New "what are you listening to thread"

While certainly not for everybody, I'm in a very Jaco Pastorius kinda place today. My favorite track of his is probably Portrait Of Tracy, #5 on this video. Tracy was his first wife and the mother of his first two kids, Mary and John IV.

For those who may not know, Jaco Pastorius was widely considered the greatest bass player that ever lived. He died in his early 30's but that didn't have anything to do with him being viewed as the G.O.A.T. He was just simply different and better than everybody else and it really wasn't even close.

There is a really good documentary about him on Netflix that I think is just titled "Jaco".

My thread! We lost so much good music! :(

Among other things, I've been listening to these two retro-rock bands lately, Purson and Blood Ceremony.

Never heard of either but you've got me hooked on Purson. That's some good stuff. I hear a lot of Sabbath influence in there. Their newest album is good, but not nearly as good as The Circle and the Blue Door.

Never heard of either but you've got me hooked on Purson. That's some good stuff. I hear a lot of Sabbath influence in there. Their newest album is good, but not nearly as good as The Circle and the Blue Door.
Nice. :)

Yep, I've been told that the Sabbath influence pretty much runs through most of the modern retro rock bands that I listen to, which is understandable. Some people dismiss them as mere copycats, but personally, I'm glad they've been bringing that sound back.

I agree on Purson. Good band. I also liked The Circle and the Blue Door better than their newest album. Honestly, I need to listen to both of those again.

Any Rise Against fans? This is definitely my favorite song of theirs and in my top five favorite all time songs. The lyrics are perfect.

Top 5 rock/metal album of all time IMO.

I was just watching the video for the song Diary Of A Madman with my son the other day. I wanted to show him Randy Rhoads guitar work on that song in particular. It is truly outstanding. My son plays a Jackson RRMG guitar. The "RR" in the model is for Randy Rhoads body style, The "MG" is for EMG active pickups. I don't have any pics handy of his, but this is a stock photo of one exactly like his.

14591-desktop.jpg

Any Rise Against fans? This is definitely my favorite song of theirs and in my top five favorite all time songs. The lyrics are perfect.

I really like Rise Against. This is still my favorite song of theirs, although I don't follow them closely so they may have something else I would like more if I heard it.

I really like Rise Against. This is still my favorite song of theirs, although I don't follow them closely so they may have something else I would like more if I heard it.

They're a good band. I don't really listen to them anymore, but they're one of those bands that doesn't really make a bad song, much like Thrice and Alter Bridge. This is probably my favorite song of theirs.

I was just watching the video for the song Diary Of A Madman with my son the other day. I wanted to show him Randy Rhoads guitar work on that song in particular. It is truly outstanding. My son plays a Jackson RRMG guitar. The "RR" in the model is for Randy Rhoads body style, The "MG" is for EMG active pickups. I don't have any pics handy of his, but this is a stock photo of one exactly like his.

14591-desktop.jpg
Nice looking guitar. Jacksons play as good as any. I always wanted a RR model, but they're kinda terrible for sitting down and playing. Never could get along with active electronics. They always sounded fabricated to me, if that makes any sense. Some people swear by them. Not knocking them, just not for me.

Such a perfect combination of lyrics and stories. Makes LA sound so great, but I"m sure there are many cities that can have this effect on you.

Over the last few days, when I haven't been doing the girly alt/indie rock thing, I've been listening to Immortal. I was never really a huge fan of theirs when I was actively listening to black metal, because I was more serious (and pretentious) about it back then and felt like they were too campy and goofy at times. Now that I'm over that pretentiousness, I like them a lot more.

They've since split up and are each doing their own thing now, but their last album, All Shall Fall, is really good. It's more like power metal with harsh vocals than black metal to me, and I'm totally good with that. The first song is about as "blackened" as this album gets. I love the video. Ha ha.

Most people know these guys because of their song called "Face Down," but this one right here is probably my favorite from them.

Here's a thing I found. These guys are pretty good if you like Sabbath. WV band. Awesome!

[yt]

Good stuff, @be9ak7ts16. That girly alt/indie rock is pretty much where I've been musically over the last several weeks, and this year in general.

I noticed that The Breeders are (or at least were at some point) on the same label as Alvvays and Daughter. Daughter is by far the mellowest of those three bands, but I like their moody, melancholy style. The vocalist sounds a little like Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine.

I'm personally not as big of a fan of their new stuff like I was their older music, but they look like they're having fun with this video and that's all that matters. Not to mention, Hayley is still adorable.

Back
Top Bottom