Nascar Trivia

In how many consecutive races did Bobby Allison lead a lap during his "Joe DiMaggio" record streak?

Pedro Rodriguez - Average finish = 5.0. Raced one race @ CMS in 1965. Started 12th, finished 5th, 9 laps down.
Not what I was looking for but proved to be correct nonetheless lol. Good job. I had to look around for that one. You would think it would have all time drivers.. "active drivers since 1960" doesn't make sense you know? Anywho your turn.

Not what I was looking for but proved to be correct nonetheless lol. Good job. I had to look around for that one. You would think it would have all time drivers.. "active drivers since 1960" doesn't make sense you know? Anywho your turn.
Yeah, I kinda figured that may throw you a little. :D

Next.....

This driver is the son of the son of a NASCAR driver that has a grandfather who's grandson won 19 Cup races. o_O

Name the driver.

Next.....

This driver is the son of the son of a NASCAR driver that has a grandfather who's grandson won 19 Cup races. o_O

Name the driver.

confused.gif

Name the owner that won a Cup championship while racing one particular make of car, but whose sponsor was the name of a competing make of car.

Bonus points for providing the make of the car and the sponsor of the car.

Name the owner that won a Cup championship while racing one particular make of car, but whose sponsor was the name of a competing make of car.

Rick Hendrick Chevy and Ford

although all of Hendrick's championships were accomplished with Chevy's, I don't recall any of the cars having a sponsor named Ford

gotta picture maybe ?

in any case, Hendrick isn't the owner I have in mind

He had one but it was in the Busch series, just messin to see if anybody else remembered.

Richard Petty with a Dodge, Plymouth

So you're saying that Richard Petty won a Cup championship as an owner while racing a Dodge that had a sponsor named Plymouth ?

what year ?

gotta picture of the car ?

Petty, along with his father, was co-owner of the Dodge Chargers that he drove to Cup championships in 1974 and 1975. But I can find no evidence that he had a sponsor named Plymouth in either of those years as he was with STP then.

Petty isn't the guy I've got.

This is what I came up with from this article. http://www.allpar.com/racing/petty-plymouth-racing.html It is almost at the very end of the article. Petty was running two different cars, a Plymouth Beep beep, and a Dodge Charger. Mopar was furnishing the cars so i thought that would be a sponsor of sorts..but STP would switch from whatever brand of car he was racing? That make any sense?:)

"Richard alternated between the Road Runner and the Charger for the rest of the 1972 season. The final run for the Plymouth was at Dover in September 1972. At the end, Richard Petty won the first Winston Cup Series Championship. His fourth NASCAR Championship."

Bill Elliot? Bobby Isaac? Ned Jarrett? I'm just hoping... I cant find anything on this anywhere..

nope, nope, nope

part of my approach to these questions is to come up with stuff that you can't just google the answer to

something like "Who competed in a race with a monkey in his car ?" is way too easy to find the answer to

btw, I'm not aware that any of those guys you named were car owners

in any event, no one that's been mentioned so far was the owner or driver of the car that I've got in mind

first hint:

the car owner actually won two Cup championships, both years with the same make of car and a sponsor with the name of a competing make of car

This is what I came up with from this article. http://www.allpar.com/racing/petty-plymouth-racing.html It is almost at the very end of the article. Petty was running two different cars, a Plymouth Beep beep, and a Dodge Charger. Mopar was furnishing the cars so i thought that would be a sponsor of sorts..but STP would switch from whatever brand of car he was racing? That make any sense?:)

"Richard alternated between the Road Runner and the Charger for the rest of the 1972 season. The final run for the Plymouth was at Dover in September 1972. At the end, Richard Petty won the first Winston Cup Series Championship. His fourth NASCAR Championship."

funny how you left out the last line of the paragraph: "A good effort for his sponsor, STP."

seriously, I see what you're getting at but Petty isn't who I have in mind

btw, great article that includes some links to other great, informative articles . . .

