Pocono Pre-race Race Thread

I'm pretty sure that if qualifying gets rained out and they've had no practice then they set the field by owners points. If they get a practice in then they will use that practice speed to set the field. In any case there were only 43 cars on the entry list so they'll all make the starting field.

If I'm wrong on this then I'm soon to be corrected.
You are correct! I think...

Descriptive Forecast
Friday
rain.gif
Overcast with rain. Fog early. High of 68F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 100% with rainfall amounts near 0.6 in. possible.
Friday Night
nt_rain.gif
Overcast with rain. Fog overnight. Low of 55F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the North after midnight. Chance of rain 90% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

Hourly Forecast6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point 60 | 58 59 | 59 67 | 60 55 | 55
Wind 8 mph SE 8 mph ESE 9 mph East 8 mph NE
Humidity 94% 99% 79% 100%
Chance of Precip. 100% 100% 100% 90%
Cloud Cover 100% 100% 100% 100%
Conditions Rain Rain Rain Rain
Sunrise & Sunset
5:29 AM
8:32 PM

Descriptive Forecast
Saturday
tstorms.gif
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain, then thunderstorms and a chance of rain in the afternoon. High of 75F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Saturday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif
Partly cloudy with a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 52F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Temp. | Dew Point 56 | 56 69 | 58 73 | 57 56 | 56
Wind 9 mph NNW 8 mph WNW 7 mph West 4 mph WNW
Humidity 100% 68% 56% 97%
Chance of Precip. 90% 50% 50% 20%
Cloud Cover 100% 82% 59% 43%
Conditions Rain Chance of Rain Thunderstorm Chance of Rain
Sunrise & Sunset
8:32 PM

Descriptive Forecast
Sunday
partlycloudy.gif
Partly cloudy with a chance of rain, then thunderstorms and rain showers in the afternoon. High of 79F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Sunday Night
nt_chancetstorms.gif
Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain. Fog overnight. Low of 59F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Temp. | Dew Point 55 | 54 74 | 57 75 | 62 59 | 59
Wind 2 mph WNW 6 mph West 7 mph SSW 4 mph SSE
Humidity 96% 55% 63% 100%
Chance of Precip. 10% 20% 20% 40%
Cloud Cover 47% 46% 46% 88%
Conditions Fog Chance of Rain Thunderstorm Chance of a Thunderstorm
Sunrise & Sunset
8:33 PM

Well no qualifying or pratice hurts Denny's chances at a win this week.. The only reason I said there is a shot is he's good at almost every track left.. He probably only needs 2 wins and be in the top 20 to get in the way the top 5 will swallow up wins..

Holy cow, they drug it up there. I didn't think they would have it there. this is good! Thanks for the pic D.P.

Lets see, green no lap cars on a fresh washed track Sunday= MAHEM, Yippee Ki- Yay, I like it, don't like my fantasy chances though. :D

I think the Air Titan was overhyped.

I thought it would do this!

nascar-articleLarge.jpg

I thought it would dry the track in one pass. Few weeks ago it took a few more than that.

@nascarcasm
AirTitan is a revolutionary new piece of track technology that when deployed, apparently makes it rain harder.

You have been working too much bread crumbs. :biggrin: Joey hasn't been represented since you have been gone a lot of the time.
I know right summer comes around and I start workin 6 days a week. I try to get a few in here and there though.. come august ish I'll be back in full force. Just in time to celebrate Joeys first chase berth. Quite the hot streak lately.. I smell a win coming soon! :)

Toyota has said they are dialing back their engines for Sundays race. Guess they are tired of them blowing up. Should be interesting to see how they stack up "dialed back".

Toyota has said they are dialing back their engines for Sundays race. Guess they are tired of them blowing up. Should be interesting to see how they stack up "dialed back".

It's still pretty cool that they have an engine they can 'dial back' , most of the other drivers would take a chance that they could make it last , I'll bet . I'm guessin they are working on making it more durable so they can max it out again.

It's still pretty cool that they have an engine they can 'dial back' , most of the other drivers would take a chance that they could make it last , I'll bet . I'm guessin they are working on making it more durable so they can max it out again.

JGR has done okay at Pocono with the exception of Busch loosing an engine last spring. They even managed to get Kez .5 a win (with the help of a front bumper) but ultimately they have zero chance of winning a race if they're in the garage - obviously.

Interesting how this has become a catch 22 for Gibbs. Their advantage is their disadvantage and their disadvantage is their advantage.

It would be disappointing if he did. Nothing against Denny, but I'd hate to see anyone make the Chase when they didn't run all the races.

I think it would be cool. The hero coming back from injury to win the day!

I think it would be pretty cool too.

But if Hamlin makes the Chase and then goes on to win the championship, any chance that there will be a storm of protest (because of the number of races that he missed) that somehow causes the demise of the Chase format ?

here's hoping . . .

But if Hamlin makes the Chase and then goes on to win the championship, any chance that there will be a storm of protest (because of the number of races that he missed) that somehow causes the demise of the Chase format ?

here's hoping . . .

Because he's not Kyle , nobody would notice .:D

here's hoping . . .
What's does the rule book say? It should be based on the amount of points, not the amount of races.

Unless Gibbs finds a "reliable advantage" I don't think any of them will be a threat. Are they talented? Yes they are! Are they talented enough? Not in my eyes! Even with the fastest cars they just aren't there.

If Hamlin makes the Chase and then goes on to win the championship, any chance that there will be a storm of protest (because of the number of races that he missed) that somehow causes the demise of the Chase format ?

here's hoping . . .

What's does the rule book say? It should be based on the amount of points, not the amount of races.

It is based on points and that's the point of the argument.

If, after missing races, Hamlin somehow wins the championship because of the nature of the Chase format, will there be an uproar about how screwed up the Chase is ?

If JJ would have won the race last week, he would have had a max points day, 48. that would have put him almost out of reach with the lead he would have had. Yeah some of the Gibbs cars will be in the chase, but the fat lady is tuning up as far as winning the race to the chase.

It is based on points and that's the point of the argument.

If, after missing races, Hamlin somehow wins the championship because of the nature of the Chase format, will there be an uproar about how screwed up the Chase is ?
I shouldn't have used a question mark because I already knew the answer, but basically I was saying that it should only have to do with points and not the amount of races. I really don't think it will become an issue though.

The Toyota's were either dogging it in practice or they are down on power. Only one in the top ten was Kyle Bush. I personally don't think they dialed it down, speed is addictive, I think they are trying to save their hand grenades for the race.

This is the finish order that I wouldn't mind seeing tomorrow.
Kurt Busch
Dale Jr
Tony Stewart
Kevin Harvick
Kyle Busch
Jimmie J

Is anybody noticing the difference in practice? they are all B.S.ing and nobody is saying anything technical about the setups, nothing on race scuttlebutt at the track. Gearing, shift points, no tire info?

The Toyota's were either dogging it in practice or they are down on power. Only one in the top ten was Kyle Bush. I personally don't think they dialed it down, speed is addictive, I think they are trying to save their hand grenades for the race.
I agree that they are sandbagging. The field is already set and they did not have to use up what little reliability they do have on practice or qualifying, so in my opinion they will still be using their time bombs this week. If they are going to "dial down" it will be next week.

if we were watching with D.W. announcing, he would have a camera shot and telemetry to see what everybody is doing, where they are shifting and how high they are turning the motor. nothing from this bunch but stats they are reading.

this is freaking ridiculous, top 8 places in practice, 7 chevy's and a Ford, second practice is almost over, and they finally raise the question about Toyota? Hell the two top stories going in to this race are Toyota, and Ford. Nothing, nobody did any research. They just showed up from the golf course I guess...time to go to work..where is my stat book.:) damn, I am starting to sound like Andy. Heeeelp!

I have been under a rock I guess. I didnt know they were shifting again and Pocono. Makes for better racing and more attrition which I like. I like them sitting on time bombs to see who can build the best motors.

Back
Top Bottom