While I don't have much interest in what "street model" the manufacturers pretend to be using in the Cup series, there is more of a renewed interest in the cars' cosmetics and a greater sense of relevance since the switch back toward performance models and sports cars.

Cup cars *already are* the trucks, at least they are on the intermediate tracks. That is the purpose of the "racertainment package," to make the cars drive and race like the trucks... low power, high drag, high downforce.

One can argue this formula is appropriate for a lower level development series such as Camping World Truck Series. Something relatively easy to drive for the teenagers at the wide end of the funnel makes sense. But for the top level stock car racing series, such a prescription makes no sense to me.

I don't think that is the relevant criteria. For the past several years, Ford sold more Fusions than Mustangs, and 3-4X as many Escapes. That doesn't mean that slapping an Escape badge on a NASCAR entrant would be advantageous for them or NASCAR.

While I don't have much interest in what "street model" the manufacturers pretend to be using in the Cup series, there is more of a renewed interest in the cars' cosmetics and a greater sense of relevance since the switch back toward performance models and sports cars.

Hahaha time to replace ARCA with the NASCAR SUV Series by Mello Yellow. Escape, RAV4 and Blazer are the cars.

Haha talk about rollover city!

Maybe they could race the haulers that would be super cool. But SHR would half to do some work in the weight dept. If fans think they are slow now see how they would perform with those heavy custom sleepers with generators on the trucks.:D

Maybe they could race the haulers that would be super cool. But SHR would half to do some work in the weight dept. If fans think they are slow now see how they would perform with those heavy custom sleepers with generators on the trucks.:D
Bring back the hauler rodeo, and the pit crew competition while we're at it.

Cup cars *already are* the trucks, at least they are on the intermediate tracks. That is the purpose of the "racertainment package," to make the cars drive and race like the trucks... low power, high drag, high downforce.

One can argue this formula is appropriate for a lower level development series such as Camping World Truck Series. Something relatively easy to drive for the teenagers at the wide end of the funnel makes sense. But for the top level stock car racing series, such a prescription makes no sense to me.
Actually both the Truck and the Xfinity Series have way more hp than the Cup cars. Fox doesn't show a lot of on-boards during truck races but they are way out of the throttle at intermediate tracks.

If that's the case, I withdraw the comment. I don't follow basketball and recalled they played Thu-Sun. Has play on Monday been the norm, or is it a COVID adjustment?

Last edited:
That is an excellent showing for a rescheduled Monday race. Continues the show the gulf between network and cable also. Monday network beats Sunday cable, remarkable.

What was Indycar thinking trying to go up against NASCAR in the same time slot lol
It was originally scheduled for NBCSN last week but NBC wanted to move it away from the Masters and also move it to the broadcast network. Pushing it a week back was the only way that could happen and NHL was already scheduled from 12-3.

The opposite is the case this week, where hockey was previously scheduled from 3-6 and the rescheduled St. Pete race managed to slot in from 12-3. Everyone’s at the mercy of a broadcaster if they’re getting paid.

It was originally scheduled for NBCSN last week but NBC wanted to move it away from the Masters and also move it to the broadcast network. Pushing it a week back was the only way that could happen and NHL was already scheduled from 12-3.

The opposite is the case this week, where hockey was previously scheduled from 3-6 and the rescheduled St. Pete race managed to slot in from 12-3. Everyone’s at the mercy of a broadcaster if they’re getting paid.
Oh I see. I forgot about NHL.

The IndyCar number is fine for that venue and event. They need to do what is best for their event. It wouldn't have attracted a larger audience on another day or earlier time.

What was Indycar thinking trying to go up against NASCAR in the same time slot lol
A normal Indy car race I would agree. But, what about the Indy 500 vs the Daytona 500? I have never really looked at those numbers. I do know that I would be watching the Indy 500 though. The fact that NASCAR has so many races a year makes it kind of hard for another series not to have to go up against them at times unless they went tape delayed.

I can't really see a problem when viewers can watch both races and people are worried about the poor downtrodden gatekeepers from the networks having a bad day myself.

Indycar on broadcast seems to average 0.9 to 1.2 million over the past few years, so this isn't out of the ordinary. May have seen a slight Jimmie bump if not scheduled for the same time as the Cup race.

Back
Top Bottom