Bill Elliot? Bobby Isaac? Ned Jarrett? I'm just hoping... I cant find anything on this anywhere..

nope, nope, nope

correction:

Bill Elliott was the owner/driver of the 94 car in the late '90's but he didn't win a championship with it nor did his sponsor have the name of a competing make of car

This isnt a quick and easy game, sometimes one question endures for weeks or months before being answered correctly, just browse through the last nine years or so.

This isnt a quick and easy game, sometimes one question endures for weeks or months before being answered correctly, just browse through the last nine years or so.

I'll try to provide hints, as warranted, but I've got to be careful not to give up too much obvious information

'nuff said for now

funny how you left out the last line of the paragraph: "A good effort for his sponsor, STP."

btw, great article that includes some links to other great, informative articles . . .

Question is confusing as far as I am concerned. Too ambiguous. My example was the cars are like cousins, both Mopars. Produced by the same company but with different names at that time. Petty was the distributor/re-seller of Mopar racing parts. I call that a sponsor..a factory sponsor, Petty was the car owner and the driver of both, and STP another sponsor, switched from whatever brand of car Petty was running that year and he won the championship that particular year. So definitely hints are needed.

Question is confusing as far as I am concerned. Too ambiguous. My example was the cars are like cousins, both Mopars. Produced by the same company but with different names at that time. Petty was the distributor/re-seller of Mopar racing parts. I call that a sponsor..a factory sponsor, Petty was the car owner and the driver of both, and STP another sponsor, switched from whatever brand of car Petty was running that year and he won the championship that particular year. So definitely hints are needed.

I think what you're trying to say is that Petty, as owner/driver, raced with a Dodge and a Plymouth in his '72 championship year and was sponsored by Chrysler

technically I guess that would qualify as a correct answer but it's not what I'm looking for

imo, hint(s) have been provided

more to come . . .

Yeah that is what I was pointing out. Another time was when GM was phasing out the Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. I didn't research that area, but there could be some overlap there, and then Bill France senior did some switching around way back when he was trying to entice manufactures to participate in Nascar events, on and on. Your question is like what sponsor besides Dupont was on Jeff Gordon's car. He has had quite a few.

Yeah that is what I was pointing out. Another time was when GM was phasing out the Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. I didn't research that area, but there could be some overlap there, and then Bill France senior did some switching around way back when he was trying to entice manufactures to participate in Nascar events, on and on. Your question is like what sponsor besides Dupont was on Jeff Gordon's car. He has had quite a few.

because you're sticking with this, I'll throw out another hint, of sorts

"Rick Hendrick, as owner of the Cup championship winning Chevrolet driven by Jeff Gordon and sponsored by DuPont" would be a correct answer if DuPont, in addition to being the name of a chemical company, was the name of a make of car that Gordon competed against.

btw, there was a car named DuPont back in the day

it's just that Gordon didn't compete against one during any of his championship seasons
1929DuPontConvertibleCoupewithRumbleSeat.jpg

a quick recap of the hints provided so far:

two hints provided in this post; one obvious, the other not so obvious . . .

nope, nope, nope

part of my approach to these questions is to come up with stuff that you can't just google the answer to

something like "Who competed in a race with a monkey in his car ?" is way too easy to find the answer to

in any event, no one that's been mentioned so far was the owner or driver of the car that I've got in mind

first hint:

the car owner actually won two Cup championships, both years with the same make of car and a sponsor with the name of a competing make of car

although I may not have told you to go to hell in this post, I did tell you where to go . . .

hopefully, with this post, the relationship between the name of the sponsor and the name of the competing make of car is clarified . . .

"Rick Hendrick, as owner of the Cup championship winning Chevrolet driven by Jeff Gordon and sponsored by DuPont" would be a correct answer if DuPont, in addition to being the name of a chemical company, was the name of a make of car that Gordon competed against.

if only you could find an article that provided an excellent in-depth history of NASCAR somewhere you'd be well on your way to answering the question . . .

The driver that competed in a race with a monkey in his car was later the driver that won a Cup championship while racing a particular make of car whose sponsor had the same name as a competing make of car.

The question is: Who was the owner of the championship car.

Back
Top Bottom