Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Daytona testing is less than two weeks away.....

image.adapt.955.medium.jpg

- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams test Jan. 9-10 in advance of the 56th annual DAYTONA 500 on Feb. 23.

- The NASCAR Nationwide Series will test Jan. 11-12 for their season-opening event, the Feb. 22 DRIVE4COPD 300.

- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams will test Jan. 13-14 to get ready for the NextEra Energy Resources 250 on Feb. 21.

Didn't want to start a whole thread about this, so I'll just ask it on here. My dad and I are heading to Talladega this Spring for the race. First off...it's CRAZY how expensive the hotels are during race weekends. We usually stay at resorts but we got rid of the timeshare so this time we are spending three nights at a hotel. Simple hotels such as Super 8 are charging $160 per night in the city of Talladega and the Motel 6 30 miles North is charging $85 per night. We are cheap, so we are just gonna take the 60 mile drive from Birmingham each day. My question though to anyone who has been is where's the best place to sit?? You'd think the easy answer would be at the start finish line, but with this track being so large, I'm curious as to how tough it is to see the backstretch, so I'd prefer to sit somewhere with a good view of the HD screen. Is there anyone here who has been that could give me a tip on that issue along with any other tips I might need to know.

Didn't want to start a whole thread about this, so I'll just ask it on here. My dad and I are heading to Talladega this Spring for the race. First off...it's CRAZY how expensive the hotels are during race weekends. We usually stay at resorts but we got rid of the timeshare so this time we are spending three nights at a hotel. Simple hotels such as Super 8 are charging $160 per night in the city of Talladega and the Motel 6 30 miles North is charging $85 per night. We are cheap, so we are just gonna take the 60 mile drive from Birmingham each day. My question though to anyone who has been is where's the best place to sit?? You'd think the easy answer would be at the start finish line, but with this track being so large, I'm curious as to how tough it is to see the backstretch, so I'd prefer to sit somewhere with a good view of the HD screen. Is there anyone here who has been that could give me a tip on that issue along with any other tips I might need to know.
I wish I could help you out but I've never been there. Plan to one of these days and when I do, I plan on getting some seats in the towers along the front stretch, dead center if possible. I think that would be a great place to sit and view that finish heading down to the start/finish line. I'd bet that you have a view of one of those portable jumbotrons from just about any seating location.

I have been to Talladega several times and have always sat upper deck on the front stretch. This is one of the few places I have ever used binoculars. The parking lot before and after the race is world class.

We stayed in Birmingham every time and they had three night minimums back then.

You are going to love the racing.

Daytona testing is less than two weeks away.....

image.adapt.955.medium.jpg

- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams test Jan. 9-10 in advance of the 56th annual DAYTONA 500 on Feb. 23.

- The NASCAR Nationwide Series will test Jan. 11-12 for their season-opening event, the Feb. 22 DRIVE4COPD 300.

- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series teams will test Jan. 13-14 to get ready for the NextEra Energy Resources 250 on Feb. 21.

Is this gonna be on TV or nascar.com? At this point I'd watch track drying.

At this point I'd watch track drying.

What ever floats your boat but here ya go. I think there is some way of throwing this on a continuous loop but I don't know for sure.

Not sure if you're 'old school' or not so here's this one too.....

Personally I think the tandem drying efforts at Talladega are more interesting.

But then again, the 'old school' method seemed more apt to produce more drama.

Last edited:
What ever floats your boat but here ya go. I think there is some way of throwing this on a continuous loop but I don't know for sure.

Ah, my withdrawals have been curbed.

Oh Juan, you left us with such a great memory.

Been about a dozen times over past 18 years. Best seats IMO are Tri-oval tower (south end sections A to K) and you need to be at least 35 -40 rows up. I haven't been since fall 2009, but if I remember right, if you bought in advance you had to buy both days (NWS & Cup) and they were around $150. If you want to go elsewhere, move to the south(turn 1). OV Hill South Tower are actually just as good and Birmingham is also OK. Just remember you need to get up a ways to really see the backstretch. If you want to go cheaper, stay in the towers and move toward Turn 1. Don't move toward turn 4, I sat in Anniston years ago for a Busch race and my neck hurt for a week. Go early and I would highly recommend parking on the other side of Jackson Trace from the track. You'll walk a little farther, but its better getting out. Someone earlier mentioned the parking lot being "world class", they were talking about the partying going on, not the lot conditions. Been to a lot of tracks, and the parking lot (also camping) at Dega tops them all. Have a good time.

Atlanta is an hour's drive and they don't usually raise the motel rates for the Dega races, check them out and as far as seats go we always get between the start/finish line and turn four above row 35 in the tower and we love it.

Atlanta is an hour's drive and they don't usually raise the motel rates for the Dega races, check them out and as far as seats go we always get between the start/finish line and turn four above row 35 in the tower and we love it.

How can you do that drive in an hour?

