Nascar Trivia

An incident during the 2003 Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Speedway involving Dale Jarret caused Nascar to implement a new safety rule. What is this rule?

That was not the first at 200mph. HINT: this was during a tire test.
A very documented tire test, I will add.

No, not Richard...Richard was in his 11th year of racing when this driver was on the cover of SI.

No and no, before their time. As a matter of fact, this driver drove in the first year, 1949 and his last year was 1968.

I guessed Banjo Mathews because I thought I had seen an old SI cover with him on it , but it seems I was mistaken . Anyway I looked it up just now and found this ......

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/fitness_top_ten_60/92_fitness_list.html?RSS

Bill Elliott
In 1985, "Wild Bill" became the first NASCAR driver to ever grace the cover of Sports Illustrated, in no small part because of his amazing accomplishments that year: 11 wins, 11 poles and $2.3 million in earnings. Elliott went on to win a NASCAR championship in 1988.

You cant always trust what you find on the interweb I guess.

I guessed Banjo Mathews because I thought I had seen an old SI cover with him on it , but it seems I was mistaken . Anyway I looked it up just now and found this ......

Bill Elliott
In 1985, "Wild Bill" became the first NASCAR driver to ever grace the cover of Sports Illustrated, in no small part because of his amazing accomplishments that year: 11 wins, 11 poles and $2.3 million in earnings. Elliott went on to win a NASCAR championship in 1988.

Standby I am looking for my question

Caption:
February 26, 1968 Sports Illustrated Cover. Auto Racing: Closeup portrait of Curtis Turner. Charlotte, NC 1/28/1968 MANDATORY CREDIT: Walter Iooss Jr./Sports Illustrated SetNumber: X12971

Bill Elliott

Turner was the first NASCAR celebrity, driving in the sport's first race in 1949, and he was the first NASCAR driver ever featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He created drama at the racetrack and in his personal life, living the American Dream several times before he died a violent and misterious death at the young age of forty-six.
www.Themotorbookstore.com

I guess. Lots of sites on the internet say Charlotte was the first superspeedway to run under the lights. But, you and I (and lots of others) know that it really was at the Raliegh Speedway in NC.

In the Iroc Championship one driver won the title after he was killed that year. Another driver drove the last Iroc race of the year and the points were added to the first driver's total, giving driver #1 the championship.

What year was this and who were the two drivers?

This is YELK's son answering this question.

In 1993 Terry Labonte drove for Davey Allison and won the title.

This is YELK's son.
Who was the first rookie to sit on the pole for the Daytona 500?

Back
Top Bottom