Nascar Trivia

What driver who won two Winston Cup championships and at least one major race on most of NASCAR’s tracks, never won the Daytona 500.

Oh, Ned Jarrett. I was thinking of Herb Thomas.
Newton was a good hint since there's only the Jarretts and Setzer, AFAIK.

OK, I'm not normally good at these things but here's an interesting question.

Name the driver and more interestingly the car he drove that was finally approved by NASCAR because of and is generally credited with having the first roll bar?

Wow, that was a long time ago...

Muggle got the driver correct but not the car. Do we want to move on or continue with the car? It is a little interesting in that NASCAR would not initially approve the car citing the roll bar as one of the reasons.

Muggle got the driver correct but not the car. Do we want to move on or continue with the car? It is a little interesting in that NASCAR would not initially approve the car citing the roll bar as one of the reasons.

I'm answering this for fun, if it's correct muggle can ask the question.

Dodge is my guess.

It was a 53 Dodge hardtop convertible. It was the fact that it was a convertible that it had what would be considered a roll bar that NASCAR objected to. They were finally convinced to let Lee run the car.

It was a 53 Dodge hardtop convertible. It was the fact that it was a convertible that it had what would be considered a roll bar that NASCAR objected to. They were finally convinced to let Lee run the car.
Where do we go from here. Is it kelloggs5TLfan turn.

Ok, a fairly easy question. There have been 48 drivers that have been crowned "Rookie of the Year". How many of those have gone on to win a Championship.

Sticking with the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR category. Another easy one.

This driver was ROTY at the age of 48.

Are you kin to Kellogg's? That is what she wants to do also. She only answered a couple of questions because I got her into looking with me for the answers

I've played plenty and now I just like to watch. Besides, I learn more when I look and listen than when I spout out. :)

jeez louise, everyone wants to watch. Is it going to trickle down to me to make a guess. :)

rofl.gif

Okay, okay, before this gets carried away worse than it is, don't tickle...nah, I won't go any further. :eek:

Dick Trickle...In 1989 Trickle made his debut driving the #84 Miller High Life Buick for Stavola Brothers Racing. He was rookie of the year in NASCAR's Winston Cup (now the NEXTEL Cup) at age 48. His best career Winston Cup finish was third (5 times). He started 297 races, with 14 Top 5 and 32 Top 10 finishes.
In 1990, he won the Winston Open (now the NEXTEL Open) in the #66 TropArtic Pontiac. It was a non-points All-Star event for drivers who didn't win in the previous year. He beat Rob Moroso by 8 inches, which is the smallest margin of victory at the event. He also won his only career Cup pole at Dover Downs International Speedway. In the middle of the 1991 season he went to drive the #24 Team III Racing Pontiac. He best finish was 6th at Dover International Speedway. In 1992 he teamed up once again with the Stavola Brothers, driving the #8 Snickers Ford. In 1993 he drove the #75 Carolina Pottery Ford.
Part of his popularity stemmed from his unusual and innuendo-laden name. ESPN's Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann often made it a point to mention where he finished whenever NASCAR highlights were featured on Sportscenter. He was also infamous for having drilled a hole in his safety helmet so that he could smoke while racing, and for installing cigarette lighters in his race cars. [1] Trickle was allowed by NASCAR to smoke in the race car during yellow flag periods, and in the 1990 Winston 500, Trickle was seen on live television by the in-car camera lighting up and smoking a cigarette.
Dick also raced in the Busch Series, where he won two races. He had 158 career starts, with 24 Top 5 and 42 Top 10 finishes. He made his Busch Series debut in 1984.

I cede to Kellogg, the other watcher. :)

Back
Top Bottom