Nascar Trivia

Whizzer said:
What race was started, stopped after several laps because of rain, and totally restarted from the beginning instead of starting where it left off when stopped for rain ???
Good question Whizzer. :) It is a tough one though. Hopefully someone will come up with the answer.

We were at that race and

racer8 said:
I remember a race at Atlanta in the spring, around 91 or 92 that was postponed due to snow, but honestly don't remember if it ever got started in the first place.

We were at that race. the weather, the day before, was balmy and so warm, we wore no jackets. We had gone to downtown Altanta to do some sightseeing. That night, the wind picked up and we put the awnings up on the motorhomes. The harder it blew the more wind leaked around the doors and windows and the heaters could not keep up with the declining temps.
And then it began to snow !!!!!! The temperature dropped from the seventies to the mid-twenties that night.

The next morning, opened the doors to let the dogs out and they took one step, one look, and wanted back in !!!! A little forced march to lessen the bladder size on two dogs was in order, and in the process, saw signs torn down, tents collapsed and even porta potties overturned by the high wind.

Decided to go into town to find an additional heater for the motorhomes and saw cars off the roads and in ditches, cars over heated from freezing and
i-o-dots who were out raising cain on the icy roads and just being anal trying to sppin around on the icy highways with no regard for other drivers. It was as if some epople had never seen snow or icy conditions. The highway department had only one truck spreading sand and it was FOLLOWED by a road grader pushing the sand off the roads !! We never did figure what that was all about.

The race was postponed and we moved on to Florida with no intention of returning for the race. Stopped in Ocala at the Caterpillar dealer to have the motorhome serviced and gave the tickets to the mechanic.

I will look to see if I can find some pictures of the havoc caused by the high winds that weekend. They are pretty interesting. :)

SInce the activity has dimished, the answer to the trivia question is, the race was held at Valdosta, Georgia. They raced twenty plus laps under green flag conditions when the event was red flagged because of rain. When the race restarted, it was started from the first lap and the laps already run were thrown out.
The date ??? June 27, 1965. Had to look the date up but recall the event.

It was a good question Whizzer and one that was unique. You deserve the chance to post the next question only this time maybe make it a little easier. :)

In the modern era, which driver at which track, rode with all four wheels on top of the safety rail, was prevented from leaving the track by the cyclone fence, came back onto the track and went on to win the race ??????

No one is guessing so is this question too tough ???????

Here is a hint, the track is in Virginia, the year was 1972 and the winner holds the record for the most wins in NASCAR with 200.

Hope this helps.

I guess Petty had a habit of hitting the fence....wasn't it in Daytona where we tore the fence up on on the front stretch during another race?

The race was the September, 1972 race held on the fairgrounds at Richmond. Petty and Bobby Allison were mixing it up pretty good and Petty bumped Allison, and Allison returned the favor and "accidentally tapped" Richard, sending him on top of the steel guard railing, all four wheels off the ground, Petty was saved from going outside the track by the cyclone catch fence. The car bounced back onto the track, raced over a hundred more laps and went on to win the race.

Yes Fergy, "The King" did in fact climb the fence in the 1988 Daytona 500 when his car jumped the main barrier, rode up to the cyclone safety fence, came back to the track surface and rolled at least a dozen times. It was a terrifying crash. Watching the race on the telly, figured "The King" could never survive that crash. His car literally disintegrated. He raced the next week at Richmond and finished, third !!!!!!

So, I guess that it is Fergy's turn to post a question.

The previous question reminds me of the story of Fred Lorenzen in his early days of Nascar racing. He was following Junior Johnson real close for many laps and kept bumping Junior. Well, Junior finally had enough and hit his brakes and Fred hit him smashing in his radiator and was out of the race. Lorenzen said that he learned a valuable lesson from Junior.

muggle not said:
So, I guess that it is Fergy's turn to post a question.

The previous question reminds me of the story of Fred Lorenzen in his early days of Nascar racing. He was following Junior Johnson real close for many laps and kept bumping Junior. Well, Junior finally had enough and hit his brakes and Fred hit him smashing in his radiator and was out of the race. Lorenzen said that he learned a valuable lesson from Junior.
Come on fergy....it is your turn.

ok, what driver led the fewest number of laps in winning the daytona 500?

This Driver Died in 1990
1]name 2] car number 3] last race track he raced on

During the years 1972 thru 1980 Richard petty had the highest avg finish in the points championship and won the championship 4 times durong that span.

Question, who had the 2nd highest avg finish in the points standings for the same time period.

....................R. Petty

Avg finish......2.56

You are correct Mo. Benny was the 2nd most successful driver over that time span.

....................R. Petty...........Benny Parsons

Avg finish......2.56.....................3.67

who is the only nascar driver to retire as series champion?

How do you figure. Ned Jarrett was champion in 1965 and then raced 21 races in 1966.

muggle not said:
How do you figure. Ned Jarrett was champion in 1965 and then raced 21 races in 1966.

he retired while he was still champion, they hadn't crowned a new one yet because the season wasn't over. i guess i could have worded the question a little better

DirtyMo1381529 said:
he retired while he was still champion, they hadn't crowned a new one yet because the season wasn't over. i guess i could have worded the question a little better
No problem, there are a few things that I also coulda done bettter. :D

OK................

Who sat on the pole for the 1982 Daytona 500 , what was his pole winning speed and where did he finish in the points at the end of the year??????

Back
Top Bottom