Race pics and experiences

1zlx7v5.jpg

I spent a few weekends this summer travelling around the Northwest with a bunch of old racing buddies. They're vintage racing 70's and 80's era super modifieds and having a lot of fun. And going fast. One of them offered me an opportunity to take his car out for some laps ... the blue and white 56 above with this old boy in the seat. I had a blast ... like riding a bicycle ... sort of. Mrs. Aunty thinks I should get a package together. I might.

I am reminded that the best things about auto racing are the people and the atmosphere.
Nice!

1zlx7v5.jpg

I spent a few weekends this summer travelling around the Northwest with a bunch of old racing buddies. They're vintage racing 70's and 80's era super modifieds and having a lot of fun. And going fast. One of them offered me an opportunity to take his car out for some laps ... the blue and white 56 above with this old boy in the seat. I had a blast ... like riding a bicycle ... sort of. Mrs. Aunty thinks I should get a package together. I might.

I am reminded that the best things about auto racing are the people and the atmosphere.
So the mrs is on board? No excuses now :D

Got to two races this year, so thought I might as well post a couple pics. Kentucky and Fall Dega, both races were pretty much snooze feasts, well at least until the last lap at Dega. Took advantage of the 24$ student ticket discount for the Dega race, was an awesome deal, seats were solid enough and made the day super cheep (glad I didn't play $175 per for better seats). Got the Kentucky tickets for about $80 per seat, which is a pretty solid deal I think.

Both facilities were pretty great, I guess they were both built up for larger crowds than they get now so it never felt too packed. Would have been great to see a Dega race 10-20 years ago when the track was in its prime, all that action would have probably worn you out by the end of it.

V58tlXT.jpg

JRjb1mn.jpg

Glad I was able to get to events this year, haven't been since Michigan in 2006 when I was much younger. Though its sort of ironic I finally get to a race again the season after Jr. retires, as has was always my favorite driver. Hope to go again sometime soon.

More pics of 2017. If you don't go to races in your area please go, support your track. Have to go at least once in your lifetime. It's a totally different experience.

Dale Jr's last race.

Untitled by jpjr501, on Flickr

At the time Kenseth's last race. Well his last race for JGR.

Nascar 3 by jpjr501, on Flickr

The Championship 4.

Nascar 5 by jpjr501, on Flickr

We had great seats, sit up high in Turn 1 under the awning so we don't roast.

Nascar 4 by jpjr501, on Flickr

Here is the difference between roasting in the sun for a few hours or buying tickets smart. Dale Jr fans packing the stands.

Nascar 6 by jpjr501, on Flickr

The sun set and the racing changed, Truex's car woke up and he passed the 18 for the lead and never looked back.

by jpjr501, on Flickr

Look at this sky, what a great day.

The 2017 Champion, Truex.

Fan Zone

Nascar 16 by jpjr501, on Flickr

Big Ass Daytona Trophy.

Nascar 18 by jpjr501, on Flickr

What an interesting weekend.

My two boys (13 & 19) and I had Friday night truck tickets. We got there around 2:45 to see other events (Xfinity practice, Truck Qualifying, Cup Qualifying, etc.).

After we watched Truck qualifying we were walking around and my youngest son says "Clint Bowyer and cash are in the Ford area." We role up and I snap a few pics and we're about to leave when the announcer says Clint is giving away Garage / Pit passes if you can answer a trivia questions. Both my boys are walking NASCAR trivia Wikipedia pages. So Clint asks the question (you can see it in the YouTube Video 2:48 of the video below). The question was asked and of hundreds of people there my oldest son Joseph raises his hand. I'm like Clint is in for it now. Well in the video that wasn't the original question, he had asked a different queston about the Taladega running order by my son said, "after Kurt Busch ran out of fuel on the last lap or before?" Clint was like oh yeah, he did. Then he rephrased the question to the one you hear in the video.

Then the night changed with those Garage passes. All of sudden we're walking the garage running into drivers. I bumped into Matt Crafton literally 3 times, seems like he was looking for attention. Reddick I also ran into and when I say that I mean it. People have to stay behind the yellow line including drivers so we're all jammed into a little area. Algier, Poole and a few others are in the video.

My son got a picture with the Truck Champion literally minutes of him climbing into the truck and winning the race plus Championship.

My son got a picture with Natalie Decker, he's got a thing. She was very nice.

We bought Dale Jr's book on Friday and those who did got a guaranteed signature from Dale on Sunday so we went back for that.

You can see all of the above in the video.

Here are just a few pics for those who are at work.

