Race pics and experiences

Just got back from my first trip to the 500.

Stayed at Browns Speedweeks Campground about a mile from the track. Had a shuttle that was real easy to use. Campsite was $40 a night and plenty of space. Unfortunately the people next to us had a loud generator and it ran 24/7 since they never did anything but sit inside their RV. Ended up spending most of the time on the other side of our trailer just to block some of the noise. Not much of a party scene they said they had a bonfire pit with live bands but didn't see it. Clean campsite, showers and portajohns and good trash service. Would definitely recommend.

Race was good, was in section 179. Plate racing isn't my favorite but cool to experience the 500. Not sure if I'll go back next year, if I do I'll probably plan it out better and stay somewhere with full hookups to avoid the generator crowd.

If your rig is 30' or less this is a great place.Plan well ahead, several month's if you can, and get an online reservation at Tomoka State Park Campground. It's North of the track on the Halifax River. It's an easy 15- 20 minute drive from the track. They have power and water hookups and we always reserve early enough to get a spot next to a bathhouse/restroom. At $24 a site you can't beat it. I started reserving the campsites for our June trip from here (Florida) to Oregon and back last Sept.

Last edited:
A8B7817C-2341-4E28-B817-1D8D2AE57DC3.jpeg
7A3B7EBA-4E09-457D-BB26-1931B23CFE3B.jpeg
2BBEA632-EC92-4228-BEB8-4F14C80BA98B.jpeg
46CF9A18-589F-4153-A812-0184FDC33EF3.jpeg
Not exactly a race experience but walked around the old Nazareth Speedway yesterday. What a shame, was a really cool track.

View attachment 39955 View attachment 39954 View attachment 39953 View attachment 39952Not exactly a race experience but walked around the old Nazareth Speedway yesterday. What a shame, was a really cool track.

Around Christmas I got a chance to meet a former Nazareth exec under Roger Penske's ownership. Great convo and learned a lot...

My family is from the Lehigh Valley. I lived in Bethlehem when I was kid (1985-1993) and I attended many races at Nazareth. I would see Mario and his Lamborghini at the local Hanna's car wash and KMart time to time. I also have vague memories of the old dirt track that closed down in 1988. It's a shame what ISC did to Nazareth. The track was extremely unique and was located in a hotbed for racing. Nearby Flemmington saw a similar face.

I think once Pocono committed to stepping up its game in the late 90's, early 00's NASCAR felt there was no place for Nazareth.

Woo you got to make it this year eh?

Nice pics!

Absolutely! I would not be denied!! Last year was literally the "perfect" storm. Only time I failed to attend a race I had a ticket to in over 100 attempts.

Martinsville is a very photogenic place! I love the area overall!

Here is my footage of the Stadium Super Trucks incident involving Bill Hynes and (almost) Robby Gordon last weekend.

Apologies for the delay. I'm still working on editing my footage of the Cup race.

My dad and I were able to get hot passes for the Cup race, and I spent the first half of it on pit road.

Here is my footage of the Stadium Super Trucks incident involving Bill Hynes and (almost) Robby Gordon last weekend.

Apologies for the delay. I'm still working on editing my footage of the Cup race.

My dad and I were able to get hot passes for the Cup race, and I spent the first half of it on pit road.

Wow that was scary. Near disaster.

FB_IMG_1555269601344.jpg

My first ever trip to a dirt track brings me to New Jerseys 5/8 mile Bridgeport Speedway, racing doesn't start until 5 so watching an exciting water truck battle.

Here are some pictures from tonight at Bridgeport, which featured URC sprint car series 360s, Big Block modifieds, and 602 Crates.
FB_IMG_1555294206726.jpg
#43 in the Big Blocks is Jimmy Horton, who may best be remembered by NASCAR fans as the guy who flipped over the wall at Talladega in '93, he finished 3rd

FB_IMG_1555294215048.jpg
FB_IMG_1555294228016.jpg
602 Crates featured ARCA Daytona starter and son of Andy Belmont Andrew Belmont. Another Belmont who I'm guessing is his brother was part of the biggest crash of the night when when he made contact with another car and that car rolled twice, I of course was looking the other direction when it happened.

FB_IMG_1555294236089.jpg
the 5/8ths mile was real fast, quick time in the sprint car was an average of almost 130 mph. When WoO races here next month they will only use the 3/8ths layout. Track also has a quarter mile layout.

Sad to see only 15 modifieds start the feature at Bridgeport. The past few years they've had 20+ weekly. This year with their new rules that allow small block modifieds to run with the big blocks, plus have a weight break and higher spoilers along with high side panels, it's driven a lot of guys with big blocks away to nearby tracks. The small block is the way to go there now. Cool videos, @kkfan91 . The URC guys get up and go around that place.

Sad to see only 15 modifieds start the feature at Bridgeport. The past few years they've had 20+ weekly. This year with their new rules that allow small block modifieds to run with the big blocks, plus have a weight break and higher spoilers along with high side panels, it's driven a lot of guys with big blocks away to nearby tracks. The small block is the way to go there now. Cool videos, @kkfan91 . The URC guys get up and go around that place.
There were 20 who showed up, but a few engine issues in the heat's and one broken suspension piece knocked the feature down. Plus from the sounds of it the way the weather looked a few didn't want to make the trip.

#43 in the Big Blocks is Jimmy Horton, who may best be remembered by NASCAR fans as the guy who flipped over the wall at Talladega in '93, he finished 3rd
I remember back in the early 80's Jimmy was driving sprint cars and big blocks at Bridgeport. Coming from the midwest, that 5/8ths mile track seemed huge. Good to see some of the old timers still running. I wonder what Barefoot Bob is up to these days.

I remember back in the early 80's Jimmy was driving sprint cars and big blocks at Bridgeport. Coming from the midwest, that 5/8ths mile track seemed huge. Good to see some of the old timers still running. I wonder what Barefoot Bob is up to these days.
Retirement. But they did have him in the commentary booth for a race a couple years back.

Man, I miss my Flemington (when it was dirt) days... never forget watching Ploski and Pauch "ride the fence."

F7F9E216-6E68-4287-BA4D-85369D9E84A9.jpeg
Nice April night at Five Mile Point Speedway in Binghamton, NY. The pits overflowed into the infield. 57 big block modifieds, 40 crate sportsman and many more cars in attendance. Plus a standing room only crowd.

Post some pictures later on but had a great first trip to Grandview Speedway in Bechtelsville PA. NASCAR sanctioned dirt track that runs Modifieds and Sportsman. When it came to dirt I've always been a winged sprint car guy, but my appreciation for dirt mods is growing. I know they had 45 show up for the modifieds, 28 for the feature. Really filled up the 1/3rd mile track

Just bought my seats for the Bristol Night Race in August. It's always been the top of my bucket list.

Also probably gonna hit Charlotte, Dega, and Atlanta while I'm living here in Georgia.

So far of the tracks I've been to:

1. Phoenix
2. Darlington
3. Daytona
4. Kansas
5. Texas
6. Brickyard
7. Homestead

Drove up to Kutztown Pa's Action Track USA tonight for the Dick Tobias Classic a 75 lap feature for USAC Speedstrs. Also 600 micro sprints and slingshots. Sprint car hall of Famer Dave Darland was there driving a Speedstr, unfortunately a severe line of thunderstorms showed up after the B main and the rest of the night was cancelled.

FB_IMG_1558318777088.jpg
FB_IMG_1558318790948.jpg

Was racing just monster truck drag racing or time trials with 2 rounds?
They did 3 parts, time over 2 things of cars, drag racing, and freestyle

Back
Top Bottom