Nationwide Daytona

Make them sit above it. Like Jr said.

A lot of people like begin close to the action, but I agree you could move people back. For the record I've sat on the front road at a super speedway right behind the thing and I didn't feel too bad about it. I knew it was a risk but free tickets are free tickets. :)

BTW consider the shot tracks, I can envision a freak accident with a tire getting over the fence and into the stands. There isn't much room to backup there...Martinsville too. If they back the crowd up that far they will lose a ton of seats and they can't really build any more.

I'm not saying we shouldn't improve the fence, they need to reconsider where they put crossing gates for sure. But I think we can solve this problem from another angle: The car. Why not have a last line of defense, a safety cable or something that would keep the wheel attached if all else failed? I don't think it would be too hard to do, but then again I couldn't design such a system either. :)

Lifting or not lifting at 200mph wouldn't have made much difference at that point . How much speed would have bled off in that short amount of time?

I know a lot of fans were injured but I'm surprised nobody mentioned that cameraman. He was close to that gate before the accident and when the camera pans back to that spot he is gone along with the camera and there's a big hole in the fence.
I can't remember which reporter tweeted about the camera man, but he was OK. Camera was a little worse for wear after being dropped, but the man is fine.

The wheels on the car are tethered --- the whole wheel and suspension assembly was torn off Larsen's car yesterday.

Got a link that explains this or know any more information yourself? I'm interested because I never knew, how long have they been doing this?

You're right too, I've never seen a car fall apart like his did and I'm sure I never will again. It is amazing that he could walk away from a crash like that.

Seems to me the catch fence did its job. The engine and wheek assembly were caught, as well as a 3400 # racecar. Why do people say improve the fence? The tire flew OVER the fence.
Exactly --- when all was over, the car was on the track --- not laying in the stands. The engine and wheel assembly were caught and were laying right beside the fence. Unfortunately, one went over --- and went over so high above the fence, I don't know that any fence would have caught it. The higher you go, it seems to me the less strength a fence would have.

It was a unfortunate accident that no amount of planning can prevent. Something can and will always happen if enough time is given. How is it that they can build all these safety items something happens and all hell breaks loose. major new outlets all of a sudden jump on it and spew crap over accidents. You rarely ever hear of problems at a rally car race where the spectators are only held back by a string (sometimes) or a snow fence.

Seems to me the catch fence did its job. The engine and wheek assembly were caught, as well as a 3400 # racecar. Why do people say improve the fence? The tire flew OVER the fence.

No, it went thru the whole Larsons car created, which extended way above where his car hit.

So here's an easy hindsight safety improvement, because that's how most safety improvements work. Split the chainlink into 2 sections, each half the height of the catch fence. Perhaps Larsons car would have ripped just the lower half away, leaving the top half in place and there would be a chance to stop some of the debris that made it thru that opening.

Got a link that explains this or know any more information yourself? I'm interested because I never knew, how long have they been doing this?

You're right too, I've never seen a car fall apart like his did and I'm sure I never will again. It is amazing that he could walk away from a crash like that.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5J...Bg#v=onepage&q=how does nascar tether&f=false

There is a steel cable that loops thru the hub carrier. Obviously the wheel itself can't be cabled.

Wheels are tethered to the car? I never knew that...How do they do that?
The front upper A frames and control arms are tethered to the frame proper. The rear end is frame attatched by various components,( TRAILING ARMS, SPRINGS,SHOCKS,ETC.) but in a catastrophic failure of this magnitude, something is going to break.

No, it went thru the whole Larsons car created, which extended way above where his car hit.

So here's an easy hindsight safety improvement, because that's how most safety improvements work. Split the chainlink into 2 sections, each half the height of the catch fence. Perhaps Larsons car would have ripped just the lower half away, leaving the top half in place and there would be a chance to stop some of the debris that made it thru that opening.
FB, one of the videos clearly shows the wheel assembly flying over the fence.

I didn't see an engine in the grandstands or 2 tires. So, the fence DID do its primary function . CATCH big heavy things and impede their forward progress.

Yea, I think one went through the fence and the other flew over, plus a lot of little stuff ended up in the crowd as well. I was worried about all that hot fluid coming out of the car, I sure hope no one got hit with steam or oil..

First thing I thought of when I heard about all those people getting hurt is; "I hope some little boy or his Dad didn't get hurt badly". I was thinking back to my Dad taking me to my first race, and all the ones afterwards. Does anyone know how old that minor is?

A lot of these people were probably coming back to watch the 500 too...I know they have bigger problems right now but I hate that they are going to miss it. I'm sure they were all hyped up for it, enjoying their weekend at the track and then out of no where things get so bad....heart goes out to them. :(

I think as a racefan attending a racing event, heading into the track you're only thinking if getting drunk & possibly seeing your driver win but there has go0t to be something in the back of your mind that says today something bad could happen & you could get hit with debris & die. I know I think that everytime I go see a race live because I always sit frontstretch as close to the start finish line as possible. As a diehard racefan I accept that risk, all due respect to the fans injured today...

I didn't see an engine in the grandstands or 2 tires. So, the fence DID do its primary function . CATCH big heavy things and impede their forward progress.

Err, OK. The videos CLEARLY show the entire height of the fence ripped away, and a tire and rim (big heavy thing) going thru that hole.

Err, OK. The videos CLEARLY show the entire height of the fence ripped away, and a tire and rim (big heavy thing) going thru that hole.

The videos also CLEARLY show a big heavy car being thrown back on the track instead of killing a bunch of people.

FB, one of the videos clearly shows the wheel assembly flying over the fence.

Please tell me where to see that one, because what I saw was the tire and rim going thru the hole, lightly contacting one of the fence poles, and then landing in the crowd. I'll try to find it. The poster slowed down the part where the debris goes thru so it's easier to see.

After what went down today, I think tomorrow's race will be a horrible bore.
They may start the race a little on the conservative side but after a few laps I think it will be business as usual. But if it is a snooze fest I don't think it will be from the results of that accident.

The front upper A frames and control arms are tethered to the frame proper. The rear end is frame attatched by various components,( TRAILING ARMS, SPRINGS,SHOCKS,ETC.) but in a catastrophic failure of this magnitude, something is going to break.

uploadfromtaptalk1361718039334.jpg

Exactly.

Here's where the tether is attached to the car. As you can see in the replay and photos it wasn't just the tire but the whole assembly that was torn from the car. No matter the opinions though, we still have the same amount of NASCAR fans today as yesterday and Kyle Larson walked away.

Look at the 40 second mark and you will see the second wheel up in the stands. One wheel ended up near the engine and the catch fence. The second wheel went over the top of the fence.

The video also shows a big heavy car being thrown back on the track instead of killing a bunch of people.

So what? That doesn't help the people left unprotected after the fence did that part of it's job. This is EXACTLY how people got injured at Talladega during the Edwards crash. The support cables in the chainlink stopped the car, but the chainlink peeled back and exposed people to flying debris. Perhaps the solution is as simple as seperating the chanlink from the cables and setting them 2 feet behind them. That way, the cables stop the big stuff and protect the chainlink so it can stop most of the small stuff.

So what? That doesn't help the people left unprotected after the fence did that part of it's job. This is EXACTLY how people got injured at Talladega during the Edwards crash. The support cables in the chainlink stopped the car, but the chainlink peeled back and exposed people to flying debris. Perhaps the solution is as simple as seperating the chanlink from the cables and setting them 2 feet behind them. That way, the cables stop the big stuff and protect the chainlink so it can stop most of the small stuff.
You're obviously andengineer, go to Daytona and solve the problem. :rolleyes: I'd really like to see someone come up with a perfect catch fence that will do a perfect job no matter what happens. Jeez, why haven't they implemented your plans yet?

OMG. They did not end up in the grandstands. Let's go back ten years or so . Ned Flanders wife was killed by a flying tire that went over the fence,not THROUGH it, and the engine and wheel assembly were stopped at the walkway. Unless my TV is not working properly,for like 30 replays or so. All I,m saying is it did its job . Pretty simple to grasp. Maybe I'll just lay low for a few more months, as I see some things never change on this board.Enjoy the race, as I know I will. From the safety of a catch fence in front of my 52'. TV wouldn't want any thing coming through it, like pesky commercials, or endless observations...

Even though I think you point is valid to an extent from what I saw the tire cleared the fence proper. I don't think the fence would have stopped it even if the car wasn't crashing into it at the same time.

I just think they aren't really tall enough at the moment and don't extent far enough over the track. We need to be able to contain this stuff, I think we can all agree on that.

another video from a fan in the stands

29 seconds in, watch the slow motion and tell me what you think. It looks like the wheel goes thru the fence, not over.

It also shows that Larsons car hits right on the gate and doesn't get to slide along those support cables and lose energy like it's designed to do.

29 seconds in, watch the slow motion and tell me what you think. It looks like the wheel goes thru the fence, not over.

It also shows that Larsons car hits right on the gate and doesn't get to slide along those support cables and lose energy like it's designed to do.
Well, someone must have picked up the second tire,and somehow placed it 10 rows up. Maybe the same guy from Dealy Plaza....

Well, someone must have picked up the second tire,and somehow placed it 10 rows up. Maybe the same guy from Dealy Plaza....

OMG. I'm done with you if you can't admit you were wrong after watching that video that shows NO TIRE GOING OVER THE FENCE, as you insisted it did. :rolleyes:

FB is right. You see one tire go up into the upper deck and the other about 8 rows up. Both through the hole not over the fence.

Back
Top Bottom