I do not remember a time when Dale Jr was able to sign from the merchandise hauler. I am sure he loves it.

I do not remember a time when Dale Jr was able to sign from the merchandise hauler. I am sure he loves it.

Funny you say that because I told my son there is no way he's going to be basically in the parking lot in plain view of everyone signing your book.

I was wrong, this trailer was right at the main gate, the line for the signing was 2 miles and the crowd in front of the trailer watching him sign all those books was probably 3 or 4,000.

He walked up to the trailer by himself (well with two security dudes trailing 12-15 feet behind, white t-shirt and backpack) and jumped right in. He didn't look up at all the people (mostly drunks from the parking lot) screaming to him about Dale Sr. mostly.

I was very impressed, he got to sign everyone's book in that 2 mile long line in about 55 minutes. He then walked away by himself (security trailing) and as people tried to get his autograph while walking he said he had to be in the booth in 15 minutes. Most respected that and backed off.

It was a great weekend, sorry that it's over. Both my boys said they had the best weekend of their life. It's a very proud Dad moment to hear that. I got teenagers that want to hang with their parents, it's a rare sight so I'll take it.

It's a very proud Dad moment to hear that. I got teenagers that want to hang with their parents, it's a rare sight so I'll take it.

That's what it is about right there. I'm glad all had a great time.

3-4000 sounds like what I would expect. They didn't show the line in the photos.

That's what it is about right there. I'm glad all had a great time.

3-4000 sounds like what I would expect. They didn't show the line in the photos.

The line is in the video I posted above all those photos, it's at 10:05 while I'm walking down the row with all the Mustangs. I point out how long the line is.

Thanks man!

EDIT - By the way, my son Joseph tagged Natalie Decker on Instagram, he posted the picture. She replied with hearts. Haha, he's smitten.

Reactions: Pat
What an interesting weekend.

My two boys (13 & 19) and I had Friday night truck tickets. We got there around 2:45 to see other events (Xfinity practice, Truck Qualifying, Cup Qualifying, etc.).

After we watched Truck qualifying we were walking around and my youngest son says "Clint Bowyer and cash are in the Ford area." We role up and I snap a few pics and we're about to leave when the announcer says Clint is giving away Garage / Pit passes if you can answer a trivia questions. Both my boys are walking NASCAR trivia Wikipedia pages. So Clint asks the question (you can see it in the YouTube Video 2:48 of the video below). The question was asked and of hundreds of people there my oldest son Joseph raises his hand. I'm like Clint is in for it now. Well in the video that wasn't the original question, he had asked a different queston about the Taladega running order by my son said, "after Kurt Busch ran out of fuel on the last lap or before?" Clint was like oh yeah, he did. Then he rephrased the question to the one you hear in the video.

Then the night changed with those Garage passes. All of sudden we're walking the garage running into drivers. I bumped into Matt Crafton literally 3 times, seems like he was looking for attention. Reddick I also ran into and when I say that I mean it. People have to stay behind the yellow line including drivers so we're all jammed into a little area. Algier, Poole and a few others are in the video.

My son got a picture with the Truck Champion literally minutes of him climbing into the truck and winning the race plus Championship.

My son got a picture with Natalie Decker, he's got a thing. She was very nice.

We bought Dale Jr's book on Friday and those who did got a guaranteed signature from Dale on Sunday so we went back for that.

You can see all of the above in the video.

Here are just a few pics for those who are at work.

Awesome Bud!

@Jeff Turner welcome to the board. Hope you will stick around. Good looking kids too... actually gorgeous.

Thanks Lew! I have a another daughter too - my middle child - haven't gotten her to a race yet because she's a bit of a whiner/complainer, but hopefully she grows out of that and we'll get her to come along soon.

A dad and his two young son's first time experiences going to a Nascar race. It is really good.

Great Video. Kind of interesting the young boy picked the M&M Car, my guess is, because he could relate to it, way cool.
40/700HP cars going by at speed and the little one crashes on Dads lap, LOL. I swear kids can sleep anywhere when they finally let go.
I see lots of kids this size at every Nascar Race I attend and all are excited and happy, gotta love the good ole USA. :punkrocke

Great Video. Kind of interesting the young boy picked the M&M Car, my guess is, because he could relate to it, way cool.
40/700HP cars going by at speed and the little one crashes on Dads lap, LOL. I swear kids can sleep anywhere when they finally let go.
I see lots of kids this size at every Nascar Race I attend and all are excited and happy, gotta love the good ole USA. :punkrocke

Luke the dad has a Catfish and Carp YouTube channel in addition to the Outdoor Boys channel.. He takes those kids out fishing in the snow, rain, other countries you name it. They catch some big ones and are always into something. Yeah, you see sponsorship at work with young Tommy.

