Pocono Pre-race Race Thread

It's nice to have minute by minute weather updates. Thanks Johali. :)
I didn't see a :sarcasm: so I liked it, never can tell about you. :D Besides weather and odds seems to have been my little corner of the forum for the past year or so.

I didn't see a :sarcasm: so I liked it, never can tell about you. :D Besides weather and odds seems to have been my little corner of the forum for the past year or so.

And I thought you caught the secret message.

->Lets see who notices the days.<-

Texas Trucks Friday DP is it okay to put Trucks & Nationwide weather at different tracks on here since we don't have separate pre race threads?

Descriptive Forecast
Friday
partlycloudy.gif
Partly cloudy. High of 86F. Winds from the North at 10 to 15 mph.
Friday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif
Partly cloudy in the evening, then clear. Low of 66F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 15 mph.

Hourly Forecast6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point 69 | 63 80 | 61 82 | 58 69 | 59
Wind 8 mph NW 12 mph NNE 10 mph North 4 mph ENE
Humidity 79% 51% 42% 69%
Chance of Precip. 10% 10% 10% 0%
Cloud Cover 47% 43% 29% 38%
Conditions Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy
Sunrise & Sunset
6:20 AM
8:35 PM

Nationwide at Iowa Speedway

Saturday
mostlycloudy.gif
Overcast. High of 72F. Winds from the SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night
nt_chancetstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain. Fog overnight. Low of 55F. Winds from the SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.8 in. possible.

Hourly Forecast6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point 56 | 53 66 | 59 68 | 63 61 | 61
Wind 4 mph South 9 mph SSE 7 mph South 9 mph SSE
Humidity 89% 79% 82% 100%
Chance of Precip. 0% 0% 10% 40%
Cloud Cover 20% 99% 99% 100%
Conditions Clear Overcast Overcast Chance of a Thunderstorm
Sunrise & Sunset
5:37 AM
8:45 Pm

Texas Trucks Friday DP is it okay to put Trucks & Nationwide weather at different tracks on here since we don't have separate pre race threads?
I don't have any problem with it. There are no rules. I only started creating these prerace race threads to start talking about the next weeks races. Anything can go into it talking about the upcoming races.

I don't have any problem with it. There are no rules. I only started creating these prerace race threads to start talking about the next weeks races. Anything can go into it talking about the upcoming races.
Had to check, didn't want papa bear smacking me one upside the head. :D

Track facts for Pocono Raceway:

• Number of previous races: 70.
  • First Sprint Cup race: August 4, 1974, won by Richard Petty.
  • Last Sprint Cup race: August 5, 2012, won by Jeff Gordon.
  • Won from pole: 14, last time by Joey Logano in 2012.
  • Won from top-5 starting position: 43 times in 70 races (61%).
  • Won from top-10 starting position: 49 times (70%).
  • Won from 21st or worse starting position: 5 times (7%).
  • Worst starting spot for race winner: 29th, by Carl Edwards in 2005.
  • Most laps led: 175, by Kurt Busch in 2007.
  • Fewest laps led by a race winner: 4, by Bobby Labonte in 2001.
  • Track records:
    • Fastest race: 145.384 mph by Jeff Gordon in 2011.
    • Fastest qualifying speed: 179.598 mph by Joey Logano in 2012.
    • Most lead changes: 56 in 1979.
    • Closest finish: Tim Richmond's .05 second margin over Ricky Rudd in 1986.
    • Most caution flags: 13 in 1990 and 2005.
  • From 2008-2012 a typical Pocono race had 19.3 lead changes, 6.4 cautions for 27.0 laps, and an average green-flag run of 21.5 laps.

It looks like the humidity is going to be brutal for the teams and the fans. Weekends like that makes me glad that I will be at home watching it on tv.

Lets hope TV technology never gets to the point where it transfers DW's hot air into our living rooms.

Only one cup driver on the list! Sadly, it's Mr Logano. (nothing against Joey, it's just I would rather see a NW regular win and Joey is gooooood in NW).

Also, who's Drew Harring?

Only one cup driver on the list! Sadly, it's Mr Logano. (nothing against Joey, it's just I would rather see a NW regular win and Joey is gooooood in NW).

Also, who's Drew Harring?
If Logano wins..or not, we can dog pile him either way. Drew Harring on the other hand is pretty much a nobody, might be some money involved? Carl Long is back, he must have scraped up the entry/penalty fee, Young Swindell is back, he is running pretty well, and I think this is Max Pappas's first start in N'wide this year with Manards for a sponsor. not to mention all of the usual x pro's racing full time. It should be one of the more interesting N'wide races. Iowa is a really good track IMO.

Top 10 Driver Rating at Pocono:
#11-Denny Hamlin............................ 115.1 (4 wins)
#48-Jimmie Johnson........................ 107.6 (2)
#78-Kurt Busch................................ 103.7 (2)
#24-Jeff Gordon.............................. 100.9 (6)
#14-Tony Stewart............................... 98.6 (2)
#99-Carl Edwards.............................. 97.4 (2)
#39-Ryan Newman............................. 95.4 (1)
#55-Mark Martin................................. 94.4
#5-Kasey Kahne.............................. 91.4 (1)
#20-Matt Kenseth.............................. 90.7

whew, if Danny who is 145 points out of 10th which is where he needs to be without any wins can do that, they will be talking about that for years. He has 13 races left to do it. He would have to win at least one race to get a wild card, but even then he is 130 points away from 12th. I think his DNF last week killed his chances, but there is still a really small possibility left.

It would be disappointing if he did. Nothing against Denny, but I'd hate to see anyone make the Chase when they didn't run all the races.

I think it would be cool. The hero coming back from injury to win the day!

Those JGR boys sure have some people worried.
It's actually not the "JGR boys" because as I've pointed out earlier...between the three of them they only have 1 championship and ill say it again...their "best wheel man" couldn't even make the chase last year!
Worried NO...nauseous YES!

So how will they set the field if there is no practice or qualifying? Points?

So how will they set the field if there is no practice or qualifying? Points?
I'm pretty sure that if qualifying gets rained out and they've had no practice then they set the field by owners points. If they get a practice in then they will use that practice speed to set the field. In any case there were only 43 cars on the entry list so they'll all make the starting field.

If I'm wrong on this then I'm soon to be corrected.

Back
Top Bottom