Penske to Expand to 3rd Team in 2018

The Wood Bros 21 will be sponsored by Menards for 22 races. No sponsorship mentioned for the 12. But this...

“We have been working on making this a reality, and 2018 is the right opportunity to make this move and return our organization to a three-car team. Having a company like Menards, and a businessman like John Menard, be a part of this transition is also fantastic for our organization. The benefits of having three full-time teams under our roof, along with the continued technical partnership with the Wood Bothers, will help us remain competitive in the ever-changing NASCAR landscape.”

It sounds to me that Menard's money might be hauling part of the freight for Blaney's 12 car. Or maybe the 2 car, with Brad's upper midwest roots. I had predicted that a few months ago. Time will tell all, I guess.

I agree with this....i think that Menards will split the 21 with motorcraft and probably have somewhere around 12 races on the 12.

Wonder who Richard is going to get to pilot that 27 ( thinks it will be 33 in future) car. If it wasnt just all about the grand kids he'd contact Kasey Kahne, Kenseth or see what Aric's situation is at the 43. But its probably/most likely will be Ty. A team of Newman, Dillon and Kahne would be a nice little team there.

Hope Blaney will be able to keep his I dont know, his coolness at Penske. They are a bit too button down over there, Blaney I IMO is the closest guy to remind me of Jr in his early days in the 8 car just a cool dude who raced and knew how to have a good time.

Wonder who Richard is going to get to pilot that 27 ( thinks it will be 33 in future) car. If it wasnt just all about the grand kids he'd contact Kasey Kahne, Kenseth or see what Aric's situation is at the 43. But its probably/most likely will be Ty. A team of Newman, Dillon and Kahne would be a nice little team there.
I know I wouldn't put the fate of my racing franchise going with a couple of paw paws. I know Childress stuff isn't the fastest, but Newman has overdriven his stuff and got some good finishes, I haven't seen either Dillion do very much of that, and the youngest one is even slower. Even Kahne looks better than that choice for Menard's Xride.

Big fan of Ryan Blaney. He's a future champ and a cool kid. Reminds of a young Junior in terms of personality. This is a huge opportunity for him. Team Penske is building quite the powerhouse.

That said, I'll miss Blaney in the 21. He and the Wood Brothers were a really good fit. But we all knew it was a matter of time before the Captain brought him in house.

I've got my eye on Menard in the 21. Not a bad consolation. They'll have funding they haven't had in a long time. Paul is a solid driver. They'll do better than most think they will.

I like it, Blaney in the 12 will be cool. Interested to see who sponsors him. I like Menard in the 21 as well. Think he's a decent driver and will compete in that car.

Not sure about RCR though, don't really see them rushing Ty over just yet. Wouldn't be opposed to that though with the car renumbered to 33. Another option could be Daniel Hemric but he probably needs another year in Xfinity. Either way I think the future of RCR is Hemric and the Dillon boys.

Hope Blaney will be able to keep his I dont know, his coolness at Penske. They are a bit too button down over there, Blaney I IMO is the closest guy to remind me of Jr in his early days in the 8 car just a cool dude who raced and knew how to have a good time.

He's gonna have to get rid of the mullet I'm sure. He's said Roger has already gave him **** lol

On his podcast today, he was talking about all these triathletes needing IV's after gnarly races... he's like "that's strange, I don't ride bikes and I drink too much and I've never had that issue". Had me dying

He's gonna have to get rid of the mullet I'm sure. He's said Roger has already gave him sh!t lol

On his podcast today, he was talking about all these triathletes needing IV's after gnarly races... he's like "that's strange, I don't ride bikes and I drink too much and I've never had that issue". Had me dying
like I said just seems like an awesome dude.

Why all the comparisons of Blaney to young Jr.? I don't see it. Blaney is humble and quiet. Jr. ran his mouth a lot early in his career.

Why all the comparisons of Blaney to young Jr.? I don't see it. Blaney is humble and quiet. Jr. ran his mouth a lot early in his career.
I dont remember Jr running his mouth at all early in his career. He just seemed like he raised hell of the track, drank alot of beer with his friends and enjoyed having a good time.

I'd love to see what Kenseth can do to bring back RCR back up the latter before bringing in Hemric.

Well interesting, but a great move for Blaney, and interesting move for Menards to WBR, silly season is in full swing for sure.

Paul knew as soon as Ty and Austin came through, it was a done deal.

I'll say, I would have love to see Newman in the 21. Newman reunited with Penske, it would have really been cool to see that.

Menard is going to do well with Wood Brothers and bring in funding that they have not had before, very interesting situation.

He's gonna have to get rid of the mullet I'm sure. He's said Roger has already gave him sh!t lol

Rusty had the mullet working
39ef153d3ccc05f87e59eefb37e541ab--year--miller-lite.jpg

Feel like Menard will be in the 21 until Chase Briscoe is ready for Cup. Hopefully they run the 12 in Xfinity full time next year for him with Joey, Brad, Ryan, Paul, and Sam Hornish running the 22.
They'll want to bring up Austin Cindric at some point too

He is only 18, but dad is team President and they may rush him up

Cindric is talented as well. He's been competitive in about everything, I remember watching him in Global RallyCross Lites. Quite impressive results for one full season.

Just Briscoe is catching on quicker.

Cindric is talented as well. He's been competitive in about everything, I remember watching him in Global RallyCross Lites. Quite impressive results for one full season.

Just Briscoe is catching on quicker.
Agreed he's been on the brink of victory in NCWTS and dominated ARCA last year to win the championship

Kez got ****faced on national TV after he won his championship with no apparent ramifications. I think his chances are good....

Blaney should tear it up in that Penske car next season, but I can't help but feel bad for the Wood Bros. I liked that 21 car being a major contender again.

I dont remember Jr running his mouth at all early in his career. He just seemed like he raised hell of the track, drank alot of beer with his friends and enjoyed having a good time.
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I remember Jr. humbling himself quite a bit after Sr. died. Jr. used to complain about other drivers a lot.

I like it.

.. but what else is new?

I'm happy for Blaney, and looking forward to seeing what Team Penske can do with another car in the field.

I like it.

.. but what else is new?

I'm happy for Blaney, and looking forward to seeing what Team Penske can do with another car in the field.
What else is new? I want to see what Menard can do in a different car, another Ford car added to the mix, will the Woods brother run an Xfinity car in the future? And we know old man Menard will bring long term sponsorship for the Woods Brothers. I think Blaney is a good fit with Kez and Logano. Those two work together and I think Blaney will join in also. Could be the start of a powerhouse.

Meh... was hoping for Wallace in the 21. Maybe they give Bubba the 12 in XNS
This. Somewhere last week I predicted Blaney to the #12 and Wallace to the #21. I figured Ford would find a home for him, and the #21 looked like the logical place. Maybe he'll wind up in Menard's old ride; you can bet Kenseth won't consider it.

EDIT: what am I thinking? Watch Richard bring Ty over to the #29 / #33.

Back
Top Bottom