Been about a dozen times over past 18 years. Best seats IMO are Tri-oval tower (south end sections A to K) and you need to be at least 35 -40 rows up. I haven't been since fall 2009, but if I remember right, if you bought in advance you had to buy both days (NWS & Cup) and they were around $150. If you want to go elsewhere, move to the south(turn 1). OV Hill South Tower are actually just as good and Birmingham is also OK. Just remember you need to get up a ways to really see the backstretch. If you want to go cheaper, stay in the towers and move toward Turn 1. Don't move toward turn 4, I sat in Anniston years ago for a Busch race and my neck hurt for a week. Go early and I would highly recommend parking on the other side of Jackson Trace from the track. You'll walk a little farther, but its better getting out. Someone earlier mentioned the parking lot being "world class", they were talking about the partying going on, not the lot conditions. Been to a lot of tracks, and the parking lot (also camping) at Dega tops them all. Have a good time.

Great information, thanks! It's showing the two day pass for the tri-over towers at $160 pre purchased and $170 purchased on the race weekend. The OV Hill South extension is $175 pre purchased and $185 purchased during the race weekend. So basically, the tri-towers $160 would be the best way to go? What kind of turnout can we expect? I mean, we are also going to the Arca race on Friday, so if we kinda walked around a bit during that race before buying the tickets so we could get a feel for which seats we like, do you think there would still be tickets in the "good" seats for the Nationwide and Sprint Cup races?

Also, thanks for the info about parking. That can typically be a huge pain at sporting events.

Great information, thanks! It's showing the two day pass for the tri-over towers at $160 pre purchased and $170 purchased on the race weekend. The OV Hill South extension is $175 pre purchased and $185 purchased during the race weekend. So basically, the tri-towers $160 would be the best way to go? What kind of turnout can we expect? I mean, we are also going to the Arca race on Friday, so if we kinda walked around a bit during that race before buying the tickets so we could get a feel for which seats we like, do you think there would still be tickets in the "good" seats for the Nationwide and Sprint Cup races?
Also, thanks for the info about parking. That can typically be a huge pain at sporting events.

I've never sat in the extension, but I believe these may be better than TO tower, just expect a bigger climb than TO to get to them.. I not sure when these were even built, although I'm pretty sure they were there in 2009. Either TO or the extension should be good, just be up at least 40 rows. They may still have good seats on Friday, but if it were me I'd purchase ahead. The attendance has been way down the last few years, but they don't put near as many seats up for sale as they used to. Used to have like a 145,000 seats for sale, but I've heard they reduced the number for sale again in 2014 so its under 90,000. Parking shouldn't be an issue. The lot across Jackson Trace from the track is huge and was probably only half full the last few times I was there.

How can you do that drive in an hour?
We only went to the Talladega race one time that we didn't camp and it was a few years ago so I checked with the wife and it was Douglasville & I-20, and the rates were really reasonable and it was an hour's drive if we left early.

@dustinlong NASCAR … Fox rep says only Daytona afternoon test sessions on Fox Sports 1 will be streamed online (Fox Sports Go).

from jayski.....

Some Daytona Testing to be Televised: the 2014 version of NASCAR cars and trucks take to the track at Daytona for preseason test sessions, with FOX Sports 1 providing 12 hours of coverage over three days from Jan. 9-11. The NASCAR on FOX team of Darrell Waltrip, Larry McReynolds and Mike Joy call the action while NASCAR Sprint Cup Series cars are on the track Jan. 9-10 (1:00 pm/et to 5:00 pm/et, Live), with Bob Dillner and Matt Yocum reporting from the pits and Jeff Hammond reporting from the garage. Setting up camp in the garage area, host Rick Allen and analyst Hermie Sadler offer a location for drivers, crew chiefs and other personalities to talk over the days storylines. NASCAR Nationwide Series tests air on FOX Sports 1 from 3:00pm/et to 7:00pm/et on Saturday, Jan. 11, with Allen, Hammond and Phil Parsons in the booth, and Sadler, Dillner and Ray Dunlap reporting from the pits

Last edited:
From jayski.....

Dave Despain back on TV: Renowned motor racing broadcaster Dave Despain {formerly of SPEED's Wind Tunnel show] has signed a two-year contract with MAVTV American Real to host the network's five live events, beginning with the Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals presented by General Tire on Jan. 18, and a series of 30-minute, one-on-one programs interviewing drivers and other personalities from across the diverse American racing landscape. The 67-year old Despain was attracted to joining the burgeoning independent network owned by Forrest Lucas by the opportunity to return to working at the race track and hosting the "Dave Despain Show."
"I'm really excited to get back to the grass roots of racing," Despain said. "And I'm also excited about being able to do a series of long-form interviews, the majority of which will feature the legends of grass-roots racing. We'll try to mix it up and have an interesting variety of personalities from all over the racing world

Back
Top Bottom