Pocono Pre-race Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The Tricky Triangle or as some like to call it Poc O no. Yes, we're heading to everyone's favorite track for not one but two races at this venue over the next eight weeks. The Party in the Poconos 400. The name's pretty cool anyhow.

Times are local to the Track
Friday, June 7
12:00 - 1:30pm NSCS Practice
3:40 pm NSCS Qualifying​
Saturday, June 8
10:00 - 10:50 am NSCS Practice
11:40 am - 12:40 pm NCSC Final Practice
1:00 pm ARCA Race​
Sunday, June 9
12:00 pm Pre-Race Festivities Begin
12:00 pm NSCS Driver Introductions
1:00 pm NSCS Race - Party in the Poconos 400​

One of the locals to the Pocono region still protesting Stephen Leicht's visit from last year.

A8CFs3OCQAAZihl.jpg:large

courtesy @nascarasm

New member here since NOL absolutley went to **** and there are no forums anymore. I need some help and advice pretty fast, as decision on ticket purchases need to happen asap. I need advice on camping. From what I have heard, infield is a blast and I like to party. But from what I read online....infield at Pocono sucks? You have to pay to leave, you need to bring everything with you for the weekend (I have honda accord) No fires on ground and no stores to purchase beer/soda/food? And now I see the forecast is fro storms fri, sat and showers on sun??

No advice out there on funnest and best places to camp? I was really hoping this might move along a little faster than this....LoL

I guess I just assumed there would be....crud! Any advice on where to find this info?

I guess I just assumed there would be....crud! Any advice on where to find this info?
I've camped there several times but have never been there to party as that is one of the races that we've always taken the kids. Go to the forums @ nascarcamping.com for your answer to you questions. They also have a facebook link that will get you your answers quickly. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks DPK, with the weather report, I might wait til August....will see what tomorrow and Thur look like....seems anymore the weather is stranger and stranger with less predictability

Looks like the nascar camping forums deon't get much traffic these days, at least not the Pocono section with most of the posts being from 2007-2011. I wonder why Nascar.com did away with their forums? I am having a hard time finding info anywhere on camping for Pocono race...I think I have enough info to NOT camp at Pocono's infield.....but would like to know about funnest places to camp outside the track near by.
Thanks again and appreciate any further info anyone might be able to give me

One thing I like about having the top three series at three different tracks this weekend is that there is only one notable Cup driver racing in either Trucks or Nationwide. It will be good to see an unfamiliar face win at least one race.

New member here since NOL absolutley went to **** and there are no forums anymore. ..
Welcome to our forum Izaana , when all else fails , we're here for ya . Hope you have a great time at Pocono , great area . When I was there years ago , there was a little bar accross the street where I got to have a drink with Rusty Wallace's original car owner .

Looking through the list of YouTube videos there are a bunch of drivers that could show us how NOT to get around that track. There have been some nasty wrecks there over the years.

It's a good thing they finally paved over the grass and put up catch fences. Some of the Long Pond Straight wrecks (notably Sadler, Park, and Kahne) were scary.

It's a good thing they finally paved over the grass and put up catch fences. Some of the Long Pond Straight wrecks (notably Sadler, Park, and Kahne) were scary.
Yeah the camera missed probably the worst wreck when Sadler's car exploded when it stopped dead, but Steve Park's /Jr's wreck is a scary close second.

Pocono, would actually be a great place for the cable camera. I wonder if TNT will have something like that.

I suspect you are joking, but ABC had one of those cable cams at the Indy 500 set up along the long straight frontstrech and they zoomed it along as the cars came down the front stretch at speed, kind of like a poor man's helicopter shot. Would work at a track with straight edges like Pocono.

Yeah the camera missed probably the worst wreck when Sadler's car exploded when it stopped dead, but Steve Park's /Jr's wreck is a scary close second.

I still can't believe ESPN missed most of what is (I think) the hardest recorded hit in NASCAR. And Steve Park could never catch a break.

I still can't believe ESPN missed most of what is (I think) the hardest recorded hit in NASCAR. And Steve Park could never catch a break.

I've said this here before, but I'll say it again, with all the talk about concussions in sports, I think Steve Park has something seriously wrong with him. He has never talked right since that accident at Darlington and his driving skill dropped off dramatically. I'm not a doctor, but you have to wonder if he was misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed or something because it seemed like he never recovered from those bad accidents he had.

I've said this here before, but I'll say it again, with all the talk about concussions in sports, I think Steve Park has something seriously wrong with him. He has never talked right since that accident at Darlington and his driving skill dropped off dramatically. I'm not a doctor, but you have to wonder if he was misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed or something because it seemed like he never recovered from those bad accidents he had.

You don't have to be an M.D. to realize the change in him. I though the same about Ernie Irvan.

I'm certain he never fully recovered from his injuries. It's sad that it's taken until just last fall with Jr. to raise concussion awareness in NASCAR.

You would never think that Pocono would have a lot of action or close racing, but if I remember correctly, both of last years races here were very good. Of course that means nothing for this year. It seems this year that all the tracks that are known for their great racing(Darlington, Bristol) are relatively dull, and the tracks that normally are dull have provided awesome races (California, Kansas).

Ah, Pocono. A combination of great racing and snooze-fest. It truly tests the patience and devotion of the NASCAR fan.

I hear that track officials cut a small hole in the fence and have spent the last year feeding small critters on the Long Pond section to liven things up this year. They also placed large corn hole units outside turn 3 so fans can bet on which driver wins the 'Ground Hog in the corn hole' competition.

Descriptive Forecast
Friday
chancetstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers. High of 70F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the South in the afternoon. Chance of rain 90% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 in. possible.
Friday Night
nt_chancetstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers. Fog overnight. Low of 54F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

Hourly Forecast6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point 55 | 55 65 | 62 69 | 62 56 | 56
Wind 6 mph East 8 mph West 8 mph East 4 mph ENE
Humidity 100% 86% 80% 100%
Chance of Precip. 70% 80% 90% 10%
Cloud Cover 100% 100% 98% 100%
Conditions Rain Showers Chance of a Thunderstorm Chance of a Thunderstorm Fog
Sunrise & Sunset
5:29 AM
8:32 PM

Descriptive Forecast
Saturday
chancetstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of rain, then a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon. High of 73F. Winds from the SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.3 in. possible.
Saturday Night
nt_chancetstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the evening, then partly cloudy. Fog overnight. Low of 50F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

Temp. | Dew Point 56 | 56 67 | 61 71 | 65 57 | 57
Wind 3 mph ESE 5 mph ESE 6 mph South 4 mph South
Humidity 100% 83% 83% 100%
Chance of Precip. 10% 30% 30% 30%
Cloud Cover 100% 100% 100% 50%
Conditions Fog Chance of Rain Chance of a Thunderstorm Chance of a Thunderstorm
Sunrise & Sunset
8:32 PM

Descriptive Forecast
Sunday
mostlycloudy.gif
Overcast. Fog early. High of 79F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night
nt_mostlycloudy.gif
Overcast. Low of 59F. Winds less than 5 mph.

Temp. | Dew Point 54 | 54 73 | 58 71 | 58 62 | 59
Wind 3 mph NW 5 mph NW 6 mph WSW 4 mph SW
Humidity 99% 60% 64% 87%
Chance of Precip. 10% 0% 0% 0%
Cloud Cover 51% 97% 99% 92%
Conditions Fog Overcast Overcast Overcast
Sunrise & Sunset
8:33 PM

Party in the Poconos 400
Sunday, June 09, 2013