Pre-race: 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500

What did I miss?

Trashed Dixon's run. Contrasted by the others who were saying what a great job he did with his run.

And hey, he's second so how bad was it really? Paul Tracy just likes to think he knows better. That annoys me.

Trashed Dixon's run. Contrasted by the others who were saying what a great job he did with his run.

And hey, he's second so how bad was it really? Paul Tracy just likes to think he knows better. That annoys me.

We all remember how Tracy feuded with the Andrettis, so the surprise today (just turned it on) was how Paul went out of his way to praise Marco for everything from being well liked to his approach and finally his q run. Tracy also picked Marco to win, so that's quite a reversal from the past. If Paul is praising an Andretti he must mean it.

Yeah, second is not a bad run, especially considering how close it was. Maybe after the speed they found late yesterday his run was disappointing, but you can sure win this race from second starting spot.

I didnt expect 230's (mph) with the windshields. Cant wait for the Spectacle!

Andretti on pole at Indy...how about that. I hope he takes the win next week. I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t be ecstatic about that. Almost Earnhardt ‘98 type of milestone.
It be nice, but I don't think you flip a switch from winless since 2011 and only 2 wins in career to Indy champion that easily. I wish him the best though.

Andretti on pole at Indy...how about that. I hope he takes the win next week. I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t be ecstatic about that. Almost Earnhardt ‘98 type of milestone.
I think within the Indycar world it might be even bigger.
It be nice, but I don't think you flip a switch from winless since 2011 and only 2 wins in career to Indy champion that easily. I wish him the best though.
Granted, but it is Indy though so anything's possible. He is fast and he did nearly win it in his rookie year. The question is, can the jinx be broken?

The car was barely damaged so they'll repair it, he keeps his place.
I was just now watching this afternoon's practice and saw the whole incident. They said the teams no longer lose their position even if they have to go to a back-up, so he'd have been okay either way. At some point that rule was changed but I wasn't aware of it.

The way everyone is talking Marco is a new man. Serious, confident and relaxed, all at the same time. I mean everyone is talking and many people think this could be the tipping point where Marco wins the 500 and becomes a force every week. I certainly hope so.

Indy is his best track, and the Andretti cars seem really on point so far here. It’s like they did flip a switch, Marco more than anyone else, compared to how they’ve run so far this year. They’ve been consistent in race pace in practice too. It would be crazy but in 2020 of all years it would make some sort of sense.

It (Marco winning) would be crazy but in 2020 of all years it would make some sort of sense.

When nothing makes any sense, the only plausible answer is the thing that makes the least sense.

I'm generally happy no matter who wins the 500, but if it's not Marco this time it will ruin the whole race for me.

Mario Andretti has been a legend to me since the mid-1960's.

I was gonna post about my own personal 2020 birtherism conspiracy theory, but Marco winning the pole means I won't mention pizza delivery guys or pool technicians in Nazareth, PA. I'll just keep to myself theories about interruptions in the DNA chain from Mario on down...

Actually, seeing the interview with Mario yesterday, seeing how much it would mean to him for Marco to win the 500, I'd be OK with it... for Mario.

Mario is a prince of a man. He was the same when he was racing head to head with that A hole Foyt and he has never said a negative word about Marco. Never was a fan of Marco, he and his dad don't have the hunger that Mario had. It would be surprising and what a story if Marco threw his nuts over his shoulder and drove like his Grand Pa did every week.

Mario is a prince of a man. He was the same when he was racing head to head with that A hole Foyt and he has never said a negative word about Marco.

I believe Foyt is actually Jeff's Godfather, or something like that.

Never was a fan of Marco, he and his dad don't have the hunger that Mario had.

I'm guessing he wants to win because he's got it made financially. He doesn't need to do this for any other reason than he wants to. Marco may seem like he's not hungry because he just doesn't throw a fit when he has a bad day. He takes his defeat gracefully and moves on.

It would be surprising and what a story if Marco threw his nuts over his shoulder and drove like his Grand Pa did every week.

He's off to a good start after yesterday.

I'm a stopwatch guy, a lap time guy. I often find it difficult to relate to broadcast graphics that use 'miles per hour' statistics rather than minutes and seconds. Over the course of a 4-lap, 10-mile qualifying run...

Marco Andretti = 2 min 35.798 sec

Scott Dixon = 2 min 35.809 sec

Pole winner's margin = 0.011 sec

(If NBC had used Dartfish overlays like Fox does for Nascar qualifying, the cumulative gap at the end of four laps would have been 3 feet 9 inches.)

Oh my God Danica is terrible at this announcing thing
I'm not the greatest fan of Indycar racing, I tuned in and out a couple of three times. One time they passed it off to Danica by saying Danica...nothing, dead air for like 3 or 4 seconds. I thought they had turned off her mic. :laugh: But I agree NBC is keeping their perfect record of getting some of the most irritating clueless racing announcers in the country.

Oh my God Danica is terrible at this announcing thing

She was good as a studio cutaway commentator last year. Of course, that's when NBC had Junior there next to her looking kinda clueless and out of place. But she was on point. As an actual race announcer, I think she struggles to improvise.

Kody Swanson, USAC Silver Crown dominator, wins the Indy Pro 2000 race at Lucas Oil Raceway on Carb Night in his first series start.
Not a bad show by any means. He and Sting Ray Robb had a long side-by-side battle for 2nd and ultimately made a great pass for the lead on Manuel Sulaiman on the outside while trying to navigate lapped traffic. I have to imagine he’ll make a Freedom 100 attempt next year.

RACER carb day wrap up

It's been a bit odd trying to get excited for the Indy 500 in August. I'de as good as given up in May. I didn't think they would be able to pull it off, but here comes tomorrow. It's kind of like Christmas eve and it's 95 degrees outside. Of course, everything else has been crazy this year, so why not the 500?

After watching most of carb day I'm starting to get excited. The cars look great, they go like hell and we a superbly talented field. NBC coverage is much better than what ABC used to give us, and quali coverage was really good.

Also odd will be seeing the race go on with the plane empty. Normally I don't pay attention to attendance (because I don't care), but it sure looked strange seeing a big string of cars running around together and no one there. Just looked bizarre. I imagine once we get past maybe 10 or 15 laps most of us will just forget about it and pay more attention to the race itself like we have all year.

The sad part for people who can't attend is that this will probably be the of the most viciously fought 500s ever. You can see it better on TV, but nothing beats being there, soaking up the atmosphere and being part of something so huge.

RACER carb day wrap up

It's been a bit odd trying to get excited for the Indy 500 in August. I'de as good as given up in May. I didn't think they would be able to pull it off, but here comes tomorrow. It's kind of like Christmas eve and it's 95 degrees outside. Of course, everything else has been crazy this year, so why not the 500?

After watching most of carb day I'm starting to get excited. The cars look great, they go like hell and we a superbly talented field. NBC coverage is much better than what ABC used to give us, and quali coverage was really good.

Also odd will be seeing the race go on with the plane empty. Normally I don't pay attention to attendance (because I don't care), but it sure looked strange seeing a big string of cars running around together and no one there. Just looked bizarre. I imagine once we get past maybe 10 or 15 laps most of us will just forget about it and pay more attention to the race itself like we have all year.

The sad part for people who can't attend is that this will probably be the of the most viciously fought 500s ever. You can see it better on TV, but nothing beats being there, soaking up the atmosphere and being part of something so huge.

Any race without stages will be highly welcomed by me

Back
Top Bottom