NBCSN going away?

Any particular recommendations?
Save your $50 on Chromecast and instead get a YouTubeTV subscription for $60. Unlimited DVR storage and basically the same channels you would get from a satellite/cable service minus History channel. Yeah it's a monthly price but is well worth it for sports programming alone

Save your $50 on Chromecast and instead get a YouTubeTV subscription for $60. Unlimited DVR storage and basically the same channels you would get from a satellite/cable service minus History channel. Yeah it's a monthly price but is well worth it for sports programming alone

I mean we're talking about two totally different things. I recommend skipping the dentist and hiring an accountant instead.

I was addressing a question about how to get streaming content from a laptop or phone to a TV "without wire". That's what a Chromecast is built to do.

YouTube TV is a compelling cable TV alternative, and I'm sure is a fine product. Subscribing wouldn't help me get FloRacing or another online-only streaming service onto my television.

Subscribing wouldn't help me get FloRacing or another online-only streaming service onto my television.
Just add a shelf on top of the TV and set the laptop on your TV. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

I do know if you have an ipad you can "Cast" to the TV.

I've been using a Chromecast ($30-50 depending on model) to cast whatever I stream on computer or phone to my TV when needed for years. Works well for the most part.
Okay, I'm looking at Chromecast 3rd gen. but I also saw this and am wondering if this is something that would be useful if I switch to YouTube TV.
Amazon
It says it has Chromecast built in and by the time I buy the power cable for Chromecast, it's about the same price. Reviews seem mixed for this Tivo device but it seems that way for most things I look at. This stuff's way over my head, I'm at a very basic knowledge level for these things.
YouTube TV is what I'm leaning towards going to when I dump cable. It seems to have everything I really need, channel-wise. Yeah I'll miss History Channel but I'll live, for half the price of cable.

Thanks to you two for any and all help.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm looking at Chromecast 3rd gen. but I also saw this and am wondering if this is something that would be useful if I switch to YouTube TV.
Amazon
It says it has Chromecast built in and by the time I buy the power cable for Chromecast, it's about the same price. Reviews seem mixed for this Tivo device but it seems that way for most things I look at. This stuff's way over my head, I'm at a very basic knowledge level for these things.

YouTube TV is what I'm leaning towards going to when I dump cable. It seems to have everything I really need, channel-wise. Yeah I'll miss History Channel but I'll live, for half the price of cable.

Thanks to you two for any and all help.
Sports plus package has MAVTV.

Cutting cable won't matter when you have to subscribe to 10 different streaming services to be able to watch all the different stuff you're into. It's getting ridiculous.

A few years ago, everyone was asking to pay for channels a-la-carte instead of paying for bundles of channels.

Everyone is finally starting to get their wish. Except, you pay for content per media conglomerate rather than per channel.

In the next few years, I expect most media conglomerates will allow people to pay to watch live sports on their streaming services without having an existing cable subscription (as of now, you must have a cable subscription to watch sports on most streaming platforms).

I have less optimism myself. I think the TV people if possible will make us pay for as many ransoms as possible for the various content that the average person wants to watch. Supply and demand.

A few years ago, everyone was asking to pay for channels a-la-carte instead of paying for bundles of channels.

Everyone is finally starting to get their wish. Except, you pay for content per media conglomerate rather than per channel.

In the next few years, I expect most media conglomerates will allow people to pay to watch live sports on their streaming services without having an existing cable subscription (as of now, you must have a cable subscription to watch sports on most streaming platforms).

I would be fine with that business model EXCEPT, I don't want to have to pay nine different entities and and use five different methods to access the content. All I can tell you is the older I get, the less TV I watch, and all of this jumping through hoops to get content will only make me watch even less. About three months ago I signed up for the free Peacock service, and despite them having several shows I actually like, I've watched a grand total of six shows, and four of those were Lost Speedways.

Some live Supercross coverage is moving exclusively to Peacock Premium this year, and it sounds like IndyCar is preparing for all of their NBCSN races to move to Peacock in some capacity next year too.

Some live Supercross coverage is moving exclusively to Peacock Premium this year, and it sounds like IndyCar is preparing for all of their NBCSN races to move to Peacock in some capacity next year too.
I knew this move was coming.

Dammit. Now why move IndyCar just when it's trending upwards? Comcast pulls this number, so I guess it will be like the service last year with qualifying and practice sessions going to streaming services.

I have a feeling MAVTV is gonna end up picking up a lot of NASCAR coverage here soon.

Maybe after this current contract is up with Comcast? Who knows what the future holds after this.

This is ridiculous though, I hope it comes with all sports included and no other BS for the price of Amazon Prime. This streaming deal is becoming a nightmare because cable has to keep up.

I think NBCSN will be shut down before the fall myself since the Olympics are being canceled.

Maybe after this current contract is up with Comcast? Who knows what the future holds after this.

What's funny is, as little as Fox cares, I really thought NBC would pick up exclusive rights next contract. Now I'm thinking ESPN.

I'm never paying for peacock to watch any race. There are too many streaming subscription services out there right now and it's easy enough to find other means of watching without needing all these damn streaming services.

Hopefully any on Peacock will be free, since they do have free content on there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have Comcast, I havent cut the cable yet and found that I have Peacock Premium which is awesome if NASCAR gets moved to the service. Also found I have HBO Max to which is great ( apart of Comcast service somehow). I am shocked that NBC Sports Network is going away I guess I really though they did motorsports a great service by the being the one stop shop for everything. I am very nervous now as to how I am going to find IMSA, Indy Car and NASCAR if they do break away from NBC. I also am interested to see what happens with the next TV contract........ by god..... I that's CBS's Music!!

I'm never paying for peacock to watch any race. There are too many streaming subscription services out there right now and it's easy enough to find other means of watching without needing all these damn streaming services.

It's pretty bad that all these streaming services combined still don't add up to what cable costs.

Also sad for the soccer fans in this country as NBCSN was great for EPL's American Home. It's not going to be easy to watch games anymore. I hope I am wrong.

Not necessarily BS. I have YouTubeTV and get Showtime and HBO for free

I wish Peacock was offered on YouTube TV for free. But I got a sweet deal on it right now. I pre-ordered it at a discount and then it wasn't available on Roku or Samsung, Comcast is giving it to me for like $15 for six months.

I have a bunch of these and I think Netflix is the first one I'm going to cancel. $18.99/month? 🖕

I knew this move was coming.

Dammit. Now why move IndyCar just when it's trending upwards? Comcast pulls this number, so I guess it will be like the service last year with qualifying and practice sessions going to streaming services.
They need to jump ship ASAP. Word last year was they were already looking at other options for 2021 before ultimately exercising the third-year option. That original deal was signed before Penske came into play anyways. If they go back to ESPN/ABC and get a similar offer - 10 races on ABC, other races on ESPN and ESPN2, practice and qualifying on ESPN+ - that got turned down for NBC’s, I think you have to take it. Peacock races won’t hit six figures.

NASCAR’s gonna be fine. Most, if not all, races will go to USA. I would even wager their ratings will go up as USA is more widely distributed than NBCSN to begin with. NASCAR is too big to be taken off of traditional TV for now, and there’s probably language written into the contract for that.

Back
Top Bottom