Post 2022 Gen 7 Car Upgrades

New technical center houses NASCAR as well....on the Ex Con Campus....Interesting.....Seems as though Mr. H has Chevy under his thumb....
And this is news? Dude has won has won 14 championships for them. I think he's earned that....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I don't care about any of these annual tweaks nobody asked for without the car being safe, GET SAFE with the car, that should be top priority.

What are they actually doing about it?

Just to recap some of the changes announced Oct. 2022
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The changes to the Next Gen car should create a better crumple zone behind the driver so that they absorb less force in rear impacts, which has been the case in several crashes in 2022 due to the rigidness of the Next Gen car's current rear bumper structure and supports. The changes are as follows:

• New rear bumper struts with a new material thickness of 0.080 inches, which will allow them to crumple better.
  • Longitudinal bars in the upper part of the rear clip are being removed, while the lower rails are being changed from relatively straight to angled compound mitered tubes.
  • Outer diagonal tubes near the top of the center section of the chassis will now feature a trigger on the inboard side as opposed to two existing inner diagonal support bars. Outer diagonal tubes on the bottom of the chassis are being replaced by 1.75 inch diameter tubes with an 0.65 inch wall and triggers. Inner diagonal tubes at the bottom of the chassis will be reduced to one inch in diameter with a 0.065 inch wall without triggers.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Full article link:

Just to recap some of the changes announced Oct. 2022
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The changes to the Next Gen car should create a better crumple zone behind the driver so that they absorb less force in rear impacts, which has been the case in several crashes in 2022 due to the rigidness of the Next Gen car's current rear bumper structure and supports. The changes are as follows:

• New rear bumper struts with a new material thickness of 0.080 inches, which will allow them to crumple better.
  • Longitudinal bars in the upper part of the rear clip are being removed, while the lower rails are being changed from relatively straight to angled compound mitered tubes.
  • Outer diagonal tubes near the top of the center section of the chassis will now feature a trigger on the inboard side as opposed to two existing inner diagonal support bars. Outer diagonal tubes on the bottom of the chassis are being replaced by 1.75 inch diameter tubes with an 0.65 inch wall and triggers. Inner diagonal tubes at the bottom of the chassis will be reduced to one inch in diameter with a 0.065 inch wall without triggers.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Full article link:

Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear.

I think NASCAR is protecting Goodyear. They don't seem comfortable bringing a soft tire to the track, so they bring these rock hard hockey pucks to avoid the embarrassment of constant tire failures. That is a HUGE factor IMO.

I think this new car has a lot of potential, and NASCAR seems to have already fixed what was by far their biggest on-track issue for many years, which was the quality of racing at the intermediates. Hell, the World 600 this year was one of the best races I have seen in a decade or two. I just think it's ironic how some of us talk about wanting improvements and get labeled as death bedders or cloud yellers, but as soon as NASCAR makes changes the sunshine pumpers will talk about how brilliant they are for fixing what wasn't even an issue in their eyes.

Aside from the squaring up of the car with less sideforce, I think the rack & pinion steering had a lot to do with the improvement of the Intermediates because we saw driver’s making mistakes getting over the edge and unable to save it, the challenge to drive the car returned which both fans and drivers enjoy, towards the end of the season it became a little more obvious that they are still a little under-powered. NASCAR seems rather staunch on keeping straightaway speeds low, but I'd like to see them add some HP in to combat the amount of grip this car makes. The Coca-Cola 600 this year was awesome, I might need to re-watch that puppy.

Aside from the squaring up of the car with less sideforce, I think the rack & pinion steering had a lot to do with the improvement of the Intermediates because we saw driver’s making mistakes getting over the edge and unable to save it, the challenge to drive the car returned which both fans and drivers enjoy, towards the end of the season it became a little more obvious that they are still a little under-powered. NASCAR seems rather staunch on keeping straightaway speeds low, but I'd like to see them add some HP in to combat the amount of grip this car makes. The Coca-Cola 600 this year was awesome, I might need to re-watch that puppy.
The challenge to drive is a slippery slope to me. Yeah I want to see the cars hard to drive, but I want to see drivers ability to save them. Several occasions it seemed like the car hooked and it was over with.

The challenge to drive is a slippery slope to me. Yeah I want to see the cars hard to drive, but I want to see drivers ability to save them. Several occasions it seemed like the car hooked and it was over with.
I recall that became less frequent as the drivers became more familiar with the car.

Freaking awesome. That's a good one man.....Better than a vet for a dead horse.
New technical center houses NASCAR as well....on the Ex Con Campus....Interesting.....Seems as though Mr. H has Chevy under his thumb....
Perhaps one of the rewards of staying totally loyal to the same manufacturer for almost 40 years. Plus, HMS is in an excellent location logistics wise and has space on their campus. If RCR was in Charlotte instead of Winston Salem, maybe it would have been put there. It also doesn't hurt that as far as Indycar goes, Penske is nearby, and for Sportscars, Action Express is nearby.

Perhaps one of the rewards of staying totally loyal to the same manufacturer for almost 40 years. Plus, HMS is in an excellent location logistics wise and has space on their campus. If RCR was in Charlotte instead of Winston Salem, maybe it would have been put there. It also doesn't hurt that as far as Indycar goes, Penske is nearby, and for Sportscars, Action Express is nearby.

Uh oh, we're getting off topic again, God forbid we discuss anything that isn't directly related to the thread title without the mods deleting it :wacko:

Don't you apply logic to this argument!

100% serious when I say that I absolutely respect Mr. H's manufacturer loyalty....

They have been racing in the rain on short tracks in Europe for years. The ratings aren't that bad, but nothing to write home about. The crowds aren't that large. My guess is for entertainment, something new.

They have been racing in the rain on short tracks in Europe for years. The ratings aren't that bad, but nothing to write home about. The crowds aren't that large. My guess is for entertainment, something new.
Mainly I think TV doesn't care for the extra 2 hours or so from a rain delay interfering with their other programming.

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_120422601.jpg
    IMG_20230119_120422601.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
Not to worry....I always find something to bitch about. I mean, I have the whole Chevy LeMans thing if nothing else.
You mean Pontiac,The one Bobby Allison built? You know he did that completely on his own, even took NASCAR by surprise. It was a thing of beauty.

Point #2 in the bigger NBC Article. Hopefully they can figure out some things to improve short track package this year.

Point #2 in the bigger NBC Article. Hopefully they can figure out some things to improve short track package this year.

Nice to see some of what was learned for Le Mans will apply to the touring series.

SRX used mufflers when they raced at the fairgrounds and I think without telling them not many people would have known.

I do have a lot of hope for this car. It has so many things that can be tuned

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom