Nationwide Daytona

The established news media spent all night showing images of the injured people and showing the videos NASCAR pulled. Let's not just criticize social media. CNN's coverage tonight made my journalism career weep.
Everything I tried to type in response to this got erased because before I could post it my common sense in my right hand smacked me upside the head and said lighten up, Its just Andy. :p

I don't know why but this made me laugh.

"We know a lot, and we know what we know. But the biggest thing we know is we don’t know everything that we need to know," Helton said. "There are moments that occur that we’ve just never seen before and can’t really plan for.

What did Smith say exactly about the wreck? I can't find a video anywhere.

Smith took the blame for the crash, saying he was trying to block Keselowski to protect the lead.“My fault, I threw a block,” Smith said. “I’ll take full blame for it. But when you can see the checkered flag at Daytona, you’re going to throw a block and you’re going to do everything you can to be the first car back to the stripe.“It just didn’t work out today. I’m hoping everybody is OK who was in the wreck and in the stands.”

Via sportingnews.com

No fatalities were reported at either hospital. Cogdell said two people taken to the Halifax in Daytona Beach arrived in critical condition, and one of those had life-threatening injuries, both were upgraded to stable condition.

Just read this from a report Jenna Fryer did. found it on comcast page.

Smith caused the wreck but listening to Brian Scott say that after he saw the cars ahead of him wreck he "held it wide open" in hopes of staying high and picking up a couple spots at the line was unbelievable. It was his car going full speed that sent Kyle Larson's car sailing up into the fence - good move idiot!

Seeing Dale Jarrett do his shill job with Helton - declaring that "the catch fence did its job" was also painful. If it did its job why are 30 people injured, at least two critically?

Smith caused the wreck but listening to Brian Scott say that after he saw the cars ahead of him wreck he "held it wide open" in hopes of staying high and picking up a couple spots at the line was unbelievable. It was his car going full speed that sent Kyle Larson's car sailing up into the fence - good move idiot!

Seeing Dale Jarrett do his shill job with Helton - declaring that "the catch fence did its job" was also painful. If it did its job why are 30 people injured, at least two critically?
Yes, because 35 cars going 200 MPH coming to the checkered flag, he's the idiot. :rolleyes:

Link please.

Yes, because 35 cars going 200 MPH coming to the checkered flag, he's the idiot. :rolleyes:

You see a wreck ahead and you hold it wide open? Please activate your brain.

Fact - If he had let off upon seeing the wreck in front of him most if not all of the injured fans would be having a pleasant evening tonight.

It did, hints the car landed in the infield, not in the stands. The motor and right front assembly did not make it past the fence. Unfortunately the left front cleared the 22 FOOT tall fence so the fence couldn't catch it. No catch fence at any racetrack is gonna keep all parts and debris from entering the stands. Whether it's 2.5 miles at Daytona or a .5 mile Martinsville.

"At least 30 fans injured when car sails into fence at Daytona"

"No fatalities were reported at either hospital. Cogdell said two people taken to the Halifax in Daytona Beach arrived in critical condition, and one of those had life-threatening injuries, both were upgraded to stable condition."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/...r-crash-that-appears-to-have/?intcmp=features
Andy is the only one allowed to posts links to FOX news..you are going to mess up his count

Speaking of people who don't know what they are talking about. I read an article talking about todays wreck stating that Dan wheldon was killed in a Nascar crash. You really shouldn't write about a sport or anything else unless you actually follow it.

It did, hints the car landed in the infield, not in the stands. The motor and right front assembly did not make it past the fence. Unfortunately the left front cleared the 22 FOOT tall fence so the fence couldn't catch it. No catch fence at any racetrack is gonna keep all parts and debris from entering the stands. Whether it's 2.5 miles at Daytona or a .5 mile Martinsville.

The fence did part of its job. The bloody spectators are testament to a big incomplete.

I do believe though that no blocking move by Smith and Scott choosing to let off instead of continuing "wide open" would have made this all moot.

This.

Maybe one day a fence of some sort will be devised that's capable of stopping not only the car flying into it at 200 mph, but also stopping 100% of every part that might fly off the car as it's flying into the fence at 200 mph. Or maybe a car that stays absolutely contained withinn itself when it's bouncing off the fence at 200 mph. But until then, a catch fence that keeps the car out of the stands has done its job. There's room for improvement, sure, but the fence did keep the car out of the grandstands.

A driver can't think about whether the fence will hold or not, he has to trust the fence and try to win the race. Whether he should have lifted or not reminds me of something Robbie Loomis once said years ago when he was Crewchief of the 24: "It's easy to be a good Monday morning Crewchief but a quite different thing to be a good Sunday afternoon Crewchief"

I just finished the race, crazy. Hopefully all the fans and Michael Annett end up being ok. That video from the stands is insane.

Really classy move by Tony Stewart not to celebrate.

The fence did part of its job. The bloody spectators are testament to a big incomplete.

This may shock you, but for 64 years before the breaking news alert came across your television and you found out about NASCAR, people have been working to make a dangerous sport safe for fans and drivers.

This may shock you, but for 64 years before the breaking news alert came across your television and you found out about NASCAR, people have been working to make a dangerous sport safe for fans and drivers.

My first NASCAR race was Riverside in the mid-60s. Try again. Commenting on the accident, the bad decisions leading to it and the injuries sustained by the spectators does not mean I hate racing (I love it) or do not recognize how much safer it is now than in the old days.

Also - look at photos of the fence after the crash, it was completely torn open - if another idiot like Brian Scott had held it "wide open" coming from the rear there could have been numerous fatalities. Sorry if reality offends you.

Sorry if reality offends you.

LOL. Right back at ;)

Welcome to the forum:p

Fox news... Isn't that an oxymoron? Kinda like military intelligence.

I guess I should've gone to the awesome news service that is the Associated Press:

daytonewrecksi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom