Nationwide Daytona

Also I was really impressed with Pastrana and Larson. I'm curious to see how those 2 progress throughout the season.
I think the fact that pastrana's team has banned him from running any racing other than nascar has helped. His head is more in the game and he's able to concentrate on nascar and not nascar/motocross/xgames/etc etc.

I think the fact that pastrana's team has banned him from running any racing other than nascar has helped. His head is more in the game and he's able to concentrate on nascar and not nascar/motocross/xgames/etc etc.

Wasn't it his choice? From the promo/interview that they showed in the pre-race show he said that all he thinks about and dreams about now is NASCAR and that his head wasn't into the motocross/xgames anymore.

Missed the race today, had to do brakes and tires on my girlfriend's car.
Immediate head surgery is not a good sign. Prayers out to the spectators hurt today.
Plate racing isn't racing.

USA Today newspaper reported that a Denton County man was severely injured in a crash at Daytona International Speedway.
The Associated Press reports at least 30 NASCAR fans have been injured by flying debris during the accident. The crash began as the field closed in on the finish line of today's Nationwide Series race. No fatalities have been reported. A somber Tony Stewart, who won the race, skipped the traditional post-race celebration.
USA Today reported Eddie Huckaby, 53, of Krum suffered "a pretty massive cut on his leg."
The report said a three foot long piece of metal hit Huckaby. He is expected to be in the hospital for at least two days.
"He's kind of upset because he's going to miss the (Daytona 500) race tomorrow [Sunday]," said Huckaby's brother Terry. The brothers were reportedly sitting in the 11th row in the grandstands.
Terry was forced to use his belt to wrap as a tourniquet around his brother's leg because it was bleeding.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Wasn't it his choice? From the promo/interview that they showed in the pre-race show he said that all he thinks about and dreams about now is NASCAR and that his head wasn't into the motocross/xgames anymore.
I read an article during the off season on nascar.com that his contract involved a clause that he was banned from getting on a motorcycle at all during the nascar season. It kinda made me laugh.

USA Today newspaper reported that a Denton County man was severely injured in a crash at Daytona International Speedway.
The Associated Press reports at least 30 NASCAR fans have been injured by flying debris during the accident. The crash began as the field closed in on the finish line of today's Nationwide Series race. No fatalities have been reported. A somber Tony Stewart, who won the race, skipped the traditional post-race celebration.
USA Today reported Eddie Huckaby, 53, of Krum suffered "a pretty massive cut on his leg."
The report said a three foot long piece of metal hit Huckaby. He is expected to be in the hospital for at least two days.
"He's kind of upset because he's going to miss the (Daytona 500) race tomorrow [Sunday]," said Huckaby's brother Terry. The brothers were reportedly sitting in the 11th row in the grandstands.
Terry was forced to use his belt to wrap as a tourniquet around his brother's leg because it was bleeding.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

That's insane.

I normally sit up towards the last couple of rows just cause it's a better overall view but stuff like this makes me have 0 desire of sitting down near these fences.

He did pretty good today. I still can't figure out how he drives a Ford in NW but does ads for Dodge.

It did, hints the car landed in the infield, not in the stands. The motor and right front assembly did not make it past the fence. Unfortunately the left front cleared the 22 FOOT tall fence so the fence couldn't catch it. No catch fence at any racetrack is gonna keep all parts and debris from entering the stands. Whether it's 2.5 miles at Daytona or a .5 mile Martinsville.

I agree for the most part, but I do believe the seats near the flagstand at Daytona and at the same spot at Talladega (were the flagstand would be at most tracks, rather than the straightaway end) are the most dangerous seats in Nascar. Going back to Bobby Allison fence clearing ride in the 80s and at least 4 or 5 more similar wrecks on RP tracks.

I know Skinner had a spectacular flip in a truck at Charlotte near the flag, but all one has to do is count them off the frequency is incomparable, this was a classic restrictor plate crash peculiar to RP racing, near the apex of the dog leg at the flagstand.
Such moments at the other tracks that total 32 of the 36 events are rare in comparison.

I pray that everyone especially the child recovers fully.

It did, hints the car landed in the infield, not in the stands. The motor and right front assembly did not make it past the fence. Unfortunately the left front cleared the 22 FOOT tall fence so the fence couldn't catch it. No catch fence at any racetrack is gonna keep all parts and debris from entering the stands. Whether it's 2.5 miles at Daytona or a .5 mile Martinsville.
They're not going 200 mph at Martinsville.
The two causal factors to the fans being injured are simple; speed and pack racing.

hugecrash.gif

You see a wreck ahead and you hold it wide open? Please activate your brain.

Fact - If he had let off upon seeing the wreck in front of him most if not all of the injured fans would be having a pleasant evening tonight.

Fact - A lot of times drivers don't lift when going through wrecks. This is nothing new. Are you seriously trying to lay blame on him???

That's insane.

I normally sit up towards the last couple of rows just cause it's a better overall view but stuff like this makes me have 0 desire of sitting down near these fences.

I'd never sit there even before today. I think Dale Jarrett was right when he said these racetracks need to look at getting fans back away from the fence.

I don't see anything controversial about it, and after NASCAR's statement, I see nothing wrong with what they tried to do either.

First off I want to say that I'm not fully up to date but I hope that everyone is okay and what happened today was terrible. I watched the entire race and I knew it was bad when they were not showing replays. I saw a car with everything from the firewall forward missing and I knew it was going to be bad. :(

Someone mentioned something about the cross-over gate (I think its called that?) that allowed people to cross from outside the track to the end field. I don't know exactly where it is at Daytona but I did notice a pole in the fence "caught" the car stopping it almost instantly, had to be one hell of an impact.

This isn't the first time this has happened, the one that comes to mind for me was at Bristol (thankfully everyone ended up begin okay in the end):

I've been to many races and honestly I've always wondered about the fence. I figure if a freak accident happens like this maybe it was just my time. I don't put 100% trust in them is what I am getting at. Doesn't matter if it's the local dirt track, Martinsville, or a Super Speedway. Sometimes these awful things just happen, we've been really lucky in the past because multiple cars have gone into the fence with no fans getting hurt thank God. I hope that we never see anything like this happen again in my life time.

Can things be improved? I'm sure they probably can, but it ain't going to happen over night so give NASCAR some time. By the way I hate the way NASCAR abused the DMCA to remove that video, but I understand why they did it. Same reason they waited so long to show a reply of the crash. They didn't know if anyone was dead on sight. Classy move by everyone not to celebrate as well. I think they handled the situation pretty well all things considered.

Also, is there anyway they have to tie wheels to the cars to prevent them from flying away from the car? Don't they have something like that in F1 or Indy car?

I know a lot of fans were injured but I'm surprised nobody mentioned that cameraman. He was close to that gate before the accident and when the camera pans back to that spot he is gone along with the camera and there's a big hole in the fence.

I'm saying REALLY, because it's a no brainer:rolleyes:

I'm not saying the block was a smart move on his part, but it's easy to judge when you're watching from outside of the car. Maybe he thought he was clear and realized after it was too late to correct. He was trying to win and at the time he felt blocking was the only way to do it.

Normally if you mess up there it's a spin, maybe a few cars get collected up in it and someone gets lucky and finishes first. This time it just happened to set off a chain of events to ended very badly. All I'm saying is that it isn't time to point fingers, the guy probably feels terrible right now as it is.

Give it some times....lets make sure everyone that got hurt pulls through okay, that's the real issue we all should be concerned about. :)

Sorry for the ranting...I need to go to bed obviously. Nice to be back on the forum you guys are always fun to chat with. I love the debate as well! :)

It's shame that this tragic situation on the final lap occured or at the very least, the accident happened but nothing flew into the stands because yesterday's race is basically everything you could want out of a plate race. I really really hope the 500 has racing like that. Could be one of the best.

I hope every fan is gonna be okay.

Can anybody say Double Catch Fence?

If you're talking about one behind the other...

I don't think that would work to be honest. We need something a bit higher to contain flyjng tires and such. The problem is if they go higher with the current designs it'll become too weak to stop a car from coming straight through. Plus smaller stuff is going to get through no matter what you do. People still have to be able to see through it after all. :)

If you're talking about one behind the other...

I don't think that would work to be honest. We need something a bit higher to contain flyjng tires and such. The problem is if they go higher with the current designs it'll become too weak to stop a car from coming straight through. Plus smaller stuff is going to get through no matter what you do. People still have to be able to see through it after all. :)
Make them sit above it. Like Jr said.

Back
Top Bottom