NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I’ma wait till Harry Gant gets down off the roof before I tell him.

Can’t have the old boy fallin‘ off the ladder.

While I am totally game for the idea of doubleheaders and twin races, I would have to say that the disparity here does not bolster the concept.

The only thing worse for ratings than a Saturday night is a Saturday afternoon.

This seems to be true. However, regarding the SRX comparison, it should be understood that the average audience for CBS on summer Saturday primetime is around 2 million. The average audience for NBCSN on Saturday afternoons is less than 500,000.

This seems to be true. However, regarding the SRX comparison, it should be understood that the average audience for CBS on summer Saturday primetime is around 2 million. The average audience for NBCSN on Saturday afternoons is less than 500,000.

Yep, there are a lot of caveats with the comparisons.

I think CBS will stick with SRX though, even though it's below their average. A lot of their original programming is shifting to Paramount Plus and it's no secret that broadcast and cable networks are looking to sports for linear stations. One reason NBC shut NBCSN down, they'll put a bunch of **** on Peacock and more sports on USA. TBS and TNT are doing a lot more sports now too.

While I am totally game for the idea of doubleheaders and twin races, I would have to say that the disparity here does not bolster the concept.

It being on NBCSN does not help either. Also, a lot of people did not know of the Saturday race.

I personally do not think NBC did anything substantial in of marketing the double-header.

Yep, there are a lot of caveats with the comparisons.

I think CBS will stick with SRX though, even though it's below their average. A lot of their original programming is shifting to Paramount Plus and it's no secret that broadcast and cable networks are looking to sports for linear stations. One reason NBC shut NBCSN down, they'll put a bunch of **** on Peacock and more sports on USA. TBS and TNT are doing a lot more sports now too.
When is NBCSN shutting down anyway?

That’s kinda surprising even for a Saturday of a doubleheader. Michigan got 1.55M and Dover 1.77M for their Saturday races last year.

For the rest of the weekend ARCA got 235K, Trucks 497K, Xfinity 1.09M - again NBCSN’s top Xfinity audience since the 2019 finale.

I enjoy the inclusion of Road America in the Cup Series and I think it elevates the competition and difficulty. Whether NASCAR and the network consider this a successful number for Independence Day weekend, I don't know. I believe they continue to mismanage the arrangement of the schedule to some extent with the fixation on playoffs playoffs playoffs.

Not surprised the Indy car race seemed so much more promoted that the Nascar race. I don't follow Indy at all and can't tell you how many times I heard about it leading up to the race.

Saw this on Twitter. I wonder when the last time IndyCar beat NASCAR in ratings (excluding the Indy 500.)

You’d probably have to go way, way back. It wasn’t even that long ago the Brickyard would outrate the 500 tape delay broadcast in the Indianapolis market.

I think it shows that NASCAR can make an even bigger impact in the area if they/SMI can ever work out the Fairgrounds situation with the locals.

A drop of over half a million viewers since 2019. A good day?

NASCAR has the largest audience and is still way down (AFTER a two week break?!) but Indy Car attracts the largest cable TV audience for their sport since 1998, for a race immediately following the Cup race on the same channel.

Oof.

A drop of over half a million viewers since 2019. A good day?

NASCAR has the largest audience and is still way down (AFTER a two week break?!) but Indy Car attracts the largest cable TV audience for their sport since 1998, for a race immediately following the Cup race on the same channel.

Oof.
Biggest NBC audience for Indy car since 1998, and still a million off of NASCAR oof indeed

It's all relative, that is a good number for Indycar and not bad for Watkins Glen. I'm guessing the gerbils will yell louder next week, it's time to add the PLAYOFFS!!!!, POINTS MATTER and we will have to watch the last place CUT OFF car for most of the damn race.

It's all relative, that is a good number for Indycar and not bad for Watkins Glen. I'm guessing the gerbils will yell louder next week, it's time to add the PLAYOFFS!!!!, POINTS MATTER and we will have to watch the last place CUT OFF car for most of the damn race.
Dont forget Larson and Hamilin are TIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think a 35% drop looks bad, just wait until CFB and the NFL return to TV.

Nobody with any knowledge expected it to come close to the Brickyard, especially in the earlier timeslot (yes, earlier is worse for viewership). Which calls into question what exactly NASCAR and NBC execs think they are doing. I personally like the influx of road course races, but there is no evidence that they grow the TV audience.

It's probably going back to the oval after these ratings lol
I think they keep it as is for at least next year and maybe 2023 as well, then re-evaluate. Weekend ticket sales being up a respectable amount over 2019 is about the biggest success story because it didn't resonate at all on TV for any of the three series involved over the weekend. I’m not sure butts in seats mean much in the long run with the TV dollars that are in play.

Nobody with any knowledge expected it to come close to the Brickyard, especially in the earlier timeslot (yes, earlier is worse for viewership). Which calls into question what exactly NASCAR and NBC execs think they are doing. I personally like the influx of road course races, but there is no evidence that they grow the TV audience.
moved from July 4th weekend didn't help. They had to know they were going to take a hit doing that.

I think they keep it as is for at least next year and maybe 2023 as well, then re-evaluate. Weekend ticket sales being up a respectable amount over 2019 is about the biggest success story because it didn't resonate at all on TV for any of the three series involved over the weekend. I’m not sure butts in seats mean much in the long run with the TV dollars that are in play.
and 2019 had 3M viewers.

But.... I was told the people's would flock to their TV's for that exciting Road Course action from Indy.
1629219531988.png

Please go back to the oval, its where this race belongs. Plus IMO the new generation cars deserve a shot on the oval before they are deemed "boring", lets see what these new cars can do on the famed Brickyard. I hope this experiment of the roval goes away next year and is forgotten it happened rather quickly

Last edited:
(yes, earlier is worse for viewership).
Typically yes, but this race lasted until almost 6:00 PM est. It was a five and a half hour event. People who may have mistakenly tuned in around 3:30 PM est still would have seen plenty of laps turned. This was just a showing that the NASCAR viewing audience who loves their crown jewels and oval races were totally uninterested in watching another roval.

Typically yes, but this race lasted until almost 6:00 PM est. It was a five and a half hour event. People who may have mistakenly tuned in around 3:30 PM est still would have seen plenty of laps turned. This was just a showing that the NASCAR viewing audience who loves their crown jewels and oval races were totally uninterested in watching another roval.
and 2019 had 3M viewers.
But they were clamoring to watch in 2019 with marginally better ratings than 2021 on the road course. 3M to 2.8 lol.

Back
Top Bottom