Nascar Trivia

Name the owner whose team has won the championship the most "consecutive" years.

I protest that win, and even though it's in the record book, it's about as real as Kurt Busch's championship. Oh wait, that was official. Okay, Brett's win was too.

Cute anecdote about this. Brett has an anual golf outing in our area. One year, one of my coworker's son played in the tourney. He was in one of the last groups playing. After finishing his round, he was walking back to the clubhouse when along comes Brett in a golfcart. He asks if the guy would like a lift. Of course, what a nice offer. On the way back to the clubhouse, my friend's son asks Brett one question, "Brett, I know what you've done over the years, but have you ever won a race...really?" To which Brett smiled and didn't say a word.

Where was the first road course race run at and who won it?

Watkins Glen/ Buck Baker?

Unless you are going for the Moonshine days in Dawsonville, GA or the original Grand National in Daytona.

Nope thats not it. Daytona was not really a road course type race. Also a little hint, it was not held in the traditional south.

The race was run on the old Linden airport at Linden, New Jersey by a foreign car, of all things, a Jaguar. I do not recall the driver, just the car brand and location. It was a little before my real interest in NASCAR but it did get headlines at the time, even out in the farm land where we lived. SOmewhere about the time I graduated from high school. Not sure of the year but I think about 1954. Or possibly 1955.
At that stage of my life, my racing interest was centered aorund open wheel and stock cars as we knew them at the time but if there was an article about racing,of any kind, my interest was there too.

Okay, I went to another website.............

and looked up some additional details. The driver was Al Keller, a pretty famous driver of the day from the Formula 1 series and later, drove in the Indy 500 and other open wheel events. The car Keller drove that day was a Jaguar which was owned by Paul Whiteman, of the Paul Whiteman Orchestra, a popular band of the time.

Whiteman was a well known racing enthusiast and popular musician, bringing such singing stars as Margaret Whiting into prominence.

And puleezzzzzzzzzeeee, do not tell me you do not know who Margaret Whiting is !!!!!!!!!! If you appreciate good music you know that beautiful voice.

Nascar24rainbow said:
You are correct with that one Wizzer. Its your turn now
Anyone home. I do believe that it is Whizzer's turn to post a question. :)

Tim Richmond

Attachments

• tim34.JPG
    tim34.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 227
Good question Whizzer......and the answer is... Benny Parsons????:) :)

He looks like a cheeseburger and coffee guy. :)

Sorry Maj, Tim Richmond is right, but not Rick Hendrick.
So who else drove the Rick Hendrick owned car sponsored by Folgers, in 1987 ??? So far we have two correct answers with Tim Richmond and Benny Parsons.

Mugglenot, you need to swing a little harder 'cause you no ringa da bell but you got the ringer higher on the pole and were closer to ringing the bell with Benny Parsons. Care to swing again ??? Anyone else ???? :confused:

WooHoo, I get to make post 300 on the Trivia topic.

Now, for the answer to the quiz. Benny Parsons AND Tim Richmond drove the Folger's car for Rick Hendrick in season 1987. :)

Who else ????

muggle not said:
WooHoo, I get to make post 300 on the Trivia topic.
Now, for the answer to the quiz. Benny Parsons AND Tim Richmond drove the Folger's car for Rick Hendrick in season 1987. :)

Were there were only two drivers of the Rick Hendrick owned, Folger's sponsored car in 1987 ???? So far, still no winner.

Benny Parsons, Tim Richmond, and for one race Jimmy Means.

Folgers sponsored 2 cars for a number of the races and the primary drivers were Parsons and Richmond.

WOW Mugglenot !!! You must have scorched the research papers for that one.

You got it !!! The drivers of the Hendrick owned and Folger sponsored cars in 1987 were Tim Richmond, Benny Parsons and Jimmy Means.

1987 was the year Tim Richmond was feeling the debilitating effects of AIDS. He was under contract to Rick hendrick. Tim did not have the energy to drive a full schedule, Benny Parsons was hired to run the full year with the Folgers name. Richmond drove when he could, competeing against Parsons. As ill as he was at the time, Richmond managed to win one of the Pocono races that year.
Jimmy Means was given a the opportunity to drive the Folgers car for the fall race at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Means qualified fifth but was taken out in the early stages by an overly aggressive Derrike Cope, who, a year or two later went on to win the Daytona 500 driving the Purolator car owned by Bob Whitcomb.

I wont make my question quite as hard as Whizzer's :).

Homestead is now a very important race on the schedule. Which driver has the most wins at Homestead.

Okay, I guess it's my turn to ask.

The youngest car owner in NASCAR records was Mamie Reynolds, 19 of Asheville, NC. Her driver won for her on her fourth start, September 13, 1962. Who was her driver?

Too easy Buck, as I was a BIG Freddie Lorenzen fan !!!!! That Yankee went south and kicked some serious azz !!!!!!!!! In Georgia no less !!!!! He proved he wasn't a one race wonder. Lorenzen was good !!!!!!

Hey Buck !!! Thanks for the info and question. I never knew Mamie Reynolds, as car owner, was only nineteen. Makes me wonder, did she get the car for her enjoyment or so she could hire the driver, Fred "Golden Boy" Lorenzen ?????

Whiz, I'll be you'd be surprised to hear that my mother-in-law dated two NASCAR greats when she was young. The first was Curtis Turner. Can't believe she dated him knowing her. It probably didn't last very long as wild as Curtis was. The other was ol' Smitty himself, Bruton. Damn, if she had gone on and married him...well she wouldn't have produced my wife so I'm glad that didn't work out.

What race was started, stopped after several laps because of rain, and totally restarted from the beginning instead of starting where it left off when stopped for rain ???

I believe it was the Winston all star race, which was won by Jeff Gordon in a back up car, after getting in a wreck during those first few laps. I can only guess on the year. I'll guess 1996.
:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

The question is about a regular NASCAR race where points were awarded.
The Winston is a special event and that is why the restart from the beginning.
Sorry if I failed to make that clear in the original question.
Racer8, thanks for refreshing my memory on the Winston.

The race in question had run more than twenty green flag laps before being stopped. When it was restarted, it was started at lap one. None of the twenty laps (more or less) already run were counted.

I remember a race at Atlanta in the spring, around 91 or 92 that was postponed due to snow, but honestly don't remember if it ever got started in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom