Pre-race: Busch Lite Clash At The Coliseum

Can't even remember the last time I watched a race but I will be tuning in today. I haven't taken the time to watch any of the track time leading up to today's event but I can only imagine the entertainment factor. I've even heard non Nascar fans talking about it so, good for Nascar..... they're achieving what they need. Hopefully this is a huge plus for them.
Glad you could join us!

Does Kyle Busch get the pole for winning qualifying or just his heat. This chart from Nascar seems to show just his heat

Attachments

• CLASH_FormatAnnouncement_4x5_F-2048x1638.jpg
    CLASH_FormatAnnouncement_4x5_F-2048x1638.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 92
I like it as well, if I had to nit pick I wish they had run it Saturday under the lights, I know it would be on late but hey, 1/4 mile bull ring has Saturday night written all over it,
I agree. I was trying to figure out why NASCAR waited to so late in the day for qualifying, and then it occurred to me that they wanted the night experience. It was cool, and the cars were unruly,

Don't think I have heard this much positivity around this sport in many years. So cool.

My friend Naz, some of you know, his daughter was there yesterday. She went to a Q&A and took her Chase Elliott Championship jacket. Chase and his PR walked by, he grabbed the jacket and signed it. No one in the crowd knew who he was, or didn't care. In her words, this was not a Fontana crowd.
So, it sounds like Nascar has attracted a lot of new people. Will they return? that is the question.
Every time someone took over the top spot the crowd would cheer...but when they cheered for KDB I knew I was around a lot of newbies. :newbie:'s

I'll be watching and while I don't know how enthusiastic I'll be, I don't think the track itself will be a factor in my final judgement. I've sat on this opinion since the format was announced, but here we go:

I watch Cup, Xfinity, and Truck races because they have longer races than most other series that run on a closed track. There's time for strategies to play out, and for changing conditions to force them to evolve. Drivers have to manage tires, brakes, sometimes fuel, and other resources, and they have to endure. 'Hot' pit stops require the pit crews to play a big role.

From what I've seen when the top three series run similar 'heats and short stages' formats (All-Star and dirt races), today's event will not feature any of those. I have no problem with that for an exhibition race; I'll be watching, at least this first time. But I don't like this format at this level of racing, regardless of track size or permanence; it's why I've skipped the last couple of All-Star nights. Yes, the format is what dozens of short tracks do every weekend, and I enjoy it at those venues, but those tracks and teams don't have the resources to run a race of a few hundred miles and 3+ hours. I acknowledge the track size is one reason for using this format; it's too small to have a 40-car field and pits. They have to eliminate teams somehow, and a longer main is out because there's no room to change tires and refuel. But having Cup teams run this format is like restricting a master chef to making grilled cheese sandwiches; they may be the finest ones possible with the ingredients given, but I know there's so much more she could be doing.
Curious what your work career consisted of. Motorsports don't require this level of overthinking for me to enjoy. You seem too intelligent to watch cars going in circles. Not meant as a snide remark. Just thinking you must have had a career analyzing data. Maybe that's why i sometimes can't figure you out.

I haven’t seen a single commercial promoting this event. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't understand why you haven't. I have seen adds on buildings as far away as Hollywood. It was mentioned by the commentators during a couple of the Rams playoff games, and the local news has mentioned it numerous times in the past few weeks. They mentioned it on the late-night news last night and then again, this morning with video of the practice yesterday.

I don't understand why you haven't. I have seen adds on buildings as far away as Hollywood. It was mentioned by the commentators during a couple of the Rams playoff games, and the local news has mentioned it numerous times in the past few weeks. They mentioned it on the late-night news last night and then again, this morning with video of the practice yesterday.
Hell, maybe I just not been in front of the tube at the right times.

I agree. I was trying to figure out why NASCAR waited to so late in the day for qualifying, and then it occurred to me that they wanted the night experience. It was cool, and the cars were unruly,
It was definitely the right choice to run it last night because the cars looked amazing under the lights, and it would have sucked to try and watch them in the direct sunlight if they ran it in the day. If anyone on here has tickets for today's race, I sure hope your seats are on the south side with your back to the sun and under the suites. That being said my eyes are very sensitive to light and that is why I always buy pretty expensive sunglasses for driving. Maybe it doesn't bother others as much as it did me...especially if they came out from a rainy and snowy part of the country. :)

Just thinking you must have had a career analyzing data.
I was an applications programmer before I switched to PC and network management. In the National Guard, I spent several years an intelligence analyst before switching to artillery targeting. So, yeah, you're spot on. I can't read people that well at all; probably why I stick to data.

If it was just cars going in circles, I probably wouldn't be watching. It's all that stuff I mentioned and more. Even today's event isn't just cars going in circles, but it's closer to it than a regular weekend.

Last edited:

Coliseum Track has me ready to use the bumper

I sure would hate to be the crew guy that had to pull that tool cart all the way to the inside of the track. It is a long way from where the haulers are parked. The guys that bring trays of drinks around to sell sure make their money the hard way. He has to carry a big cart up a long flight of stairs and then he has to make numerous trips up and down the same stairs carrying trays of drinks before he can even start selling them.

NASCAR fanbase could grow if we had better TV partners.

Fox is airing this race in … 720p. Saved the 4K feed for a women’s college basketball game.

These comedy skits are lame.

I sure would hate to be the crew guy that had to pull that tool cart all the way to the inside of the track. It is a long way from where the haulers are parked. The guys that bring trays of drinks around to sell sure make their money the hard way. He has to carry a big cart up a long flight of stairs and then he has to make numerous trips up and down the same stairs carrying trays of drinks before he can even start selling them.
This is the reason my friend Naz is not there today. His back cannot handle the steep steps anymore.

Stupid question: does any regularly play football here?

Oh, look, another useless canned segment with nothing to do with the race at all.

Back
Top Bottom