Pre-race: Busch Lite Clash At The Coliseum

Yikes! $35 for parking, its more than the bloody ticket, is that the only option ?
I almost stayed home because the NASCAR site said all of the parking here at the stadium was not available and the only parking they showed was 3/4 of a mile away and it was $50.00. I was surprised to get parking really close to the gate for $35.00.

From NASCAR's twitter.

These cars look amazing.

FK3r9EJUUAI3slA

I almost hate to say this but nascar should have given teams free rein with underbody glow color and design. Everything else is for show in this event, why not?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Not surprised AJ looked smooth, flat tight turns fit him like a road course

NASCAR has created a must see spectacle. I feel bad for the fans who aren’t watching because “it’s not a real racetrack.”

Aside from the gimmicky nature of this race being in a football stadium it's great to see NASCAR go to some short track racing. Can't wait to watch the heats and main event tomorrow

I can't wait for the race tomorrow:)

Pole baby! TRD powered Camry TRD! Hell yes KB!

This would imply that practice was not open. Odd that they'd pass up the concession and souvenir sales, etc.
They really should have opened the gates earlier and let fans watch the practice sessions. There is no way I would go back again for qualifying even if the tickets and parking was free. If I hadn't went early, I would not have gotten the awesome parking spot I got so it was worth getting there early. I got there at 9.00 am and there was already a lot of fans arriving but all you could do for about 4 hours is sit in the parking lot and kick back. Then after they opened the gate, you could sit in your seat for another 4 1/2 hours and look into the sun at the nice empty shady seats on the other side of the track that no one could go sit in. After you went in you could not leave and re-enter. They did have a small fan zone area, but I didn't see much excitement going on there. I will say the food stand did have a chicken strip, fries and a biscuit basket that was actually hot and tasted pretty good. But that and 2 cokes and some popcorn was just under $40.00 but I expected that and didn't mind the price because like I said it was pretty tasty. So, basically, I spent around $100.00 and 8 1/2 hours waiting for about 45 minutes to an hour of actual on track performance. I'm glad I went though, because the cars looked and sounded amazing, and I had never been inside of the coliseum, and I didn't realize just how much history that place has until they showed a video on the big screens. I was really excited about my parking spot after the qualifying was over because I was back to my car within about 5 minutes. Now I'm excited for the 6 hours of tv coverage I will see tomorrow from the comfort of my own chair. :dpepsi::)

Last edited:
I didn’t understand why they closed off practice to the fans. Qualifying looked like there was 5-8,000 people maybe more.

I know practice only matters to a small minority of the fanbase but I feel like a lot of the hot passes, casual TV viewing, and campers really enjoy it.

I didn’t understand why they closed off practice to the fans. Qualifying looked like there was 5-8,000 people maybe more.

I know practice only matters to a small minority of the fanbase but I feel like a lot of the hot passes, casual TV viewing, and campers really enjoy it.
I think if they are serious about making this stadium short track racing a success, they need to make it more fan friendly and allow fans to go watch the crews work on the cars at the haulers and watch practice. I think they could make it so much more fun for the fans and that would entice the fans to want to come back again the following year. That being said, everyone looked like they were having a good time. KDB got a lot of cheers when he took the number 1 spot. :)

They really should have opened the gates earlier and let fans watch the practice sessions.
I can only guess they didn't sell enough tickets to make it worth opening early, that the potential income wouldn't offset the operating costs. Or maybe they planned all along to not be open for practice.
you could sit in your seat for another 4 1/2 hours and look into the sun at the nice empty shady seats on the other side of the track that no one could go sit in.
I'm betting the side of the track you sat on was based 100% on the side you entered through. I'm guessing that side is the 'main' entrance, or closest to the most foot traffic, and that opening on the shady side would have required people to walk all the way around to the 'back' before entering. Strictly speculation; I've never been to the place and likely never will.

I can only guess they didn't sell enough tickets to make it worth opening early, that the potential income wouldn't offset the operating costs. Or maybe they planned all along to not be open for practice.

I'm betting the side of the track you sat on was based 100% on the side you entered through. I'm guessing that side is the 'main' entrance, or closest to the most foot traffic, and that opening on the shady side would have required people to walk all the way around to the 'back' before entering. Strictly speculation; I've never been to the place and likely never will.
They never planned on letting anyone in before 1.00. You are correct about sitting on the side that you entered but you could have walked around to the other side after you entered but they would turn people around at about halfway. There were a lot of fans trying to go to the other side because the sun was so bright. I had really good Ray-Ban sunglasses on, but I kept getting up and going out to the shady area by the restrooms and snack bars because I was getting a headache from staring into the sun for so long. They did an outstanding job building the track though and it is a shame they have to tear it up after the race today.

I feel bad for the fans who aren’t watching because “it’s not a real racetrack.”
I'll be watching and while I don't know how enthusiastic I'll be, I don't think the track itself will be a factor in my final judgement. I've sat on this opinion since the format was announced, but here we go:

I watch Cup, Xfinity, and Truck races because they have longer races than most other series that run on a closed track. There's time for strategies to play out, and for changing conditions to force them to evolve. Drivers have to manage tires, brakes, sometimes fuel, and other resources, and they have to endure. 'Hot' pit stops require the pit crews to play a big role.

From what I've seen when the top three series run similar 'heats and short stages' formats (All-Star and dirt races), today's event will not feature any of those. I have no problem with that for an exhibition race; I'll be watching, at least this first time. But I don't like this format at this level of racing, regardless of track size or permanence; it's why I've skipped the last couple of All-Star nights. Yes, the format is what dozens of short tracks do every weekend, and I enjoy it at those venues, but those tracks and teams don't have the resources to run a race of a few hundred miles and 3+ hours. I acknowledge the track size is one reason for using this format; it's too small to have a 40-car field and pits. They have to eliminate teams somehow, and a longer main is out because there's no room to change tires and refuel. But having Cup teams run this format is like restricting a master chef to making grilled cheese sandwiches; they may be the finest ones possible with the ingredients given, but I know there's so much more she could be doing.

My friend Naz, some of you know, his daughter was there yesterday. She went to a Q&A and took her Chase Elliott Championship jacket. Chase and his PR walked by, he grabbed the jacket and signed it. No one in the crowd knew who he was, or didn't care. In her words, this was not a Fontana crowd.
So, it sounds like Nascar has attracted a lot of new people. Will they return? that is the question.

So, it sounds like Nascar has attracted a lot of new people. Will they return? that is the question.
And if they do, is this format what they'll expect ( want? :( ) to see every week? If they go to Fontana for a 'conventional' race, will they be disappointed? Maybe they'll start going to more local short tracks.

And if they do, is this format what they'll expect ( want? :( ) to see every week? If they go to Fontana for a 'conventional' race, will they be disappointed? Maybe they'll start going to more local short tracks.
That's always been my question/worry. You get new fans to show up to this but not sure how many you'll retain after they go to a "normal" nascar weekend

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Can't even remember the last time I watched a race but I will be tuning in today. I haven't taken the time to watch any of the track time leading up to today's event but I can only imagine the entertainment factor. I've even heard non Nascar fans talking about it so, good for Nascar..... they're achieving what they need. Hopefully this is a huge plus for them.

Back
Top Bottom