NASCAR's most underrated drivers.

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by AndyMarquisLive, Jun 8, 2019.

1. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

I still don’t think they were top tier. They did have some really good drivers at the time.

2. JohnHill

JohnHill Rusty Wallace & Terry Labonte Rule!

I think sterling marlin is also highly under appreciated!

He would have been the 2002 Cup champion. Really not much debate about that... then he got hurt and sidelined with that Kansas wreck. Great wheelman!

Elliott_Fan_9, JBone88 and 2 Sweet like this.
  3. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Absolute unit.

ChexOrWrex likes this.
  4. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

he wasn't watching in those years. BTW that was also back when only 10 cars go into the chase as well. half the cars in the whole deal were roush cars. If today half the playoffs were one organization, I am pretty sure they would be considered top tier. Its very hard for a company to have all its cars running well enough to be in the top 10.

5. BobbyFord

Who wasn’t watching in those years?

6. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

Of the past: Hut Stricklin
    Currently: Chris Buescher

AuzGrams likes this.
  7. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

There's plenty of debate. He was 5th in points when he got injured

gnomesayin likes this.
  8. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Casey Atwood.

9. BobbyFord

FFS

10. BobbyFord

11. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Elliott_Fan_9 and AuzGrams like this.
  12. BobbyFord

Martin...Jeff Burton...

13. BobbyFord

Exactly. Everyone likes to talk about Jimmie Johnson instead ;)

14. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

Brian Vickers

15. Ashstrodamus

Ashstrodamus Team Owner

John Andretti. Loyalty kept him mired in Petty-junk for far too many years.

16. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Maybe he was overrated...
    But the kid was a great in Xfinity....I loved to watch him.
    You are well aware how important communication with CC/Driver is.... Just like Logano who promised much but delivered little during his 4 years at JGR ....Atwood didn't receive the match he needed during his 2 years with Evernham....seems a million years ago now

BobbyFord likes this.
  17. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

BobbyFord likes this.
  18. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

Boy, I NEVER saw it that way at all. I remember being GENUINELY concerned for a good while that Roush was going to completely dominate NASCAR. One thing I WAS told by a couple of guys that went to work there was that Jack was kind of cheap with salaries, including drivers, and that it wasn't most of the guys "dream job". They said everybody really wanted to go work for Hendrick or JGR. I don't think the team was ever the same after Jack sold part of the team to Henry.

19. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Kept Front Row Motorsports 34 in the top 35 of owner points for all of 2009 which was huge for that team.

20. Switchback

Switchback Team Owner

I agree, Roush was a power house in the early 2000s. He made guys like Kenseth, Edwards, Kurt Bush and others into superstars.

21. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

22. DSquad48

DSquad48 Wizard/Mall Santa

Jimmie Johnson. No sh!t.

For all of the success the man has had in his career, people still put qualifiers on his achievements as if he's some slouch.

7x Champ BUT he had the Chase Format. 83 wins BUT he had Chad Knaus. He's just the product of a great organization. :bsflag:

23. Madman88

Madman88 Crew Chief

yeah, the same people are like Dale E. was just a bully who only won cause he wrecked people. Race um straight up and he'd of lost a lot of those.

:puffin::puffin::puffin:

24. JerryF

JerryF Tire changer

Not sure if Kenny Schrader and Neal Bonnett were underrated.... Maybe Harry Gant too. I think they were. I know the other drivers respected them.

Team Penske likes this.
  25. 28car

28car Team Owner

Not sure of the year, but YES to eyelids taped open
    Happened in Daytona

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/countdown-to-daytona-a-salute-to-tough-guy-ricky-rudd-013117

JohnHill likes this.
  26. Ashstrodamus

Ashstrodamus Team Owner

That he did. That's the last year I went to Martinsville or any Nascar race for that matter. He had a pretty good run going and Elliott Sadler spun him out to put him a lap down. At least I got to see him win there live in 1999. Unforgettable moment for me.

27. DaBiff1618

DaBiff1618 Team Owner

Every great athlete/driver has haters. Don’t think that makes them underrated. Unless you think Lewis Hamilton is underrated as well. I agree with Andy that Biffle is underrated, he got run out of the sport when he still has some driving ability and was a loose wheel while leading at Texas from being the first driver with championships in all 3 series.

Some others:

JPM (has won in every top racing series, came oh so close many times on ovals in Cup)

Truex (a champion that people actually do try to negate his accomplishments, many in this board)

Vickers (last cup driver to win on part time schedule, last win for MWR, also made the chase and won with RBR. If he didn’t have blood clots I think he’d still be around.)

Turtle84, zevious and Team Penske like this.
  28. Ford 222

Ford 222 Team Owner

When you built the teams, won in everything you raced, and are the boss/owner, you’re allowed to do that. He was the most hands on owner in the garage, actual team member while he was winning. Hendrick, Gibbs, Childress, Penske, and almost everyone else outside driver owners don’t lay a hand on the car, engine, or race strategy. Gotta respect what he’s done.

Wouldn’t fly with him though....

29. Ford 222

Ford 222 Team Owner

Gant....definitely. Heck he didn’t make it to Cup until he was 40 or something did he?