I'm at a racing show and was literally just standing next to Ray Evernham, so awesome pics later

Back to back race things for me. This weekend I'm in Atlantic City for the indoor races. Champ karts, sling shots and TQ Midgets. Got a great seat right above the start finish line. Have more pics later tonight.
FB_IMG_1548545569511.jpg

Ok here are some more shots from the 17th Gamblers Classic tonight in Atlantic City.
Steve Post from MRN was doing the announcing.
FB_IMG_1548568527596.jpg

These are from during the heat races for the TQ midgets
FB_IMG_1548568540250.jpg
FB_IMG_1548568551294.jpg

Champ karts, which featured a guy running over the tire barrier under caution
FB_IMG_1548568587270.jpg

This was during the B mains, where one of the drivers got mad after being wrecked threw his steering wheel and flipped off the other driver. He then after the race was over preceded to chase him into the garage area which you couldn't see but all the officials went running cause he looked like he wanted to kick his ass. I was sitting next to a guy who raced with him back in the early 90s and said he has always been like that, and said he got put in the fence at Wall Stadium in street stocks over some tiny thing.
FB_IMG_1548568605318.jpg

These are the sling shots, crazy race. The white 69 is Tyler Truex, cousin of Martin and Ryan.
FB_IMG_1548568615103.jpg

FB_IMG_1548568684834.jpg

Gamblers Classic winner Andy Jankowiak, great race lots of action a couple guys took some wild rides but everyone was ok.
FB_IMG_1548568722770.jpg
FB_IMG_1548568746224.jpg

Some photos from my Hall of Fame trip and The Clash/500 practice day. Back story on a couple of these.

- Gordon, Ray Evernham, and Mr H signed my Martinsville win car.
- My girlfriend's son had Chase sign his 1:64 (didn't have anything else on us!) and Chase just signed a C9 due to lack of space LOL just to give him something special. Respect. He got a fist bump too.
- The lady got interviewed by Chuck Bush from Blaney's podcast for about 10 mins for a nascar.com video. Pretty sick! They saw her nascar sweater and just wanted to ask her some general questions like thought son the rules package, what it means to come to Daytona as a fan, why Chase is her favorite, 500 winner and season champion predictions, thoughts on the Supra, etc. They came up to us after and said it was the best interview all day, I told them she had only been watching for a couple of years and they told me I did a great job teaching her LOL.
- The on track photos were taken at speed - shout out to Samsung!

Enjoy!

upload_2019-2-11_11-55-16.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-55-39.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-56-36.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-55-57.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-56-19.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-58-6.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-58-20.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-58-37.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-58-50.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-58-58.png

Some photos from my Hall of Fame trip and The Clash/500 practice day. Back story on a couple of these.

- Gordon, Ray Evernham, and Mr H signed my Martinsville win car.
- My girlfriend's son had Chase sign his 1:64 (didn't have anything else on us!) and Chase just signed a C9 due to lack of space LOL just to give him something special. Respect. He got a fist bump too.
- The lady got interviewed by Chuck Bush from Blaney's podcast for about 10 mins for a nascar.com video. Pretty sick! They saw her nascar sweater and just wanted to ask her some general questions like thought son the rules package, what it means to come to Daytona as a fan, why Chase is her favorite, 500 winner and season champion predictions, thoughts on the Supra, etc. They came up to us after and said it was the best interview all day, I told them she had only been watching for a couple of years and they told me I did a great job teaching her LOL.
- The on track photos were taken at speed - shout out to Samsung!

Enjoy!

Awesome stuff man. Looks like a good time :cheers:

Just got back from my first trip to the 500.

Stayed at Browns Speedweeks Campground about a mile from the track. Had a shuttle that was real easy to use. Campsite was $40 a night and plenty of space. Unfortunately the people next to us had a loud generator and it ran 24/7 since they never did anything but sit inside their RV. Ended up spending most of the time on the other side of our trailer just to block some of the noise. Not much of a party scene they said they had a bonfire pit with live bands but didn't see it. Clean campsite, showers and portajohns and good trash service. Would definitely recommend.

Race was good, was in section 179. Plate racing isn't my favorite but cool to experience the 500. Not sure if I'll go back next year, if I do I'll probably plan it out better and stay somewhere with full hookups to avoid the generator crowd.

Back
Top Bottom